Do you mind BIG churches?

AnnDriena_

laydee I'm so sorry that is so wrong. How can a white pastor do that? The last church I attended St. Stephens baptist church was all black and my cousin told me the pastor said he didn't want anybody bringing that mess to his church. She told me he either wouldn't or didn't like to marry interracial couples in his church. But there were interraccial people there. That stuff just kills me. I didn't like that church it was too much of a social club. Don't get me wrong I think it's great to socialize with sisters and brothers but you have to watch out. I don't care what religion some people profess I just think they are poisinous.

Sweet C

Me, personally, I like all churches that preach, teach, and exemplify the word of God. Whether its 37,000 members or 50. In undergrad, I went to a very large church (over 27,000 members) and I loved that church. I now go to a church with about 1,000 members, and after I leave NC, I will move to PA and attend a church of about 50-100 members. When u attend a larger church, you have a variety of different ministries and classes that are readily available for you to join and assist you in your spiritual growth. If you go and sit in the same section, u will start to learn people from your section and you will definitely know the people in the ministries you participate in. U won't be strolling into the pastor's office, and u will have to be more active in the church to actually get to know your pastor on more of a first name basis. In this type of church, u would have to be more responsible. For example, my old pastor taught in such a way that bible study was a basis for Sunday morning scripture. So if u missed bible study, he would catch u up a bit, but most of the time u would have such a better appreciation of the word on Sunday if u went to bible study. In a smaller church, you get to know everyone and your pastor and his family will definitely know u and will be quick to put you to work. I visited the church I will be joining in PA when I moved, and I went to the pastor's house for dinner and sort of met half of the church there. The next day, I went to church for bible study and the next u know I was dusting the pews (now in the back of my mind I'm thinking what the 3 day guest rule doesn't apply, but I was neverthless happy to serve in God's house). Its very personal, but sometimes a certain group can feel left out, b/c its not a lot of people there. I believe that God will send you to the church he wants you to be at that helps develop and nurture you as a member of the body of Christ whether it be a large church or a small church.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I can go to a mega-church myself;however, I like smaller ones. They give me a more 'homely' feel.

Blossssom

JenniferMD said:
OK, this thread isn't going quite the way I wanted, but oh well.

To answer the question, yes I have shaken my pastor's hand :laugh: And I've talked to him on different occassions too. Now of course he doesn't know everyone's name, but in all fairness, pastors of 400 members don't know all of their members names either.

If I want to get in contact with my pastor I can, it just may take longer to get an appointment than witih smaller churches. However, my church has it set up so you can meet with other officials. I'm actually very close to the Pastor's brother (he's a Reverend at the church) and I can call him up anytime and he'd know my voice immediately. :) *Smaller churches work in the same way...you can make appointments with other officials b/c even a pastor of 500 can be stretched thin with appointments* :)

Haha! What thread DOES go the way intended by the poster? Not many :) Don't feel bad.

I'll admit, I have never belonged to a large congregation. The only churches I ever belonged to anyway were my daddy's (2), and none of them had more than 50 people at church on Sunday.

I could't imagine being in a congregation of thousands. I'm afraid of crowds anyway, but I would be overwelmed in a church even with just a few hundred. But when you start talking 8,000; 10,000 in a congregation at one time... I feel claustrophobic just imagining it.

I look every once in a while at "church" on TV and I'm glad I stayed home! :) It's so many people! What if a fire broke out? Omigod!

Blossssom

Honeyhips said:
No, my only fear would be getting lost in the shuffle.
I've had people ask me why I haven't been in church, but it was never done in a condescending way. Just in a, is everything going okay, and I missed you, way.

A Pastor can share someone's story whether the Church is small or large. Just like he will use an example from the media. No big deal. I hope in you all's cases they didn't use their real names.

My Uncle has a big Church and I like it, but he is my Uncle. I have a relationship with him.

My church is about 1000 members and I love it like that. My Pastor is more like my Father and I couldn't imagine having to start over at a mega church. But I don't want to go anywhere now b/c there is so much wisdom around me combined with my Pastor, his head pastor, his brother, and my Uncle, and the people that are there. I am truly blessed. I cringe when I hear about the religous/legalism type of stuff that goes on elsewhere. People are truly decieved.

Oh and my Pastor makes a point to remember everyone's names.

I don't know about a Pastor getting in front of the congregation and mentioning a particular parishioner's personal "dilemna" or "sin".

Obviously, the Pastor can counsel the member on a one-on-one basis. I think that's more appropriate. To mention the member's name and what their crisis may be is a little "gossipy" and everyone else will be in the person's business.

I think for a Pastor to do that would be disruptive.

Blossssom

honeisos said:
How is the pastor really to know what you really have going on in your heart? ... there is no way he can.... that is the job of God only..

I didn't know that the Pastor has to give an account of the parishioner's soul either!

Blossssom

ladydee36330 said:
Its that last part I believe the Pastors are responsible for. Years ago, I was attending a church where the majority of the members were white. At that time, my boyfriend was white and had come to visit me for a few days. He stayed in a hotel, I stayed with my mom. Well I took him to church with me at the time I was a babe in Christ and I felt that when you profess to be saved, you didnt see color all you saw was love and color made no difference. Well I was young and most of the people in the church were old like in their sixties and seventies. I was about twenty-six at the time. I had no one to associate with my own age.

My sisters would come by on their way to the club or going to the beach, I would want to go with them but wouldnt go because I didnt know that I could go, just take God with me. I was bored and had started to look back but was still hanging on. I took this white guy my boyfriend to church. And at that time I found out just how saved these people were. MY pastor who was white also. called me and told me that some of the members had threatened to stop coming to church if I was going to be bringing a white man there. MY heart broke. I could not believe these people could call themselves saved and children of God and be racist at the same time. I allowed the enemy to use this to turn my back on God. I was already starting to slip but this is what it took to make me fall.

I say all this to say that that pastor, instead of calling me and telling me that, should have put those member in check. The final decision was mine and I had to seek forgiveness for my backsliding but that same pastor will have to answer to God for his treatment of me a babe in Christ while I was under his care.

Omigod!

So the Pastor didn't do anything but tell YOU to not to bring your white man to church anymore? He was a false prophet and was only thinking if the people stop coming, my money runs out!!

The Pastor passed up a perfect opportunity to set these people straight! What a valuable lesson he deprived them of, due to his own self-interest!

Now I'm mad! Omigoodness!

Mariaat40

I don't go to a megachurch. We have about 1000 members but I still hear people say that it's difficult to get to know people. As others have said, you really have to become involved in some sort of ministry or small group to feel at home among large numbers. Once you become involved, the pastor and leadership staff gets to know you.

Regarding the pastor's accountability for our souls, my husband is a minister and a former pastor. My personal belief is that his primary role is one of shepherd and guide for his congregation. But each individual must make his or her own decisions and life choices. I think he is AS accountable for his congregation as each of us is for the people we meet in our day to day lives -the example we set, our actions, and the words we share with both believers and non-believers.