Do you follow a "healthy diet" for "healthy hair growth"?

longhairlover

Hey ladies,

i've been looking online at better eating and how it helps to maintain healthy hair.

I was wondering do any of you on here eat well? and if so have you noticed that your hair is in excellent condition because of it?

I know you may have discussed this before on here, but i'm just curious. I don't have the best diet and i wish i would eat better but the junk food is always calling, i guess this is why i break out on my face and have a pot belly:wallbash: lol!

http://www.hairstyle.com/hair-articles/diet-and-healthy-hair.htm

just a site i was looking at for healthy eating for healthy hair. i want to eat better, there are so many benefits to a good diet.

HAIR CARE · DIET & HEALTHY HAIR

Eat your way to beautiful, healthy hair. Just like your body, your hair also needs a balanced diet to stay healthy.
Diet solution for dry and brittle hair:

If your hair is dry and breaks easily, it is probably a lack of essential fatty acids. By including plenty of good sources of essential fatty acids in your diet you can give your hair back its strength and lustre.
You can find these essential fatty acids in oily fish such as tuna, sardines, trout, salmon, herrings and mackeral. Also in seeds, nuts, olives and avocados. You should try to eat four servings of oily fish a week.

Sprinkling flaxseed oil and pumpkin seeds over your morning cereal is another great way to get these much needed essential fatty acids in your diet.
To keep your hair well hydrated, be sure to drink six to eight 8-ounce glasses of water ever day!
Another nutrient important for hair strength and growth is trace mineral silica. Silica is vital to the strength of hair, and can stop hair breakage, unfortunately many of the foods we eat in the western world lack this mineral. Through food processing and chemical soil treatments, trace minerals are rare in our diets.
When possible, always choose organic produce. Foods that a rich in silica are rice, oats, lettuce, parsnips, asparagus, onion, strawberry, cabbage, cucumber, leek, sunflower seeds, celery, rhubarb, cauliflower and green, leafy vegetables.

Diet solution for greasy and lanky hair:

A lack of vitamin B in ones diet can lead to oily, greasy hair. To fight off greasy hair, be sure to eat lots of whole grains, nuts, seeds, dairy products, eggs, wheatgrem, legumes and green, leafy vegetables. These are all great sources of B-complex vitamins.
Also steer clear of oily foods where possible.

Diet solution for hair starting to turn grey:

Although the link between premature greying and diet hasn't been established, evidence does suggest the amino acid tyrosine - which acts as a precursor to color producing pigments in the hair and skin - can help!

Diet solution for hair that is starting to thin and fall out:

Thinning hair or hair loss may be a sign of iron deficiency. Be sure to eat plenty of iron rich foods, such as red meat, eggs, legumes, wholegrain cereals, dried fruits and green, leafy vegetables.
Since hair is composed mostly of protein, your hair will most likely respond well to the addition of high protein foods such as meats, eggs, cheese, seeds and nuts. These protein-rich foods can help reinforce the hair follicles and prevents the hair from falling out.
There is some evidence suggesting soya protein helps stimulate growth, so switch to soy milk and include some tofu, miso and soy beans in your diet.
Vitamin E is found in green, leafy vegetables, nuts and grains and can also help hair loss. Hair loss can also be a sign of thyroid dysfunction. To stimulate the thyroid gland, eat foods rich in iodine such as seafood and kelp.
Also including iron and B vitamins in your diet will help. Stick to a diet rich in antioxidants - fruit, vegetables and tea - to help slow the ageing process in general.

Foods, Vitamins and supplements to help hair growth

Hair is mostly protein, so nutritionists advise those wanting healthy hair to eat well balanced diets that include healthy proteins, along with foods high in vitamin B, C, E, A and K.
Your hair will most likely respond well to the addition of high protein foods such as meats, eggs, cheese, seeds and nuts. Fish has good protein as well as essential fatty acids and natural oils.
Vitamin B - Green vegetables, beans, sunflower seeds, nuts and peas.
Vitamin C - Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, limes, melons and berries.
Vitamin E - Avocados, rice bran, nuts, dark green vegetables, legumes and whole grains.
Vitamin A - Carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, broccoli, cantaloupe and apricots.
Vitamin K - Seafood, dairy, figs, asparagus, broccoli, lettuce, brussel sprouts, cabbage, dark green leafy vegetables, oatmeal, soybeans, wheat, yoghurt, egg yolks and liver.

MA2010

I try my best to eat healthy but I DO SPLURGE WHEN I WANT! I stray away from fatty meats and baked goods. Sugary cereals and juices are also not on my shopping lists. My real weakness is my sweet tooth. I love candy and today is Halloween.......:look:.

I just don't diet alone either; I also exercise. With a good diet and regular exercise I have seen my hair change for the better.

Thanks for the great tips!!!!:yep:

MA2010

Oh yes, I also drink water like its going out of business!!! This has also turned my dry brittle hair around!!!!

Solitude

When I was back home, I ate horribly.

Now...lots of water & fried foods only once per week & few to no soft drinks.3 square meals & vitamins. Besides that, I eat what I want to.

Oh...and happy hour only for special occasions. It has all helped..... my waistline & my hair.

LovelyMiracle

I've learned to satisfy that sweet tooth to buy ghiradelli's chocolate bars and have a square a day. I love 85% dark chocolate because of the added health benefits of consuming a portion a day. I second the flaxseed oil. When I was taking that regular my hair and skin thrived. I have to remember to add that back to my daily rotation of supplements.

AVE One

I have found that a healthy diet is the best growth aid! I started setting goals to drink 8 glasses of water, 5 fruits & veggies a day, a daily tblspoon of flaxseed/fish oil, a daily vitamin, a protein with each meal including more fish. Less processed sugars and fast foods. Also at least 15 min daily exercise. I have seen great results for my hair and entire body!

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Well, I don't drink pop, juice or liquor. I also hardly ever eat out. I could do a lot better with fruits and veggies, but at least I'm not eating fast food all the time, right? :ohwell:

franknbeans82

hmm, it seems like i have most of that covered, except for the water-intake and excess soda, which i'm working on. i try to eat healthy 5 days out of the week, and then i give myself 2 cheat days. on my healthy days, i usually have a fiber cereal for breakfast w/ soy milk. i try to eat a piece of fruit or 2 a day, and i've been trying to remember to bring a baggie of carrots to snack on. i try to eat a couple of sheets of nori seaweed, and i've also recently added a protein bar or 2 a day. lunch and dinner aren't anything special, other than being lowfat. i also take the following vitamins daily: prenatal (not preg), hair/skin/nails, silica, flax oil, msm, and vit C. does it seem like i'm missing anything?

Last edited:

AVE One

hmm, it seems like i have most of that covered, except for the water-intake and excess soda, which i'm working on. i try to eat healthy 5 days out of the week, and then i give myself 2 cheat days. on my healthy days, i usually have a fiber cereal for breakfast w/ soy milk. i try to eat a piece of fruit or 2 a day, and i've been trying to remember to bring a baggie of carrots to snack on. i try to eat a couple of sheets of nori seaweed, and i've also recently added a protein bar or 2 a day. lunch and dinner aren't anything special, other than being lowfat. i also take the following vitamins daily: prenatal (not preg), hair/skin/nails, silica, flax oil, msm, and vit C. does it seem like i'm missing anything?

How do you like the nori seaweed?

franknbeans82

How do you like the nori seaweed?
some brands are better than others. i got one recently that had some sort of flavoring, and it was really good! i got it at an asian supermarket. whole foods also has spicy nori strips that are pretty good, but they're too pricey for the amt you get.

nicey

Great topic by the way. Since I've cut out drinking a lot of sodas and other caffeine, I see that not only my skin has gotten better, but my hair is thriving more.

I cut out a lot of the greasy stuff in my diet. Although, I do have a burger or a couple pieces of fried chicken(chicken is my weakness) here or there, but it's not all the time like I used to. I bake a lot of my stuff and I try to incorporate a lot of fruit and veggies in my diet. It is sooo hard to maintain fruits and veggies in my daily diet plan! I am also taking organic Flaxseed oil capsules everyday. My body is not only benefiting this "healthy diet" but my hair is too.

locabouthair

Yes I do. I just started a couple of weeks ago so no benenfits yet. I have very dry, brittle hair. It snapes very easily. and I've tried nearly every conditioner and nothings working. I would always eat junk so I figured my poor diet was to blame. Plus the woman at the salon told me my hair is so dry because I dont drink enough water.

I try to eat at least 3 servings of fruits and veggies a day, 48oz of water daily, flaxseed oil daily, and fish 2x per week. I am slacking on the protein though. Hopefully I'll see a difference in about 2 months. I know it wont happen overnight.

BeautifulFlower

Healthy eating habits are essential. Not just for hair but for life. For me its not about what I see immediately but what I wont see 10, 20, and 30 years for now. :nono: Healthy and faster hair growth is just a perk. :grin:

Maybe you can start by deciding what you will not eat, instead of focusing on what you will eat. For example, I dont diet ever. I do, however, not eat meat, cow's milk, eggs, and other stuff. Everything else not on my list of DO NOT TOUCH is free game. :grin:

Its also important to have a good supplement to support your body on a day to day basis. Because the farmslands are depleted of nutirents from pecticides and erosions, our food isnt as potent as it used to be. I take BodyBalance to supplement that lack. There are plenty of other great things out that take anyone can use.

Angelicus

I used to eat well solely for hair purposes (i.e., eggs, avocados, almonds) but I'm finally doing it for overall health!

PinkSkates

Absolutely...I live by my mantra:

You keep your body healthy, then your hair can't help but follow along!

longhairlover

Oh yes, I also drink water like its going out of business!!! This has also turned my dry brittle hair around!!!!

your skin is beautiful, I need to drink way more water and stop mixing it with ice tea powders and cool aid. It just gets boring drinking it after a while.

longhairlover

I have stopped deep frying so much, I have started baking my chicken now. I don't eat too much since i'm not working right now, because I know when your at home a lot the fridge sometimes becomes your friend. My skin is not at it's best I guess all the junk food I eat is coming out of my pores, my skin sucks right now.

Sarahh.

Hmm i probably don't eat that well either.
I'm thinking I should try to eat healthily for a month or two and see if it actually improves my hair growth/health.
And I should get back into taking a multivitamin and drinking lots of water.

ladytee2

I pretty much eat a balanced diet but snacking is my down fall. I am going to try to start cutting out my junk food snacks and stop skipping my work outs. I want to do better for overall health and my hair.

A_Christian

I'm trying to eat according to the food guide pyramid and incorporate a alot of organic foods into my diet not only for hair growth and health but for health in general. I have noticed that when I eat healthfully for long periods of time my hair seems to grow faster but that could also be due to exercise.

ShaniKeys

My first year as a natural I really tried to improve my diet, and I noticed it too in my hair. But now I've been slacking. Thanks for this thread, I'm gonna try to pay more attention to it.

I follow a healthy diet for overall health..the fact that it's good for my hair is an added bonus. I eat clean 98% of the time..particularly during the week and then on one of the weekend days, I have a day where I eat what I want but don't go crazy. Here's what I eat most of the time:

1. Breakfast: 1 scoop of protein whey powder (banana or chocolate) mixed with cold water and ice or almond milk..sometimes I mix them with fruit in the blender, making a smoothie..if I have time. BTW, the whey protein powder is packed with all kinds of nutrients and I noticed a huge difference in my hair..it grows faster. Oh and it's suprisingly good too. I've heard how most protein powders taste dreadful and/or chalky but not the one I take..
2. Lunch: Grilled Chicken Breast or Fish (salmon or tilapia) with a salad or steamed green beans.
3. Snack: Fresh fruit or raw, unsalted almonds
4. Dinner: Some kind of poultry or fish with steamed brown rice or baked sweet potato and more green vegetables.

I try to drink a gallon of water a day too. I stay away from all soft drinks and only have sweets once a week.

I have not always had the proper diet and I just started getting serious about eating right about 60 days ago, but for one thing, my hair is thanking me for it.

blasianbeauty

I've noticed a huge difference in my texture since I've been drinking a gallon of water daily. My ng is now more soft and loose than ever before.

winnettag

I don't do this, but I plan on living a much healthier lifestyle in the new year.
I always wonder how long and healthy my hair would've been by now if I ate better.

NappturalWomyn

I may just follow this kind of diet, modified for me being vegetarian, and see what happens. I'll make it my growth aid. It can't help but benefit me all the way around.

Forever in Bloom

I may just follow this kind of diet, modified for me being vegetarian, and see what happens. I'll make it my growth aid. It can't help but benefit me all the way around.

I will begin to as well. I am going vegan for the new year. I tried it earlier this year and failed. I think I'm ready now, seeing as I have gone back to vegetarianism and have gone w/o meat for almost a year. My hair has definitely grown faster! :yep:

I plan on eating more organic fruits and vegetables, legumes, and drinking more water and trying hemp protein powder since I started my weight-lifting regime again.

prospurr4

I get regular exercise and follow a healthy diet (which includes drinking plenty of water) so that I can be healthy, but healthy hair is definately a "side effect" of it.

Last edited: