Do you apply your henna to dry oiled hair?

How do YOU henna?

• Total voters

sheba1

Hey ladies,

For those of you that henna, do you oil your hair and then apply the henna to the dry oiled hair? Or do you rinse the oil out and then apply henna to damp hair?

I looked through a couple threads but I'm having issue making this distinction.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ceebee3

I apply the henna after my deep conditioner when my hair is about 80% dry. I only use water for my henna and indigo mix and so far so good.

vkb247

I prefer to cowash my hair, towel scrunch water out, apply coconut oil, let sit for about 20 minutes than apply the henna. But sometimes I just throw the henna on like conditioner depending on how dirty/filled with product my hair is. I almost always have oil in my hair but havve used a pre poo before henna.

testimony777

I apply it to clean damp hair. I used to apply it to clean dry pre oiled hair but I have found that applying it to damp hair helps with the distribution. I mix my henna with glycerin, honey, and a few drops of essential peppermint and rosemary oils though.

Kellum

I've applied to damp hair and dry hair. I always clarify first and then apply my henna. I mix EVO, EVCO and honey in my henna. I don't apply oil to my hair. I prefer to apply it to damp hair when I don't have a lot of new growth. When I have a lot of new growth I like to apply it dry. That way I am not fooling too much with my damp new growth and create a problem. I always DC with a moisturizing DC for at least an hour to over night after I henna.

Stella B.

I've applied henna to clean dry hair, dirty hair, and to clean damp (shampooed) hair. It works either way, but I like applying henna to my damp hair. It's a personal preference. I've never done it on pre-oiled hair, because I'm thinking some non absorbing oils could act as a barrier and slow down the henna in getting underneath the cuticle.. If any oils are involved, I will add a few squirts of coconut oil to the henna mix, right before applying it to my hair. The henna needs something on the hair to cling to; I find it absorbs better on my head if my hair is slightly damp. When I first did the BKT, I was very hesitant to henna, because I wasn't sure if the the BKT and the henna would be fighting for cuticle space. Now that the BKT has started to fade, I can think about 'hennaing' again soon!!!! :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Tiye

Choice number three. I shampoo afterwards. This is the equivalent of a pre-shampoo deep condition.

bebezazueta

I actually did a hot oil treatment on dry hair and didn't wash it out and put the henna on my dirty oily hair and it came out great! Henna can be a bit drying so that's why I stay oiled up before. I used V05 moisture milks after I rinse out the henna and it just melted away the tangles. Try out all options and see what works best for you. Henna treatments has my hair strong and thick! So it's a win win situation. HHG!

LadyPBC

I apply the henna after my deep conditioner when my hair is about 80% dry. I only use water for my henna and indigo mix and so far so good.

wait - you only use water and it still releases the dye in your henna? I've been using ACV I would love to use just water too.:yep:

Mecca_Goddess

I've applied henna to clean dry hair, dirty hair, and to clean damp (shampooed) hair. It works either way, but I like applying henna to my damp hair. It's a personal preference. I've never done it on pre-oiled hair, because I'm thinking some non absorbing oils could act as a barrier and slow down the henna in getting underneath the cuticle.. If any oils are involved, I will add a few squirts of coconut oil to the henna mix, right before applying it to my hair. The henna needs something on the hair to cling to; I find it absorbs better on my head if my hair is slightly damp. When I first did the BKT, I was very hesitant to henna, because I wasn't sure if the the BKT and the henna would be fighting for cuticle space. Now that the BKT has started to fade, I can think about 'hennaing' again soon!!!! :drunk::drunk::drunk:

This sort of answered my question. (not trying to hijack) I was under the impression that if you used henna on BKT'd hair, you would end up with protein overload.... Am I wrong?

frizzy

Honestly, I've done all 3 methods at one time or another and it works either way. But my preference is to (clean) dry hair that was oiled the night before.

Nasdaq_Diva

I apply to clean, clarified hair. I t-shirt dry until it's about 40% dry, then start applying it to sections. Working the henna through wet/semi wet hair allows it to glide on smoother.

jamaica68

I apply to clean, clarified hair. I t-shirt dry until it's about 40% dry, then start applying it to sections. Working the henna through wet/semi wet hair allows it to glide on smoother.

I agree it's so much easier to apply with damp hair.

BostonMaria

My hair is long and not easy to detangle if I try to finger section it in order to apply henna.

I add oils to the henna batch, then apply the henna to my dry hair. I part in sections to make sure I get every area of my noggin lol

tri3nity

I've only henna'd once to clean clarified hair and I am loving the results. I added 2 tbl spn of conditioner, 2 tbl spn of grapeseed oil and molasses. It rinsed out effortlessly and the color came out really nice. I have had very minimal shedding and it's strong and glossy. I plan to henna once a month.

baddison

natural for good
I apply henna to dry hair, Friday night, right before bedtime.:yep: I just mix my NUPUR with room-temp coffee, amla oil, and condish. Then I part and apply. I get great color release overnite - every single bit of it! - and don't have to wear my henna during the day. I get up on Sat. morning and proceed with my regular moisturizing regimen, moisture shampoo, moisture DC, moisture leave-ins, air dry, protective style.

I do this once per month, every single month....for the past 4 years.:yep:

JetBlackCurly

Hi! :newbie: here! I'm actually sitting here with henna on my hair as I type. This is my second one. The first I think I did on dry hair and wasn't crazy about how it turned out... not bad but I didn't really see what all the hype was about. I'm giving it another shot and this time I applied it to lightly shampooed hair. We'll see how it turns out I guess!

greenandchic

Hi! :newbie: here! I'm actually sitting here with henna on my hair as I type. This is my second one. The first I think I did on dry hair and wasn't crazy about how it turned out... not bad but I didn't really see what all the hype was about. I'm giving it another shot and this time I applied it to lightly shampooed hair. We'll see how it turns out I guess!

It sometimes take several applications before you notice a difference. It does depending the type of results you're looking for though...

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I voted dry, nothin else. Nada. I do a sulfate/clarifying shampoo, then let it air dry. Yes, it's dry and crunchy for an hour or so until I can apply the henna, but that doesn't matter once it's on. While still damp, I gently comb through it with a first my fingers, then a wide tooth and finally a finer tooth comb if necessary to remove tangles for application. That's my prep.

I'm a purist. I believe putting stuff like oil and conditioner on the hair before a treatment can dampen the effects. I want it to go straight through the shaft without having to work extra hard to do it. In any case, henna is water soluble, which means it won't penetrate well through an oiled strand of hair. Oil and water don't mix. Also, some conditioners leave a coating on the hair, whether its a silicon or not (some type of oil or shea or whatever). How is the henna supposed to get maximum penetration through that? I'm sure it works for some, but I can't be bothered.

Plus I spend a lot of time (6hrs with it on) and money (2x a month). I want to get maximum results, which for me, is more about the strengthening than color.

I do an hour long moisture DC and then seal after it's rinsed.

Last edited:

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I voted on oiled dry hair. The night before I henna, I do a light coating of oil, then apply henna.

I've done henna on freshly washed hair, but have better results when done on dry hair.

Next time I'll try clarifying, let it dry a bit, then henna, haven't done it this way.

DirectorChic

Big hello to everyone...

I apply henna to hair drenched and detangled with VO5 conditioner. Helps to spread the henna and helps to wash out. (Kill two birds with one stone.) It also helps with moisture levels(three birds I guess.) I don't pre-wash, just drench it with a moisturizing conditioner with slip....then apply.

DirectorChic

ETA: I have no problem with color release or strength by applying conditioner before the henna. My hair actually acts better and maintains better moisture levels. My hair is Mid-back.

Last edited:

hannan

I've tried it on dry hair before and I didn't like it. I slap it on in the shower after I've shampooed because it's easier to clean up in the shower. :lol: I squeeze out most of the water before I apply though so it's not so drippy.