Do you know God's will for your life?

Sasha Fierce

I am not sure what His will is for me and I don't know how to reconcile personal pursuits with his plan for me.

For instance, I was just rejected from one PhD program I applied to. I am waiting to hear from three others but I am honestly not feeling to good about my prospects and I'm thinking this time around may not be for me.

Anyway, I have struggled for years trying to figure out what I should do with my life. I finally decided PhD was a good choice for me and that I could build a good career around that and hoped that God could use me through it all.

But when I applied for these programs there was no sense of awe and feelings of knowing that I was doing the right thing. I just felt that it was time to be active and not be stagnant in a job which would limit me professionally.

So I'm asking myself is PhD just my desire and not God's plan for me? Or does God give us freedom to do things we may like and the choice is ours to make it happen with his grace and guidance? Or are we predestined to do a certain thing?

I am clueless. I know God is with me but He seems to have remained silent on this issue in my life. I really don't know what to do. I pray. I ask. But I am still clueless.

I am grateful for my health and job that I currently have. I know He provides for me. But I just don't know what to do.

MizzBrown

I'd like to know cause i'm at a crossroad and i fear if i take the wrong road that i won't be able to turn back.

Ms.Honey

I am not sure what His will is for me and I don't know how to reconcile personal pursuits with his plan for me.

For instance, I was just rejected from one PhD program I applied to. I am waiting to hear from three others but I am honestly not feeling to good about my prospects and I'm thinking this time around may not be for me.

Anyway, I have struggled for years trying to figure out what I should do with my life. I finally decided PhD was a good choice for me and that I could build a good career around that and hoped that God could use me through it all.

But when I applied for these programs there was no sense of awe and feelings of knowing that I was doing the right thing. I just felt that it was time to be active and not be stagnant in a job which would limit me professionally.

So I'm asking myself is PhD just my desire and not God's plan for me? Or does God give us freedom to do things we may like and the choice is ours to make it happen with his grace and guidance? Or are we predestined to do a certain thing?

I am clueless. I know God is with me but He seems to have remained silent on this issue in my life. I really don't know what to do. I pray. I ask. But I am still clueless.

I am grateful for my health and job that I currently have. I know He provides for me. But I just don't know what to do.

I'm sending you a pm.

MrJohnsonsRib

Give yourself a pat on the back for at least taking the time to think about this sort of stuff. Some people never question their motives. I believe that the Lord can work thru and with anybody, so your will is- to be used by God as a vessel to spread His word. That's probably not the only thing you will ever accomplish spiritually but that's a great start! I've been trying to become better at my walk and I know will forever strive for that so Christians should always be at work...kinda like how folks are always working on a higher college degree of some sort...:grin: HTH!

Sasha Fierce

Give yourself a pat on the back for at least taking the time to think about this sort of stuff. Some people never question their motives. I believe that the Lord can work thru and with anybody, so your will is- to be used by God as a vessel to spread His word. That's probably not the only thing you will ever accomplish spiritually but that's a great start! I've been trying to become better at my walk and I know will forever strive for that so Christians should always be at work...kinda like how folks are always working on a higher college degree of some sort...:grin: HTH!

Thanks MJR! Your thoughts are very helpful. I just pray that whatever I do God will use me as a blessing to others :yep:

PinkPebbles

I'm glad you started this thread. Sorry, that I can't be of much help but I hope others will share their thoughts and experiences.

Ms.Honey - I was hoping that you posted in this thread. I love reading your responses because they are indeed helpful and encouraging...please share with the rest of us!

Based on my experience, if I have a desire within me I pray about it and then pursue it. I always asked the Lord to open doors that I'm supposed to walk through and closed the ones I'm not. Things haven't always been clear, laid out in black & white and picture perfect during the journey. However, it all worked out for my good because I seek the Lord for wisdom and guidance. I now understand that God sometimes won't tell us everything in the beginning of the process because He wants our faith to grow in Him; but He is always there leading and guiding us behind the scenes when we ask.

hopeful

I believe that sometimes God does speak to us but we don't always hear or understand. I once had a friend that I got a really bad feeling about, every time we'd meet or speak, afterwards I would feel an ache in my stomache. I prayed to God asking what I should do and if He'd give me a sign. He said the ache in the stomache was the sign but if I needed a stronger sign it would come eventually, over time. I got away from her quickly and never looked back. I wanted to hear Him say she did this or she did that and quit being her friend, but sometimes signs are more subtle.

LiciaB

I ponder on the same thought quite often. In the past, I would make decisions and keep it moving, deal with the consequences later, no matter what my gut instinct was telling me. I realize now that the instinct I thought I was feeling was the Holy Spirit all along guiding me. If I don't feel peace about something I can't go with it. Most times I don't understand why and get discouraged because I'm so ready to take the next step, but only the Lord knows what's best for us and I have to keep reminding myself of that.
The enemy is cunning and crafty and will having us thinking that busy is the best way to be. Sometimes the Lord just wants us to be still and wait on him, concentrate on him, thank him and praise him for where we are.

I know what you're feeling. I question myself a lot. Lord do you want this for me or is that I want this for myself?? When it's time to make a final decision, consider everything, every little thing. No matter what, the Lord will keep you if you remain in him, no matter what decision you make.

I know I rambled a bit, I just wanted you to know that I think we all get to that point and you are not alone. HTH

Sasha Fierce

Thank you ladies for all of your wonderful input. Michelle Obama spoke to Howard University business students today and addressed how to balance family/career and making decisions for your life. I thank God that I heard these words today as they hit on some of the thoughts I've been having.

There isn’t a day that goes by, particularly after having kids, that I don’t wonder or worry about whether I’m doing the right thing for myself, for my family, for my girls.

And the one thing — the one message that I have is for all of you struggling with this issue, is just remember there is no right answer. It took me a long time to figure that out. There is no one right way to do any of this. And the choices and the decisions will change, given your circumstances.

The person I was when I was in college is very different than the person that I am today....I was different when I was married. I was different when I was married with kids. (Laughter.) I was different when I was married with kids in certain types of jobs. And every step of the way, I wondered whether I was doing the right thing.

The question that I hate most that we ask of young people is, “What are you going to be when you grow up?” And the truth is, I still don’t know, and I’m 45 years old. (Laughter.) All I know is that it’s important for you to be true to yourselves, not to worry too much about what other people are going to think or make of your choices, because everyone will question what you do and tell you you should’ve done it the other way.

http://michelleobamawatch.com/video...iversity-be-true-to-yourself-worklife-balance