Do You Know Anyone That Had Long And Healthy Relaxed Hair Pre-2000s?

ag00

Curious ladies, did you personally know or know of anyone that had long and healthy relaxed hair prior to the 2000s and LHCF, YouTube, or any online community? I'm talking 90s, 80s, 70s, etc. And if so, what was their secret?

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Yep. Me. I had thick WL relaxed hair between 1998-2001. And it wasnt becsuse of me, I didnt have a clue :lol: It was all thanks to a stylist beleve it or not. I had found the best stylist I haver ever encountered. Ever. Im sure shes retired now but she was everything an LHCF member would want, long before I knew LHCF existed.

She DCed my hair every wash, used moisturzing shampoos, rollerset only, and dusted only as needed. With relaxer she was very quick and never overlapped, she even did the coating of the previously relaxed ends. She was the most patient detangler.

She was awesome.

She gave me moisturizing products to take home. Only wore my hair "out" the first day I got it done, after that it was in a bun or claw clip. And I went to her for a wash and set every week, faithfully.

ETA But all Ive said is now the LHCF standard practice. I think the keys are patience and consistency. 2 tbings im only just coming full circle with.

Last edited:

theRaven

There was a Black girl I knew in middle school (early 2000s) that luscious thick BSL hair. I was always amazed at how luscious and thick it was relaxed. I asked her how did she get it so long and healthy, but sadly she didn't know either. I think her mother cared for her hair so well. Oh and she was regular degular Black in case any one wants to know :lol:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
A very close friend of the family. She always had long hair. Always.

She went to one salon and one person. I was young then (early teens), so I didn't understand really how she had long hair, just that she always had long hair; was never "wearing pieces" or any fake hair. I used to see her wearing her hair out on the weekends and thinking of what @halee_J mentioned, she got her hair done every Saturday faithfully. On the weekdays, I'd see her with a ponytail or makeshift bun (unlike donut-style). She still has long hair. I remember hearing her mention once that she didn't wear her hair out on the weekdays.

Other than that, most women I knew with long hair were heat straightened naturals with type 3 hair because their chief complaints were that relaxers didn't hold.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
My mother always had long hair. At its longest was WL. Since she’s a stylist, she never depended on anyone else to do her hair. She doesn’t really like wearing her hair out so it stays in a bun.

She’s now in her mid 60’s and still relaxed. She told me she ain’t going to give up her relaxer for anybody :laugh:. She keeps it simple by just washing, blow drying, and moisturizing. She barely deep conditions her hair. She can cut her hair today and it’ll grow back with a vengeance.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Yep! Plenty..
All they did was wash, deep condition, blow roots, and wrap. Don't relax too often. Heck I was one of them growing up.
Plus my cousins all had thick and pretty relaxed hair, they are natural now.
That's awesome, where in the world did you live?

frizzy

Yes, one of my SILs. She had BSL relaxed and color treated (black) hair. She's SL now but I don't know if she cut it that length or if it broke off.

She, like DH, have the fattest, round hair strands I've ever seen.

I knew someone, one of my mother's friends. She was a hairdresser, so she cared for her own hair. I don't know what she used in her hair other than mayonnaise for conditioner/protein. Her hair was beautiful and waist length.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I had MBL hair with the curl for a little while until I got lazy and damaged my hair with braids. I usually stayed around BSL overall in those years.

I know of one who had MBL relaxed hair in high school. She had very thick strands and rarely used heat tools. Back then, just wearing long hair without styling elicited oos & ahs from folks.

Tefnut

My cousin's hair was MBL and it got that way because her mother followed my mother's advice: protective styling. Once she got a growth spurt from the protective styling, she started going to a stylist who continued to grow it out from when she was a younger. The rest of us had "black girl long" hair or APL, lol. My mom relaxed my hair at home (no, she's not a stylist and worked in a totally different profession) and always had me resembling the cover art of a PCJ box. During the summer months, she'd cornrow my hair, which helped it to grow longer. She also used decent styling tools and didn't over grease our scalps. Her sister's hair was between APL and MBL relaxed (I think it was relaxed) hair.

I also had other friends with "long" relaxed hair (BSL). Looking back, it seems that the relaxed girls I knew growing up had a full head of hair that fell between shoulder length and APL and occasionally BSL, which is pretty decent. I had one friend who had short hair (ear length) Jheri curl. Her mother sent her to a stylist when she was about 12 who grew out her curl and grew her hair to BSL. She used to wrap her all of the time, which cuts down on heat. The hair growth boosted her self-esteem.

I realized my hair could've been MBL or WL if I stayed away from heat. Other than that, I never had issues with relaxers.

@halee_J, I was about to say the bolded. For some of the girls I know, like my cousin and a family friend, the stylist made the difference and took them to very long lengths. Protective styling is another thing my mother did when we were younger. That and as you said patience and consistency.

Yep. Me. I had thick WL relaxed hair between 1998-2001. And it wasnt becsuse of me, I didnt have a clue :lol: It was all thanks to a stylist beleve it or not. I had found the best stylist I haver ever encountered. Ever. Im sure shes retired now but she was everything an LHCF member would want, long before I knew LHCF existed.

She DCed my hair every wash, used moisturzing shampoos, rollerset only, and dusted only as needed. With relaxer she was very quick and never overlapped, she even did the coating of the previously relaxed ends. She was the most patient detangler.

She was awesome.

She gave me moisturizing products to take home. Only wore my hair "out" the first day I got it done, after that it was in a bun or claw clip. And I went to her for a wash and set every week, faithfully.

ETA But all Ive said is now the LHCF standard practice. I think the keys are patience and consistency. 2 tbings im only just coming full circle with.

Last edited:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
My cousin's hair was MBL and it got that way because her mother followed my mother's advice: protective styling. Once she got a growth spurt from the protective styling, she started going to a stylist who continued to grow it out from when she was a younger. The rest of us had "black girl long" hair or APL, lol. My mom relaxed my hair at home (no, she's not a stylist and worked in a totally different profession) and always had me resembling the cover art of a PCJ box. During the summer months, she'd cornrow my hair, which helped it to grow longer. She also used decent styling tools and didn't over grease our scalps. Her sister's hair was between APL and MBL relaxed (I think it was relaxed) hair.

I also had other friends with "long" relaxed hair (BSL). Looking back, it seems that the relaxed girls I knew growing up had a full head of hair that fell between shoulder length and APL and occasionally BSL, which is pretty decent. I had one friend who had short hair (ear length) Jheri curl. Her mother sent her to a stylist when she was about 12 who grew out her curl and grew her hair to BSL. She used to wrap her all of the time, which cuts down on heat. The hair growth boosted her self-esteem.

I realized my hair could've been MBL or WL if I stayed away from heat. Other than that, I never had issues with relaxers.

@halee_J, I was about to say the bolded. For some of the girls I know, like my cousin and a family friend, the stylist made the difference and took them to very long lengths. Protective styling is another thing my mother did when we were younger. That and as you said patience and consistency.

LOL @ "black girl long".

That is why I asked "what is long?" in reference to this OP's question. Because there is long and then there is "black girl long".

Tefnut

Exactly.

Now, I've seen white people described shoulder length hair as medium length and anything passed that (around APL to BSL) as long and MBL or WL or longer as very long hair.

Look at the girl on this PCJ box. Her hair was considered long for a black girl but it's only APL.

Same with this girl, whose hair is a little bit shorter.

I think there a belief that black women couldn't have long hair that anything shoulder length or longer was like ... wow!!

And don't let it come to your waist!

LOL @ "black girl long".

That is why I asked "what is long?" in reference to this OP's question. Because there is long and then there is "black girl long".

Last edited:

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I had MBL-BSL length relaxed hair (90's-2002) and I knew a couple of other girls with long relaxed or pressed hair as well. I don't know for the other girls but for me i washed every one to two weeks..used cream of nature shampoo & cholesterol to deep condition. I didn't use a leave in but i I used to add a little grease (old school) blow dry then flat iron. After that, it pretty much was in a ponytail (brush/gentle comb daily...a little shea butter before combing every 3rd day) till next wash. After I discovered shea butter I started using that and my hair actually got a little longer. So in addition to deep conditioning well and sealing about every, I only used heat right after washing and I was pretty low maintenance. I relaxed every 3-4 months...roots only. I learned to relax & care for my hair after a bad experience.

Then I moved to my current state and my hair started falling out.:sad:

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

Mine was always BSL/MBL. I relaxed every 8-12 weeks. Also I never used box perms. All my friends who had damaged hair used drug store relaxed and let their sister or their friends do their hair.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I think this is an empowering time for us because knowledge about what products work and WHY they work is becoming common place. Manufacturers are making products more kink and curl friendly. More natural product lines made specifically for textured hair.

We are also in an instant gratification age. We want results now. It still takes time to grow your hair. No matter how many growth aids and supplements you use. Many people (myself included) get disheartened when you dont see a lot of progress.

And as someone with PJ tendencies you want to try allll the new things instead of sticking to one routine. But its like fitness sometimes you have to keep going and be consistent even if dont see change. The effects are cumulative. Health before length.

When I first started going to that stylist my hair had become a chewed up thin apl. Still "black girl long" as tefnut nicely coined it but it was super messed up. She said to me " Halee we gotta cut this and start fresh" She cut it to above shoulder and in 4 years of consistent, weekly gentle shampoo dcs rollersets and protective styling I got to wl. It still took 4 years though.

Patience and consistency. Health before length.

Tefnut

It's truly a wonder that my hair even made it to APL when I was a kid. I guess my mother thought my 4a/3c hair was so "nappy" that she always used super perms on my head. SUPER! Super on my young head. I honestly thought I had the nappiest hair on the planet. And my hair didn't fall out either. It wasn't until I was 14 that a stylist told me that I should use light or kiddy perms. It was too late though. I decided I didn't want to look like "the man" anymore and began the long journey of growing out my perm.

Mine was always BSL/MBL. I relaxed every 8-12 weeks. Also I never used box perms. All my friends who had damaged hair used drug store relaxed and let their sister or their friends do their hair.

Yes, I used Cream of Nature, Pantene and Nexxus as a kid and Aveda in my teens. I would add aloe vera from plants into my conditioners and do the Queen Helene cholesterol treatment with added egg and mayo. I think my mom relaxed my hair every 6-8 weeks. It really depends on the growth. I could get away with extending my perms because my hair was finer.

I had MBL-BSL length relaxed hair (90's-2002) and I knew a couple of other girls with long relaxed or pressed hair as well. I don't know for the other girls but for me i washed every one to two weeks..used cream of nature shampoo & cholesterol to deep condition. I didn't use a leave in but i I used to add a little grease (old school) blow dry then flat iron. After that, it pretty much was in a ponytail (brush/gentle comb daily...a little shea butter before combing every 3rd day) till next wash. After I discovered shea butter I started using that and my hair actually got a little longer. So in addition to deep conditioning well and sealing about every, I only used heat right after washing and I was pretty low maintenance. I relaxed every 3-4 months...roots only. I learned to relax & care for my hair after a bad experience.

Then I moved to my current state and my hair started falling out.:sad:

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I think this is an empowering time for us because knowledge about what products work and WHY they work is becoming common place. Manufacturers are making products more kink and curl friendly. More natural product lines made specifically for textured hair.

We are also in an instant gratification age. We want results now. It still takes time to grow your hair. No matter how many growth aids and supplements you use. Many people (myself included) get disheartened when you dont see a lot of progress.

And as someone with PJ tendencies you want to try allll the new things instead of sticking to one routine. But its like fitness sometimes you have to keep going and be consistent even if dont see change. The effects are cumulative. Health before length.

When I first started going to that stylist my hair had become a chewed up thin apl. Still "black girl long" as tefnut nicely coined it but it was super messed up. She said to me " Halee we gotta cut this and start fresh" She cut it to above shoulder and in 4 years of consistent, weekly gentle shampoo dcs rollersets and protective styling I got to wl. It still took 4 years though.

Patience and consistency. Health before length.

:yep:

This is my issue. I want the SSK problem solved yesterday, so I've hopped around when it comes to products and my regimen. It is very challenging for me to stick with something for a month to see if it will work over time if the first week it's a bust. Focusing on ingredients is helping me tremendously in this area, though: If someone raves about something, if the ingredients are NOT novel (meaning I've already tried those ingredients a lot), then I'm much slower to purchase. I know it's all about the specific combination, pH, etc. of the product's ingredients, but I'm still grateful that known ingredients cause me to act slowly. :lol:

Anyone here now all messed up when it comes to your conception of "long." What I used to think was long doesn't feel long to me, because shrinkage has rearranged my brain's conception of long!

Honey Bee

All my family, the mixed side and the black side. My ex SIL (black). My besties. Bsl- wl. They mostly ps'd: lots of buns, rollersets, braids with their own hair.

Mine was 'black girl long' :lol: and I permed every 4 wks, used heat everyday, colored (not bleach), went to the Dominicans at least 2x/ mo, etc. I honestly don't know how I had any hair left on my head. :lol: When the ends started struggling (I have very fine strands), I'd chop to ear/ sl and grow it out again. I always had the shortest hair in my crew.

MilkChocolateOne

yes, quite a few people. All different textures too. Most of the people I knew with long hair didn't do much to their hair. The ones with relaxed hair usually worn their hair wrapped. The naturals were usually straight haired naturals and the ones that weren't usually wore braids or a ponytail/puff. The people with complicated styles or the ones that had weekly appointments at the salon usually had shorter hair (Halle Berry cut to shoulder length).