Do you dye your hair black foe shine

• Yes

Votes: 48 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 25.0%

• Total voters

Teja

Hi,

Was wondering how many or if any of you dye your hair to make it shiny and look more even toned?
Can you also relax and dye the same day or would that lead to breakage?

I just rememberd that I had read about the cellophane treatment, I have never heard about this before today can anyone fill me in!
Is this used instead of a rinse or along with one??

Last edited:

locabouthair

Lots of people do this. I wouldnt ever dye my hair because I wear a relaxer but I was thinking about it. Black maked the hair appear to have more shine.

I really dont think you should relax and dye your hair the same day though. That would be cause MAJOR damage, I believe.

CokoQt

I use Via Semi perm color in Jet Black the same day as my relaxer. The color gradually fades away over time.

I would not use a permanent color the same day of a relaxer. When I did use permanent color, I would wait a few weeks after my relaxer. My hair was much drier with permanent color so I am laying off that for a while until I reach my hair goal.

flowinlocks

I voted yes, and yes relaxing & dyeing the same day will lead to breakage:yep: not to mention your scalp would probably be on fire. which could lead to scabs , so yeah that's a no no:nono:, but relaxing & doing a color RINSE is ok in the same day.

camilla

I DO NOT SUGGEST THAT YOU RELAX AND COLOR THE SAME DAY!!!....UNLESS IT IS A RINSE(CELLOPHANE) I DO THIS EVERY TIME I RELAX EITHER BLACK OR IN THE SPRING BRONZE OR GOLD MY HAIR IS MEDIUM BROWN AND THIS GIVES HIGHLIGHTS AND A NICE SHINE. IT GRADUALLY RINSES OUT AND THEY COAT THE HAIR AND GIVES A LITTLE PROTECTIVE BARRIER I USE SEBASTIANS OR JAZZING

Teja

I DO NOT SUGGEST THAT YOU RELAX AND COLOR THE SAME DAY!!!....UNLESS IT IS A RINSE(CELLOPHANE) I DO THIS EVERY TIME I RELAX EITHER BLACK OR IN THE SPRING BRONZE OR GOLD MY HAIR IS MEDIUM BROWN AND THIS GIVES HIGHLIGHTS AND A NICE SHINE. IT GRADUALLY RINSES OUT AND THEY COAT THE HAIR AND GIVES A LITTLE PROTECTIVE BARRIER I USE SEBASTIANS OR JAZZING

So cellophane is basically just a type of rinse?
I would be able to cellophane the same day of my relaxer then, how long does it last di they have it in dark brown black?

GabbanaGirl

I am with the others, I would not advise anyone doing a relaxer and color the same day. Cellophane (rinse) is another story though, you can definitely do those. They have just about any color, I believe Jazzing makes a cellophane (it can be found in Sally's), and it is typically no more than 5 dollars for one bottle. I get them about every 6-8 weeks (Blackest Black) and leave it in overnight to get the maximum color! My hair always comes out shiny and black afterwards. My cellophanes typically last 6-8 weeks, however this was before I started washing my hair more often.

Esq.2B

I am with the others, I would not advise anyone doing a relaxer and color the same day. Cellophane (rinse) is another story though, you can definitely do those. They have just about any color, I believe Jazzing makes a cellophane (it can be found in Sally's), and it is typically no more than 5 dollars for one bottle. I get them about every 6-8 weeks (Blackest Black) and leave it in overnight to get the maximum color! My hair always comes out shiny and black afterwards. My cellophanes typically last 6-8 weeks, however this was before I started washing my hair more often.

What's the difference between cellophane and a regular rinse?

How frequently/infrequently do you wash your hair in order to prevent the color from fading before the 6-8 weeks?

And have you experienced any damage from leaving it in overnight?

I'm sorry for all of the questions. :grin:

TIA.

Esq.2B

OP, no I don't think you can dye it and relax it the same day.

Another alternative to dye is Bigen hair color. A lot of board members use it with good results. Generally, I think they use it every 6 months or so. I think it's like almost permanent or something but not a dye in a traditional sense. It's definitely more permanent than a rinse though. You can do a search as there are several threads which discuss it. There are a few stories associated with people who had allergic reactions to it, as there is a high concentration is PPD in it. So you might want to do a patch test first, should you consider doing a Bigen.

Also, some say that they use it the same day that they relax, but I'm way too nervous to try anything like that. If anything, I'd wait 2-3 weeks.

Also, some posters have complained about Bigen causing drying so you'd have to up your DC's probably, and make sure you keep your moisture levels in check.

I'm considering doing a Bigen, but for now I'm using an Adore rinse in Black Velvet. It's safe enough to be used on the same day as a relaxer.

Angelicus

Yes, My hair is a sandy brown color and it does not work well with my complexion. My hair looks shinier and healthier when it is dyed black. Here are the dyes that I have used in the past:

Jazzing
Beautiful Collection
Adore
Complements
Bigen (Started getting allergic reactions :( )

Thanks to the recommendation of several ladies on the board, I am now a henna+indigo user.

GabbanaGirl

What's the difference between cellophane and a regular rinse? No problem! I should have clarified that I call a cellophane a rinse, and a rinse a cellophane, I use those two terms interchangeably. However, I do not think there is a difference, if I am wrong someone please correct me :yep:

How frequently/infrequently do you wash your hair in order to prevent the color from fading before the 6-8 weeks? I used to wash my hair about every 2 weeks and the color stayed just fine. I haven't done a cellophane though since I started my regimen, so I haven't gotten a chance to see exactly how long my cellophane would last with more frequent washes. I plan on trying Henna/Indigo to get black instead of the Cellophane to see which one I like better.

And have you experienced any damage from leaving it in overnight?
I have never experienced any damage from leaving it in overnight, there were a few times I didn't wait the 6-8 weeks in between cellophanes, and I had a bit of dryness, but that is about it. I do not believe that cellophanes have the same chemicals as hair dye's do, which is why it is ok to get them after getting a relaxer.

I'm sorry for all of the questions. :grin:

TIA.

No problem, I hope this has helped.

thaidreams

I henna indigo my hair for added shine and strength. Personally, I don't think you should dye and relax on the same day (too much pressure on the hair). I would follow the advise of the others and wait at least a week between the two.

ShaniKeys

I don't dye, but I'm thinking about using the black shine shampoo by Sunsilk or the one by Dabur Vatika. I love jet black hair.

Teja

Sorry if I am sounding like a fool right now;) but do you just go into a store and ask for a cellophane or is there a brand that you have to ask for if yes wich one?

Solitude

I use a black rinse for the shine/ overall look of "healthiness." Clairol Beautiful Collection in Jet Black

However, rinses can be drying in my hair and I didn't use one for about 6 months after I started my healthy hair journey.

ETA: You can rinse and relax the same day - in fact, they say it takes better. I've never used Cellophanes, but I want to. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering, etc.

I follow my regular wash routine of 1x per week & don't worry about the fading.

Last edited:
Teja,
I'll probably get stoned for saying this, but here goes. You can use permanent dye in your hair and have a perm. Just to be clear, you can't do it on the same day. I'm currently using Loreal Perfect Match in soft black without any problems. I wait 4 weeks after my perm to apply the permanent color. The key to keep your healthy after a permanent dye job is condition, condidtion, condition. And keep your ends trimmed. I've dyed my entire head and I've streaked it. I've never had any problems. I hope that helps.

MizzDebbi,
I've sent you a pm.

I use a black rinse for the shine/ overall look of "healthiness." Clairol Beautiful Collection in Jet Black

However, rinses can be drying in my hair and I didn't use one for about 6 months after I started my healthy hair journey.

ETA: You can rinse and relax the same day - in fact, they say it takes better. I've never used Cellophanes, but I want to. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering, etc.

I follow my regular wash routine of 1x per week & don't worry about the fading.

mightycute912

For me, I personally like my hair in a Blue Black color. I have been thinking about using the Henna products, since I can obtain similar results with a safer product. Anyway, I don't have recent pics of my hair, I am going to get it done tomorrow, but it looks sexier IMO. What I did when I decided to go black, was wait until 2 weeks after my relaxer to add color. Stylists that I have gone to recommended to wait the 2 weeks to color. I was getting a permanent to semi-permanent color, so all the chemical would have been detrimental to my hair.

shininnebear

I have been doing this for years. I use Natural Instincts from the drugstore, it is semi permanent I think, it says on the box that it rinses out in 8-10 weeks, but mine has never really faded. Generally, you only ever need to use a "rinse" if you want your hair black because the stain is so strong on most rinses. Basically what I'm saying is, even if you use a rinse, which is safe after a relaxer, your hair will be hard to lift to any other color because the black rinse stays pretty much forever. At least this has been my experience. But it does give great shine, see my siggy :yep:. HTH!

GabbanaGirl

Sorry if I am sounding like a fool right now;) but do you just go into a store and ask for a cellophane or is there a brand that you have to ask for if yes wich one?

Yup, you can just ask for the cellophanes/rinses, they will all be in the same section. I believe most of them are listed as SEMI-PERMANENT hair color. Beautiful Brown Collection, Jazzing, Adore, Sebastian are just a few.

LongHairNWaiting

Teja, I beg to differ with some of the comments made here. (no offense to anyone..)First let me say there is a difference between dye with peroxide, and water color dye. Secondly, to answer your question, yes I perm and dye my hair the same day. I have darn near 100% grey at my age. (I've inherited it from my father. I've had grey since I was 16 y.o.)

Now 1 thing I have learned along the way is that you can not perm and use dye containing peroxide the same day (though in the past I have done that too...) The dye I currently use is Bigen Hair Color. This is a water color dye, and there are many others out there. Now the thing about Bigen is that no matter what color you choose, your hair pretty much comes out black....lolol but there are things that you can do to incorporate actual color into your hair.

Now I know some women on this site use Shower Colors, I have not tried them as yet, so you would need to start a Post regarding those, or perform a search...

What I am saying is there are "options" out there and you would need to do your research regarding those options...

I hope this input has helped.

Teja

Well I guess it's safe to say that I can get a cellophane and a rinse the same day!!!
I am so looking fwd to it, will post pics!

LivingDoll

The ladies have given you great advice. I dye my hair for the overall healthier appearance in general but shine is a part of that.

gissellr78

Hi,

Was wondering how many or if any of you dye your hair to make it shiny and look more even toned?
Can you also relax and dye the same day or would that lead to breakage?

I just rememberd that I had read about the cellophane treatment, I have never heard about this before today can anyone fill me in!
Is this used instead of a rinse or along with one??

Yes and No....I use dark rinses like cellophanes it definately gives your hair shine and a healthier look that light colors