Do You Remember Surge 14 Hair Revitalizer?????

LavenderMint

I got my mother on the spray back in May and she messaged me earlier this week thanking me. She's seeing good results.

I found the styling custard at my local bss and tried it on my hair after washing this morning. I don't think I like it. It's thin, leaves my hands feeling stripped and I'm fairly certain it's making my scalp itch in a BAD way. :( Washing this out after the gym tomorrow morning.

jerseyhaircare

I bought two bottles the last week of May because I was tired of my near bald edges (result of really bad post partum shedding). Prior to this, for the past two years, I've tried not perming, protein treatments, Jamaican castor oil, wild growth oil, olive oil, leaving my edges alone...all with no improvement.

At the end of using this product for close to two months-mainly spraying in the morning and bedtime-my edges have fully returned on the right and about 75% on the left.

I'm so grateful for this site because I was getting depressed-can't really do hairstyles with bald edges. I can't attribute the quick growth to anything else, so thanks ladies.

MACGlossChick

I noticed that the price on this stuff had jumped up on Amazon. Has anyone in Bergen county, NJ found it locally?

Not yet. I went to a bss in Hackensack, one in Teaneck, and one in Bergenfield last week looking for something else but I haven't seen these products either. There's a new bss that opened in Hackensack on Main St so I'll have to check there. Last stop for me will be Paterson.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Not yet. I went to a bss in Hackensack, one in Teaneck, and one in Bergenfield last week looking for something else but I haven't seen these products either. There's a new bss that opened in Hackensack on Main St so I'll have to check there. Last stop for me will be Paterson.

Oh wow. I've been to the location in Teaneck and Bergenfield since they are close to home. I guess Amazon will have to do if I choose to use this product again. The Teaneck location was listed on their website but the owner didn't even know what I was talking about when I went.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Anyone seeing results???? I feel that my braids are growing out faster, but haven't done an official check.

Yes, like you, my braids are getting longer, too. They shrink up to the same length when dry. But when I am braiding my wet hair, them things slap me low on my back when I finish braiding them and release them. We got 6 more months left in the year. I am on the G-R-O-W! I started this new regimen Dec 26th, 2016. I am enjoying each month of this new journey.

gvin89

Yes, like you, my braids are getting longer, too. They shrink up to the same length when dry. But when I am braiding my wet hair, them things slap me low on my back when I finish braiding them and release them. We got 6 more months left in the year. I am on the G-R-O-W! I started this new regimen Dec 26th, 2016. I am enjoying each month of this new journey.

Do you mind sharing your full reggie?

Chicoro

Do you mind sharing your full reggie?

No problem! This is my process. I wrote this out in a thread about caring for tailbone length hair. The one difference I have since I wrote this up is I wear my braids and undo them before I wash my hair and do my deep moisture pretreatment. I put my hair in bantu knots then put in loose braids before I wash and condition. After conditioning, I finger comb and put in my oils and butters, then braid tightly. I leave my hair braided until the next wash day. I cannot wash braids that I've worn all week. If I do that I will have massive tangles. Everything else is the same.

My observations pertain to hair that is squarely in the 4 range, or hair that looks like mine (3 range) and "acts" and grows like it is type 4 hair. I dislike hair typing but it helps to cut to the chase to get everyone one the same page quickly during a discussion.

My observations for many tailbone length women with afro-textured hair:
  1. Hair is rarely washed more than 1x per week
  2. Hair is washed in braids or twists or sections(one on one attention is given to either each section and/or each braid in that section). This one may seem obvious and well known. But the difference is that these women don't take all braids/twists out at once and combine the hair on a regular basis. Either they undo the hair and leave it in its own section, or they wash, condition and leave all hair in braids/twists. To detangle and comb out, they do one braid at a time, leaving the rest braided or twisted or sectioned but tend to not combine all the hair together.
    • Note: I overlooked this. I have always washed and conditioned my hair in braids. But after I detangled a section, I would combine it with the other sections. Hence, I would always need to use a comb to detangle it and get it back into sections. With these ladies, fingers are used more than the comb.
    • Also, I realized that I have been damaging my hair NOT at the detangling stage, but before, during my braiding and unbraiding. I pull and snatch my hair apart and the force or tension maximized at the ends of my hair causing tangling and breakage. I have been damaging my hair before I even began the detangling process.
    • For the first time EVER in my hair care process, I did not need to use a comb because I washed, oiled and conditioned my hair in braids. I carefully and gently undid a braid, while leaving the rest braided. I put in my leave in and gently re-braided that one braid. Surprisingly, the unbraiding/leave-in/braiding took a long time even without detangling with a wide, toothed comb.
  3. Hair is sectioned / done in sections-See detail above, point #1.
  4. Hair is stretched before it is styled (bantu knot, banded, heat stretched). Some women let there hair dry in
    • braids or twists
    • bantu knots
    • banded hair
    • put on rollers
    • Some women lightly blow dry
  5. Hair is kept stretched after it is styled (These ladies tend to gather their twists and pin around their heads or combine the twists creating some kind of stretching on the hair.)
  6. Shea butter is often used (protects hair and organic tissue like hair and skin from the break down of proteins on the exposed surface by the environment, specifically protects against the sun.) It may not be used throughout the entire journey, but during significant time frames or points in the journey (transitioning only, washing, sealant, etc)
  7. Extremely low maintenance styles (For me, low maintenance styles are not necessarily protective styles! I define low maintenance styles as those where the hair is manipulated as little as possible.)
    • Some braid or twist hair until it dries and leave it for three days to a week, then undo the hair to wear braid outs or twist outs until the next wash day.
    • Some leave the twists or braids in until the next wash day. (me!)
    • Some do up do's
  8. Specific daily hair end regimen (or frequent as in 2 or more times per week, ends given special attention)
    • Even if the entire braid or twist is redone , they tend to have a specific regimen for the ends
    • Ends are wetted or spritzed with water, an oil is added (Water + oil) (Usually castor oil or shea butter).
  9. Protective Styles (For "me" , protective style is determined by what you are doing with the ends of the hair. If the ends are not up and out of the air, I do not consider the style protective.)
    • Ends are twisted up, covered, tucked and/or kept from the air like Wanakee Pugh taught years ago
    • Hair ends or the entire head is kept covered or protected during the day and/or at night
      • Head scarves for night
      • Tucking or hiding hair during the day or night
  10. Trimming
    • Trimming done on a fairly regular basis
    • Trims tend to be done in braided or twisted styles (Unevenness not an issue as most of these women rarely or ever wear heat straightened hair styles)
  11. Time :timer: (2 to 8 year journeys. The average seems to be 5 years.)
That's all! It's enough, I know!

Edit: Forgot some form of protein is used whether be in a commercial product, treatment or DIY. Frequency depends on the head of hair.

Last edited:

simplyconfident

About to order two bottles!!! I will report back after one month of usage.

Any relaxed heads using this? If so, how are you applying it? How is the spray effecting your styles?

Chicoro

I bought two bottles the last week of May because I was tired of my near bald edges (result of really bad post partum shedding). Prior to this, for the past two years, I've tried not perming, protein treatments, Jamaican castor oil, wild growth oil, olive oil, leaving my edges alone...all with no improvement.

At the end of using this product for close to two months-mainly spraying in the morning and bedtime-my edges have fully returned on the right and about 75% on the left.

I'm so grateful for this site because I was getting depressed-can't really do hairstyles with bald edges. I can't attribute the quick growth to anything else, so thanks ladies.

Congratulations to you!!!

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
About to order two bottles!!! I will report back after one month of usage.

Any relaxed heads using this? If so, how are you applying it? How is the spray effecting your styles?
I do! If my hair is straightened I use the cream. If it's not straightened, I spray the X21, APB Leave in, and then APB oil. 99% of the time I just wear a bun or ponytail, that I redo every day (I usually just finger comb). My job makes me pretty sweaty, so I haven't noticed too much of an effect. I do feel like my hair is getting thicker though.

runwaydream

I was just at the beauty supply store this morning and I was hoping to stock up but there was only one bottle on the shelf. I asked when they are getting more and they said they aren't and the product is being discontinued. When I looked on their website it seems like they just came out with a bunch of new products so I find that hard to believe. I bought 5 bottles from house of beauty for back up just in case. But does anyone have any details on this?

GGsKin

I haven't spritzed in a while. It builds up on my scalp a little and I haven't been washing frequently so...yeah. I still have a pretty decent stash so I will get back to it at some point as it starts to get into Autumn.

ak46

I so remember! Lol. I saw major hair growth results from surge. I will say though that I remember it being drying to my scalp, I had to consistently oil and moisturize while I used it. It also caused the skin on the back of my ears to peel ... not sure why but it didn't hurt. I went way back in my Fotki to look at my results from it ... 11 years ago!! Lol

ETA: I have not tried the new version. Sounds like it's the same? Not sure ‍♀️

IMG_6072.PNG

Misseyl

I'm natural and I have been using XCEL-21 on my edges twice per day. I added some Rosemary oil for added benefit. I will report after the bottle is finished. What I expect is new hairs growing into the sparse areas of my scalp. It took a long time for my edges to get this way but if I notice my edges filling-in then I know the product is a success and then 'll give it a proper critique.:afro:

gvin89

Still using it! I took my braids out 2 weeks ago and feel I haven't been as consistent with spraying like I should. It doesn't make my scalp itch if I use oil with it.