Do You Always Blwo Hair Your Hair Before Getting It Braided?

GraceJones

I usually get my hair braided in cornrows for a protective style to fit under my wigs. I can't braid myself so I go to the hairdresser. Usually the hairdresser tells me that my hair needs to be blowdried before getting braided. Do you guys always do this? I'm natural and I wash and a DC once biweekly. I don't want to get heat damage or split ends blow-drying every two weeks. Any alternatives?

I've tried blowdrying on low heat and just stretching with my hands but hair dressers usually still complain that it needs to be blowdried more. I have 4c hair

I also tried to braid it myself but I still can't get the braids flat enough. When I put my wig on it looks like it is floating so I rather pay someone else to do it.

I always blow dry my hair before. It never occurred to me not to.

Maybe you can try stretching your hair but I don't think that'll be straight enough.

Thann

Yeah I always blowdry now. I don't like them blowing my air dried hair, which is what has happened in the past when I didn't bother doing it myself.

I like making it as straightforward as possible so that they have no issues parting or combing my hair.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
For putting on wigs, I either braid or flat twist myself, and I never blow dry it first. I typically braid or twist on slightly damp hair. I have many types of 4 on my head, and I'm natural.

ETA: I only get it blow dried for actual braided styles that I wear out.

GGsKin

For putting on wigs, I either braid or flat twist myself, and I never blow dry it first. I typically braid or twist on slightly damp hair. I have many types of 4 on my head, and I'm natural.

ETA: I only get it blow dried for actual braided styles that I wear out.

^^^I also do this.

lux10023

i never blow dry I'm not putting unnec heat on my hair so that a braider can braid easily..learn to bread while my hair is in its natural state...ugh

i started braiding my own hair because i was annoyed by this request..and i do so when its wet..loaded with conditions or oil...

BostonMaria

I never blow dry my hair before I braid (my hair is 3B/3C), but maybe you can blow dry on cold air if you're worried about breakage/heat damage.

ClassyJSP

I always wash and blow dry my hair prior to getting it braided under my wigs. I usually do it every 2-3 weeks and haven't had any negative things happen

ms.blue

A must for me. I actually suffered a setback late last yr with a braider. My hair was actually blowdryed and she still ripped through my hair. So now, I lightly flatiron before getting my hair braided. Even though I don't like the idea of doing that, I experience way less breakage.

Dominant

I usually blow dry my hair just enough to stretch it so I don't have to worry about the braider ripping through my natural hair while she's parting/combing.