Do You LOVE You Hair Texture? Be HONEST!

Do You LOVE Your Hair Texture?!

• I LOVE My Hair Texture!

Votes: 146 43.5%
  • It's Aight...

Votes: 113 33.6%
  • I HATE The Texture Of My Hair! Ugh!

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • I'm Just Happy To Have Hair On My Head!! :-)

Votes: 59 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AuNaturalMaMa

I love my hair, but secretly I was so dissapointed that I didn't have lots of shrinkage and an afro......I <3 a fierce fro.

LaidBak

This is not politically correct I know..but I hate my hair texture (4C). It takes too much work. I hate having to relax. I hate that the slightest bit of NG makes my hair look sloppy and unkempt (unless I put in a ton of extra effort). I hate that it is fine and fragile. I hate that I need heat to 'tame' it. I wish I had not straight hair, but easier hair. I would LOVE to be able to go natural, as like a 3 something. I would love to wash and go every day. But I can't so I accept it and try to make the best of it.

BrookeLynn

I have to say- the products make all the difference. Now that I'm learning what works for me; what makes my hair shrink, what makes it a bit looser and stretched, what keeps it moisturized, what dries it like old bones- the more in love I fall with my tresses. I used to HATE to wash my hair- even when I was relaxed because I dreaded the detangling sessions and trying to get my hair into a ponytail. Now that I realize that shampoos don't all strip and suck the life out of hair, and that they can actually moisturize too, I look forward to wash day and get bored and restless in between. Once I stopped ripping through my hair with a tightly packed bristle brush and learned how to detangle my hair properly- the difference was night and day.

Umm Ebraheem

I LOVE my hair texture, but like anything it waxes and wanes. Some days I love it more and some days I love it less.

Majestye

Since finding this site; I've learned to appreciate it; even transitioned before but now I'm barely telaxed!!!

when you say barely texlaxed, does that mean that you apply relaxer for a hot second just to take the edge off? I've been texlaxing but have found myself stretching or quasi transitioning. I like my texture, it's just the fuzzy head, and combing the back. I am considering texlaxing again with greatly reduced time.

Any suggestions?

Peace in Prose

I will LOVE it when it is longer. I am a 4b, that is not the problem. No matter how many tutorials I watch, nothing comes out right, so I figure when it gets longer I can do the cutsie styling I want. It is currently at 7 in. stretched so by December perhaps.

softblackcotton

I'm 4a/b mix. I love the thickness. Its thick , kinky or bone straight. Everyone comments on the thickness. Braiders hate me. I hate the thinness of my strands. I have tons and tons thin strands that break/split easily. I believe that is my biggest problem with retention. If only I could get my hair to BSL or even APL kinky I would be SO ELATED.

aquajoyice

This is not politically correct I know..but I hate my hair texture (4C). It takes too much work. I hate having to relax. I hate that the slightest bit of NG makes my hair look sloppy and unkempt (unless I put in a ton of extra effort). I hate that it is fine and fragile. I hate that I need heat to 'tame' it. I wish I had not straight hair, but easier hair. I would LOVE to be able to go natural, as like a 3 something. I would love to wash and go every day. But I can't so I accept it and try to make the best of it.

Hi LaidBak! Have you ever been natural? I ask because when I was relaxing I used to think the same thing about my hair. The moment I would see new growth I would race to slap a relaxer on it. Once I learned how to care for my hair it's way easier and nothing like I originally thought.

LaidBak

Hi LaidBak! Have you ever been natural? I ask because when I was relaxing I used to think the same thing about my hair. The moment I would see new growth I would race to slap a relaxer on it. Once I learned how to care for my hair it's way easier and nothing like I originally thought.

I tried to go natural back in 2009, shortly after I joined this forum. i was hyped! But I got about 3/4 of an inch of NG one month (I was on that Ovation), and I was completely overwhelmed. I could barely comb it. It was so thick and stiff that I could do nothing with it. Still, I tried for 8 weeks (I usually relax every 4) and I just couldn't take it any more. FAIL:nono:

Then I tried to texlax and got crazy LOD breakage--FAIL.:nono:

Then I tried again with letting a stylist wash and blowdry/flat iron it every week. That was by far the easiest. But my hairline suffered from all that heat. Not to mention the expense. FAIL:nono:

PureSilver

IN LOVE. The longer it gets the more in love I am. It's much more than I ever thought it would be.

This is exactly how i feel. As my natural hair gets longer and the curls more defined...esp with products, i just stare in the mirror and gloat!

Sometimes when i stare at 3c textures i wish and wish but i'm glad for what i've got and i'm loving it more as the months go by!:yep:

fivetimestwo

While I'm happy I have hair on my head, I hate that I have fine hair. I very rarely wear it straight because it looks so sickly thin. My hair is super fragile and only seems to retain length if it's under a wig. I'm still working on acceptance...

aquajoyice

I tried to go natural back in 2009, shortly after I joined this forum. i was hyped! But I got about 3/4 of an inch of NG one month (I was on that Ovation), and I was completely overwhelmed. I could barely comb it. It was so thick and stiff that I could do nothing with it. Still, I tried for 8 weeks (I usually relax every 4) and I just couldn't take it any more. FAIL:nono:

Then I tried to texlax and got crazy LOD breakage--FAIL.:nono:

Then I tried again with letting a stylist wash and blowdry/flat iron it every week. That was by far the easiest. But my hairline suffered from all that heat. Not to mention the expense. FAIL:nono:

I'm so sorry to hear that LaidBak. But it's good to know that you gave it an honest try. :yep:

prettypithy

This question is right on time for me. 6 months after my mini chop, I can finally say I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 4a/3c curls!! As my hair has grown longer, the shrinkage is not as bad. And I can do wash n go's with perfect little ringlets forming on the end. It is soft and puffy and when I hold my head up high, people stop and pay attention. I'm a real show stopper with this hair, lol. I will never, ever, ever go back to relaxers!

carameldelight87

I love my hair!!...now do I love every style I've tried to do to it...not so much. But as for my natural, straight out of the shower, no product, no comb curls...I fall in love every time I see them. :gorgeous:

I won't say I love it in every stage because anytime my hair is dry, it's NOT the business at all. And by dry, I mean from the inside out. That's not a good look or feel. :nono:

somewhereinbtwn

Sometimes I love my hair ,sometimes I don't. I can't vote love, and its definitely more than just aight. I would have voted like if that was an option. If someone asked me this question IRL I would say LOVE, just to overcompensate for all the nappy hair hate. I know that's wrong, but oh well.

MyCoilsGoBoing

I truly do love my hair texture. I wish I weren't so styling challenged/scared to go to a salon so I can rock something other than puffs, ponytails, and buns.

JazzyOleBabe

I don't hate the texture of my hair as much as I hate it's current length. I am style challenged and only wear twist-outs and occasional puffs. I would like/love my hair better if I could get the length to do some other styles like a bun or ponytail. Braids and twists make me look like I'm going thru some illness/chemo treatment. The look is too scalpy for me plus I am trying to hide all of my new growth which is gray. It's just aight but it better than no hair on my head at all. Tomorrow is another day.

prospurr4

I like my natural 4b hair texture, but I enjoy length and thickness much more, regardless of texture. Whether I'm looking at a head of hair that's in the 3s or 4s, if it's less than APL and/or lacks thickness, it's not something I would want. :nono:

This is why I love texlaxing my hair. It allow me to have some "hang time," while holding on to most of my natural texture and thickness. And as a bonus, detangling and styling is a LOT quicker/easier. :grin:

beautychic

Love is a strong word. Then again hate is a strong word too. I neither love nor hate my hair. I'm okay with it. I love that my hair texture distinguishes me as having African ancestry and differs from other racial groups. The thing that irks me the most is how high maintenance (and expensive) it is to achieve some of the looks I desire. I also am not a fan of the lack of versatility I have (in some respects) with regard to changing my looks. For example having multiple chemical processes at a time is usually out of the question for type 4 hair and I am dying to mess around with different colors. If anyone with type 4 hair and has successfully chartered these territories let me know.

pringe

I do but I just want a little more length. I'm just saying. I want my twists to hang a little bit long.

LivingDol1

I said it's alright. I'm a 4A, I think. Ive been growing out the relaxer since march 2010 so I guess I have at least 6-8 inches of NG, which is kind of crazy to me. I only have a few more inches left of relaxed ends.

I haven't figured out how to properly style my hair with my natural curls. I think it's too short for me to wear down. But I do like seeing the coils and I think my hair looks much thicker than it actually is in curls. What's annoying is that my nape is longer and looser than the middle so it doesn't look right when worn down.

If it was crazy long, like BSL while in it's natural state, I'd probably wear it out. Maybe I will hit that goal in less than 2 years. I'm APL straightened now.

newnyer

I can't say I love it yet---but I am constantly fascinated by it. :)
Too thin, too fragile, too fine....but it's mine & could be worse.

NikkiGirl

Umm, I am trying but not yet. It is really thick and tangles so much. If it wasn't for the tangles, I would probably love it. I am 3b/c.

Geminigirl

Yea I love my good hair days. I wouldn't mind coarser denser hair and weight and length. I want to rock buns and hair sticks so bad.

AwesomelyNappy

i love my hair, i just want more of it. Although i loved it when i first bc'd, i think it gets better as it grows.

sometimes i get in moods where i wish this or that, or we cant agree on things, or its stubborn and isn't being a team player... but we always end up making up. i cant stay mad at it for too long. It isn't a perfect, fairy tale love, but it is still love.