Do you bother to correct people about hair terms?

naturalmanenyc

My uncle was in town visiting today and called DH's dreadlocks, Braids? I kept telling him that they are not braids, they are locks (DH was not here). I reminded him that he had those same locks at our wedding (uncle was there) but my uncle insisted that DH's has "Braids". He went on to say that DH's locks are not "real dreadlocks" since they are too neat:rolleyes: and he calls them "braids".

His brother, another uncle, has locks but it just looks like he stopped combing his har a few years ago and let it grow like that. And no, he's not Rasta.:perplexed

After a few minutes, I just gave up and told him that he can call them whatever he likes, but if he ever wants them, he should tell the stylist that he wants dreadlocks and not braids.:grin:

Side note: what is it about some men & wigs? My aunt had on a synthetic lace front wig today (she has BSL 3c hair but wears SL wigs) and my uncle kept talking about not liking her wigs. Her mom was here too and wearing a NL wig. DH does not like wigs either but knows I'm transitioning so he deals with it and even helped me pick out a wig. It so happened that I had on a curly half wig today when my uncle & his family arrived. I ended up showing his wife my collection of hair. We played with hair for like 30 minutes. My uncle was not happy since she is probably on-line right now ordering my same half wig.:lachen:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Girl, is he just old? :lol: Sometimes, older people just have something in their minds and have a hard time changing it. To him, braids, dreads, twists, etc. are probably all the same.

luxe.li.

Well from my ex, he does not like synthetic hair because its not coming from my scalp. He always tells me to work with what I got and to be confident. And I don't know its something about men when they can put their hands in your hair, I think they like that...they can't really do that with wigs and tracks or a sew in, I think that ruins the fantasy they MIGHT have lol.....but im not certain.

naturalmanenyc

You know what, he is 1 of 8 but not the youngest. He has got to mid 40's, so not old but not 25 and up on twists/locks/micros either.

naturalmanenyc

That could be it. DH liked my weave best when I was using fusion aka strand by strand....but even then he knew to not pull my hair. :lachen:

Well from my ex, he does not like synthetic hair because its not coming from my scalp. He always tells me to work with what I got and to be confident. And I don't know its something about men when they can put their hands in your hair, I think they like that...they can't really do that with wigs and tracks or a sew in, I think that ruins the fantasy they MIGHT have lol.....but im not certain.

ShaniKeys

And I don't know its something about men when they can put their hands in your hair, I think they like that...they can't really do that with wigs and tracks or a sew in

Actor Columbus Short had this to say about it in the newest issue of SBH: I really don't like weaves. You can't run your fingers through the hair because of those tracks. And my hands are no train.

soulie

I don't bother to correct folk about hair terms because I have found that most of them are happier being wrong. :nono:

FourZGirl

I do have to say it bothers me a little when lhcf 'ers use the term perm when they mean relaxer I think twice before I take that persons advice, and no I didn't rhyme that on purpose. :grin: