Do You Use A Rinse Out Conditioner And If So When?

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Since becoming natural, I don’t need a strong protein treatment. So I use the ApHogee 2 Min as my R/O after I shampoo. I still follow up with a deep conditioner.

Over the last 6-8 months, I decided to alternate weekly with the Joico K-Pak R/O.

~~~~~ In Depth ~~~~
To avoid snags when detangling when I shampoo... I finger detangle when rinsing out my shampoo and I use my detangling brush when rinsing out my R/O.
I use the protein R/O prior to a moisture treatment and I use the K-Pak prior to my henna gloss treatment. The K-Pak balances out the henna and the Aphogee ensures I still get a protein treatment at least 2x a month.

6FC760E2-3F83-4F78-B601-50E19F156589.jpeg4996F1E8-AF6B-4F8F-8C4B-8863A8600544.jpeg

Last edited:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Both of these are fantastic! Especially for naturals! I don’t see naturals using or mentioning these products often. I recommend basically what you do to my natural friends and clients who just need a lil somethin, and not anything major like the ApHogee 2 step. I use these similarly myself!:D
Since becoming natural, I don’t need a strong protein treatment. So I use the ApHogee 2 Min as my R/O after I shampoo.

View attachment 462139View attachment 462143

Neomorph

I have not used a rinse out since my TWA days, but I need to get back on it! While a shampoo and a DC has done wonders for my hair health, it is tedious and I need a good rinse out for wash days when I just don't have the time to do a full routine.

I just bought the Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner to test out (I've been wanting to try it out anyways) and I'll be looking into some SSI rinse outs.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Tonight used a R/O after Cleansing and B4 my Protein Rx to test that method. I will do it the next coupla' wash days for research purposes.

I normally use my R/O after my DC'ing Session if necessary.

Will sleep in my Moisture Rx and Rinse in the a.m. Originally, I was going to steam with it.

Neomorph

Update on my rinse out trials: It's been really successful with the Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner. I've been able to do two wash days midweek in under an hour! This is perfect as I've been looking to have a shortened routine when I don't have time to do a full DC. Another pro of having a rinse out is being able to have a quick pre-poo option when necessary, so I can shorten my "full wash day" routine.

Shadow_Lace

Do you regularly use a rinse out conditioner ? At what step in your routine do you? If you dont, why?

I was doing some thinking and I realized in the past, I regularly used rinse out conditioners and now I dont.

I go straight to deep conditioning after rinsing my cleanser out. My hair was healthier back then but then again I also washed my hair every 3 days, I dont do that anymore because frankly Im lazy.

Revisiting some things and decided to see what yall are currently doing

Even with the more or less frequent than usual wash days...

I'm currently experimenting using RO conditioners as Pre-Wash detangling agents.

The slip they provide is great for removing the tangles/matted roots/snarls and excessive shed hair.

When I do use shampoo, I usually use a protein/strengthening treatment, protein/moisture balancing DC, or just a dc/masque then proceed to styling products.

When I'm using an actual cleansing conditioner (a co-wash product with real cleansing ingredients)?

Depending on my hair, I may/may not follow up with a RO or DC.

Sometimes, I just use a Co-Wash (actual cleansing agents), & then use a leave-in &/or styling product.

bronzeqtoftx

Knowledge Seeker
When I was natural I always used my conditioner as a leave in to make my hair coils clump together. Now that I’m relaxed I use it as a rinse out and use a separate leave in afterwards as part of my dressing.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
@Lita @Bette Davis Eyes @Aggie

Remember there was a place that folks use to accuse folks of getting their "base" from and then adding oils etc??

It may be MRH's or TXS? I know folks would buy their "gallons" there and say it was the same formulation (and product) a lot of the Handmade's were using.

I found a few. I had to go on NC and look at the base thread @IDareT'sHair

Aggie

@Bette Davis Eyes, New Directions Aromatics sell shampoo and conditioner base as well. They also sell most things by the gallon and drum.

Massage Warehouse sells the Giovanni Smooth As Silk and the other Giovanni conditioners by the gallon as well for under $50. Right now there is a sale for the gallon bottle for under $40. Hope this helps.

Last edited: