Do you still use Aphogee 2 step protein treatment?

do you still use Aphogee 2 step protein treatment?

• Yes

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • No, I found other alternatives

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • No, I don't need protein in my regimen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

waff

Whenever I look back in older threads, it seems that most members made sure to do a heavy protein treatment periodically (monthly, every two months, etc). Aphogee 2 step is a classic in this forum, many members swore by it to maintain healthy strong hair. I have noticed that it's not mentioned as often here. I wonder if it's the fact that members found other alternatives.

My question:

do you still use Aphogee 2 step protein treatment? If you still do use it, how often?

If not, what do you use for maintaining moisture-protein balance?

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I stopped using Aphogee 2 step, because it stopped working for me. When I used it, it felt like a light protein treatment. I just wasn't getting the same results. I switched to Mizani Kerfuse, which worked well for me. I decided to switch it up one day, tried henna, and never looked back. While henna is not a protein treatment at all, it acts like protein by filling in the gaps of my high porosity hair. I will use a light to medium protein DC, like Naturelle's Sweet Greens, but it doesn't replace henna for me.

NaturalEnigma

I used to use it when I was relaxed. It worked like a charm when my hair would fall out. I haven’t used it since I’ve been natural. It’s been over 10 years. I’m afraid it might be too heavy of a protein for my hair. I don’t want to experience protein overload. My hair is fine with medium to light proteins.

Theresamonet

I still use it. But only when something is actually going wrong, like I’m experiencing excessive breakage or split ends. I use other lighter and more convenient to use protein treatments for regular maintenance.

waff

I stopped using Aphogee 2 step, because it stopped working for me. When I used it, it felt like a light protein treatment. I just wasn't getting the same results. I switched to Mizani Kerfuse, which worked well for me. I decided to switch it up one day, tried henna, and never looked back. While henna is not a protein treatment at all, it acts like protein by filling in the gaps of my high porosity hair. I will use a light to medium protein DC, like Naturelle's Sweet Greens, but it doesn't replace henna for me.
Just checked out the etsy page for Naturelle's Sweet Greens and I see over 30k sales! wow, that's amazing. I might have to give it a try. Henna does give a strengthening effect and is amazing for scalp health. I remember my scalp use to have 0 dandruff for 1 month at least after the treatment. I wish it wasn't so messy to do lol

waff

I still use it. But only when something is actually going wrong, like I’m experiencing excessive breakage or split ends. I use other lighter and more convenient to use protein treatments for regular maintenance.
That makes sense. could you share some of the lighter treatments you use for protein?

waff

I still use it. My hair needs weekly protein, so I add a teaspoon of Aphogee (for the collagen) and a teaspoon of Colorful Neutral Protein (for the keratin and wheat protein) to my DC. I use that every week, even if I'm using henna, and my hair has never felt or looked better.
That's really interesting, never heard of anyone doing it like that! Great idea :) Thanks for sharing

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I used to use it when I was relaxed and when I used to bleach my hair. It's too heavy for my natural hair so I used the Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor.

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
Aphogee 2 min I used it a couple times years ago it it's a light protein treatment as its in a cream/lotion type can be used regularly.

ApHogee 2 step is the one that is used lf you have a lot of breakage as it will go rock hard. I would only use this if my hair is in bad shape

In the meantime, I stick to mizani products:
fulfyl is a good light protein treatment, its discontinued this is my favourite one.
Kerafuse/Hydrafuse is their older line and is discontinued.
Renew strength this hardens a bit discontinued.
Bond phorce has replaced them, salvage shot is another product for after relaxers . I've done a thread on Mizani products recently.

abioni

I started using Aphogee 2-step again and got good result. My breakage stopped. I wish I had used it earlier. My ends would have been more healthy. I now plan to use it every 6 weeks to two months depending on if I have my hair braided.

meka72

My hair loves protein and I’ve previously used Aphogee 2 step every 2 weeks for about 6 weeks without any ill effect. Because I haven’t been taking care of my hair like I should :look:, I did the Aphogee 2 step treatment followed by Mill Creek Keratin or Joboba conditioner. I then DCed with a moisturizing conditioner.

I basically always have a bottle of it on deck lol.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Aphogee was really bad for my hair, long-term (only did it twice, with a gap of a year) and I had to cut it off. Next I tried the green tea spray by them, and again, it messed up my hair (texture- maybe because it sprays on, it's not covering all of it, so each time, it's adding to unevenness??) and AGAIN i cut it off!!! I've had several pixies in the past 10 years basically.

I do AMAZING with henna but again, I cannot overlap (pure) henna with a chemical dye cuz again: chop. That's what happened this time around (late March). My hair is VERY porous btw so I'm sure others will not have this level of issues.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I haven't used 2 step in years. If I were to try again, I'd try Chicoro's whipped method over straight use of of the bottle.

lorr1e1

My hair loves protein and I’ve previously used Aphogee 2 step every 2 weeks for about 6 weeks without any ill effect. Because I haven’t been taking care of my hair like I should :look:, I did the Aphogee 2 step treatment followed by Mill Creek Keratin or Joboba conditioner. I then DCed with a moisturizing conditioner.

I basically always have a bottle of it on deck lol.
I would recommend everyone use the following light protein/moisture product every other week or try every 3 weeks with steamer or conditioning cap my hair always feel extra soft.

Cloudina Dreams

I used it once when I was relaxed. Nothing bad happened but I was afraid to use it again lol.

I couldn't do protien that much, if at all when I was natural.

Now (texlaxed) I use Hawaiian silky 14 in 1 and it says it has vegetable protien in it. Maybe once a month I will use Kenya Moore's dc and I was very pleasantly surprised how good it is! I think the indian oil that I put in my shea butter may have henna and/or some type of other strengthening ingredients. If I need a moisturizing DC, I use APB's OMG dc. The balance seems to be doing well.

meka72

I would recommend everyone use the following light protein/moisture product every other week or try every 3 weeks with steamer or conditioning cap my hair always feel extra soft.

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll see if I can find a bottle.

lorr1e1

I used it once when I was relaxed. Nothing bad happened but I was afraid to use it again lol.

I couldn't do protien that much, if at all when I was natural.

Now (texlaxed) I use Hawaiian silky 14 in 1 and it says it has vegetable protien in it. Maybe once a month I will use Kenya Moore's dc and I was very pleasantly surprised how good it is! I think the indian oil that I put in my shea butter may have henna and/or some type of other strengthening ingredients. If I need a moisturizing DC, I use APB's OMG dc. The balance seems to be doing well.
Yeah it the hard protein aphogee 2 two step you have to be careful as it hard core the ones mixed in with conditioner type products are light protein and has moisturiser in it so they are not as harsh and can be used on a more maintenence basis.

LushLox

There’s no need really. I find it too unpleasant to use unless I really require it.

My hair loves protein and feels quite strong now from the protein that I give it now and again. Which reminds me I need to repurchase my treatment.

Cloudina Dreams

Yeah it the hard protein aphogee 2 two step you have to be careful as it hard core the ones mixed in with conditioner type products are light protein and has moisturiser in it so they are not as harsh and can be used on a more maintenence basis.
Exactly, I totally agree