Do You Ever Tithe Outside Of Church?

yodie

Hi ladies.

I'm a tither. Consistently. As of late I haven't wanted to tithe at my church. The pastor and his wife are balling, of course, Bentley, Mercedes, red bottoms, etc... This isn't the reason why I'm feeling this way, although I do notice it. I'm not against prosperity. I want the finer things in life, and I don't believe Jesus was poor. So, I dont begrudge them having it. I do, however, give a side eye to pastors living the high life just because you're a pastor. Let's be honest, these red bottoms, Bentley's, and jets aren't because you confessed the word several times a day. (I tried that. lol!!)

I know the word, so no need to throw countless scriptures at me. I'm just feeling like I want to place my tithe where I CAN SEE that it's really making a difference. Any of you ever felt this way?

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Hi ladies.

I'm a tither. Consistently. As of late I haven't wanted to tithe at my church. The pastor and his wife are balling, of course, Bentley, Mercedes, red bottoms, etc... This isn't the reason why I'm feeling this way, although I do notice it. I'm not against prosperity. I want the finer things in life, and I don't believe Jesus was poor. So, I dont begrudge them having it. I do, however, give a side eye to pastors living the high life just because you're a pastor. Let's be honest, these red bottoms, Bentley's, and jets aren't because you confessed the word several times a day. (I tried that. lol!!)

I know the word, so no need to throw countless scriptures at me. I'm just feeling like I want to place my tithe where I CAN SEE that it's really making a difference. Any of you ever felt this way?

Yodie, I know you as a woman of God who truly loves the Lord, yet even more, God knows you as His daughter and your true heart. Therefore, trust where your heart is leading you. It's not a sin when God shows you something is amiss and leads you otherwise to stay in His path.

I've been there and the Holy Spirit is never misleading...humans are. You 'see' something is amiss... the prayer is, "Lord if this be you, bid me come..."

In Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen

yodie

Thanks @Shimmie for always responding with strength, the word, and truth!! Appreciate it and, I appreciate you and the other beautiful ladies that share positivity in this forum/board. This feeling about my tithe has been with me for awhile now. Sigh!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Thanks @Shimmie for always responding with strength, the word, and truth!! Appreciate it and, I appreciate you and the other beautiful ladies that share positivity in this forum/board. This feeling about my tithe has been with me for awhile now. Sigh!
...that 'still small voice', abides in you and you in Him :love2:

yodie

@BlackRinse, no side jobs. They've been in ministry a long time.
I like my pastors. I'm okay with them not having side jobs. As of late I've had the desire to place my tithe elsewhere.

CoilyFields

@yodie

Does your church have business meetings where the finances of the church are presented? Do your Pastors personally run the finances of the church? Pursue this avenue first before you start to assume things. Pray and ask God to guide you.

I wouldn't have a problem with my Pastors having things if I knew that the church was doing well enough to support them at that level, especially since they've been doing it for a while.

We also can't be quick to assume the lavish things they get are because of the Church's money. My old Pastor had a really nice Lexus Truck and huge house. Many would have pegged him as living lavish on the church's dime. But what they didn't know was that he had previously had a good job that afforded him a generous pension and that his church salary was nowhere near enough to support his huge house and nice cars.

You should sow your seed where you lay your head. If you are being fed spiritually by this ministry then it isn't really fair to send your money somewhere else. Kind of like eating at your sisters house but giving grocery money to your brother lol. I'm not saying you would never bless another ministry but your regular giving really should be done at the place where you worship.

yodie

@CoilyFields, I'm rather new to this ministry, so, in all fairness I can't say if they have a meeting where the finances are discussed. That remains to be seen and yes, always, with everything, I pray and ask God for guidance.

For the record...I DO NOT have a problem with my pastors having things. I really wouldn't want to belong to a ministry rooted in poverty. I also AM NOT assuming that my pastors live a lavish lifestyle just because THEY are pastors (these two specifically) and fleece the sheep, but I DO side eye some pastors that we see flaunt opulent lifestyles. I've been at my church for less than a year, so I can't say it's A, B, C, or D, but rather I'm sharing how I've been feeling as of late.

It's moreso I feel like I know my church has more than enough and I'd prefer to give where needed, but of course, I'll go as God leads AND yes, I know I'm supposed to tithe where I'm being fed. As He leads.

Thanks sis.

CoilyFields

@CoilyFields, I'm rather new to this ministry, so, in all fairness I can't say if they have a meeting where the finances are discussed. That remains to be seen and yes, always, with everything, I pray and ask God for guidance.

For the record...I DO NOT have a problem with my pastors having things. I really wouldn't want to belong to a ministry rooted in poverty. I also AM NOT assuming that my pastors live a lavish lifestyle just because THEY are pastors (these two specifically) and fleece the sheep, but I DO side eye some pastors that we see flaunt opulent lifestyles. I've been at my church for less than a year, so I can't say it's A, B, C, or D, but rather I'm sharing how I've been feeling as of late.

It's moreso I feel like I know my church has more than enough and I'd prefer to give where needed, but of course, I'll go as God leads AND yes, I know I'm supposed to tithe where I'm being fed. As He leads.

Thanks sis.

I totally agree that there are unscrupulous folks fleecing ministries but I'm glad that you do not believe this is going on at your church.

So it just seems like you feel like your church doesn't need your tithes so you want to give it elsewhere. Why not tithe at your church and send your offering elsewhere? But I would still suggest that you inquire as to when the next business meeting is because finances are not always what they seem and the church may have projects and things that they want to do that require the money you don't think they need.

I work with the finances at my church and though we are not lacking, there is so much more we could do in the ministry if everyone tithed.

Praise God that you have a heart to give!