Do you dye your hair black for shine?

Do you dye your hair black foe shine

• Yes

Votes: 48 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 25.0%

• Total voters

LushLox

Has anyone done a black hair rinse and realised that the colour doesn't look quite right? I see so many people with jet black hair and it's very obvious that it's a rinse. This is the only thing that's stopped me from trying it because knowing my luck I'd end up looking like a hot mess!

mpsharrow

This is my very first post since joining earlier this week so bear with me please. But I was just wondering whether you notice the color gettinng on to the collar of your shirts from using a rinse. It has been years since I've had one but this is what I remember.

Taina

Hi,

Was wondering how many or if any of you dye your hair to make it shiny and look more even toned?
Can you also relax and dye the same day or would that lead to breakage?

I just rememberd that I had read about the cellophane treatment, I have never heard about this before today can anyone fill me in!
Is this used instead of a rinse or along with one??
I used to, black hair looks more shiny and healthy. There was an ocation that my ends was pretty awful and i did'nt wanted to get a trim. My stylist sugested to dye my hair black to make it look healthier, and it did. SO i spend like the past 3 years just geting black color in my hair, and i did looked more shiny and healthy.

I used to have the relaxer and a cellophane in the same day, but once i applied a bigen, and it was very itchy.

Celestial

Yup, there's nothing more beautiful on black women than dark shiny hair. I didn't dye my hair in a while but I'm thinking about doing it again. I think black dye makes the hair looks thicker, shinier, healthier, and of course darker and brings out the features better.

Celestial

Has anyone done a black hair rinse and realised that the colour doesn't look quite right? I see so many people with jet black hair and it's very obvious that it's a rinse. This is the only thing that's stopped me from trying it because knowing my luck I'd end up looking like a hot mess!

I don't like black rinses. They don't look natural. I remember when I put a dark n lovely blue black rinse in my hair and everyone was telling how dark my hair was and asking me was that my natural color. When I used Feria dye no one asked me that but they did asked did I have Indian in me :drunk:.

LushLox

I don't like black rinses. They don't look natural. I remember when I put a dark n lovely blue black rinse in my hair and everyone was telling how dark my hair was and asking me was that my natural color. When I used Feria dye no one asked me that but they did asked did I have Indian in me :drunk:.

So was the Feria dye just a normal soft black?

ETA: Sorry I just realised what you said, you use permanent/semi permanent as opposed to rinses.

Last edited:

UGQueen

i have never died my hair black until recently, like couple weeks, cause my fav wig only came in a #1 so i jus rinse the front jet black, but i must say i like it. Looks very nice but i still love my natural low and highlights

Last edited:

DarkAngell

I've used a black semi perm by clairol natural instincts in midnight black for years and whenever I've just done it I get tons of compliments.
Now....I have tried the natural instincts jet black (blue black), which i don't even think they make anymore, & that's when I got negative reactions and it did look alittle fake until about a month later when it settled and some of it washed out.

mpsharrow - I've never had any color leakage onto my clothes however in the intructions it says not to use shampoo for that first wash but i do anyway so this could be why. I never even have any of the color rinsing out in the washes that follow. But like I said, this dye never really washes out of my hair. In the past when I've wanted to go back to my natural color, I had to completley grow the dye out.

I love the way black hair looks on me though. It brings out my eyes which are so dark that most people argue that they are actually black. It gives me more of a glow & does make my hair shinier. For some reason the natural color of my hair tends to bore me and lightening it just doesn't look that hot on me either plus I've done it in the past and my hair turned to straw.

ETA: Im my fotki there are pictures of when I straightened my hair in the texlaxed folder under both albums and I had also just dyed it and you can see the shine it gave me :)

Last edited:

SweetSpirit86

I've thought about it..my hair's dark brown with some auburn in it...sounds pretty, but the combo can leave me looking like I've either got a. Dry, or b. Dirty hair sometimes. However, black hair doesn't look natural on me...almost like it's too dark for my complexion and it doesn't match. I got micros earlier this year in Feb I think..and the girl grabbed some black hair, and I didn't even notice till it was done, and it just was NOT hot.:nono:

Celestial

So was the Feria dye just a normal soft black?

ETA: Sorry I just realised what you said, you use permanent/semi permanent as opposed to rinses.

I use permanent dye by Loreal FERIA. I buy number 20 natural, black leather. It looks so natural and it gives you a 'natural' shine. The shine is similar to the shine you see on Asians and Indian people's hair. I have an African friend whose hair is very kinky and dry and off black in color and this dye even worked for her hair. The conditioner you get with FERIA is super awesome. They need to come out with their own line of conditioner. It sucks that you only can get it if you buy the dye.

jennboo

I am anti-black rinse/dye for LIFE due to a bad experience, lol.

Just make sure the color goes well with your skin tone and know that there IS a difference between black, soft black, and JET black.

Celestial

I am anti-black rinse/dye for LIFE due to a bad experience, lol.

Just make sure the color goes well with your skin tone and know that there IS a difference between black, soft black, and JET black.

Thanks for pointing that out because there is a HUGE difference in shades and types of black. I don't think light skin women should go black but I think medium brown and dark women should.

shunemite

If your semi-permanent doesn't wash out at all, be careful, it might not be an ammonia free dye. Some dyes, especially the ones at Walgreens and the grocery store are "Semi-permanent" but do have ammonia in them. They are peroxide free, but not ammonia free. I know that Jazzing, Adore, Beautiful Collections, and some other brands are ammonia free so that's what I use. It helps my fine hair appear thicker. Obviously, if your hair is fine with a Semi-permanent that has some ammonia in it, if it ain't broke don't fix it :)

DarkAngell

Natural instincts is ammonia free.

I have been contemplating using a permanent because i want to put to some red highlights in with it and I highly doubt it would work that well with a semi perm. I'm just so nervous about using peroxide.