Do you use regular conditioner outside of cowashes?

ellebelle88

Just wondering if there are people who use regular conditioner (the kind that has a shampoo partner). Do they have a purpose? I mean, in the past, I've used cheapie conditioners to cowash and sometimes I use them as a leave-in but other than that, I bypass regular conditioners in favor of deep conditioners.

I get sent a lot of shampoo and conditioner samples in my beauty subscription boxes and I usually use the conditioner as a shave cream (lol!) but I have so many I'm trying to decide if they are even worth keeping. I don't think slapping "regular" conditioner on my hair for 3 minutes after washing it is going to make much of a difference in my hair. What say you? Do you use regular conditioners? How do you use them? Do you have a favorite?

Blairx0

I rarely use rinse out conditioners. I cleanse, deep condition, and rinse with water. I don't co wash, so rinse out conditioners are nice, but not needed.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I use them for cowashes and regular conditioning. I'll shampoo, use the rinse out to help detangle, then either style my hair as usual, or DC. I deep condition only once a week, and usually end up shampooing about twice a week. Since I get moisture overload easily, my DC is always protein; but if I tried to DC more than just once a week, my hair would have a little too much protein in it.

I'm not really loyal to any particular conditioner at the moment. Most recently I've been using Infusium 23 Moisture Replinisher conditioner mixed with safflower oil. I'm trying to use up my stash.

ManeStreet

I use a rinse conditioner if I know I'm gonna to be washing again in the same week. Let's say I'm on vacation & I just came from swimming. I will shampoo & use a rinse conditioner since I know I'm going to be swimming again the next day. I won't deep condition until after my last day of swimming is over.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I deep condition overnight pre-shampoo, so i use rinse after shampooing or as a cowash if i didnt do a deep overnight.

Nazaneen

to me most cons can be deep conditioners if left in for a while... I love Herbal Essences in the pink bottle and the yellow bottle. They really are excellent as post wash cons.

Fauxshim

Gym Rat
Yes. I use regular conditioner after every shampoo, usually once or twice a week, except for once a week when I use the Aussie 3 minute miracle.

FemmeFatale

Great question, I've been wondering about that too lately, even for my weaves I'll wash then deep conditions.

I remember what I use them for now, prepoo mixes!

AgeinATL

Now that I think about it, not really. I just don't have a use for rinse out conditioners in my regimen. The closet thing to one would be my Jessicurl Too Shea but I use that as my leave-in. I am a huge cowasher, but I tend to use a conditioner specifically designed for mild cleansing.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My "Regular" Conditioners are my Cowash Conditioners.

The only other way I "may" use a R/O is occasionally after Deep Conditioning.

If I feel the DC'er didn't do it's job or if my hair feels dry after I rinse out my DC'er, I might follow up with a R/O.

Angelbean

I use regular conditioners and designated co-wash conditioners too I am a pj and love hair stuff so it's whateva with me and I cowash mid week so I need extra condish around...but I don't cowash before I DC though...

Britt

Yeah, I use elucence moisture balance as a reg conditioner in the shower, I could also leave it on and use it as a deep conditioner.

oneastrocurlie

Elucence Moisture Balance is the only conditioner I have that's a rinse out. Lately I've been sticking to buying conditioners specifically labeled as DCs.

ellebelle88

Yeah, I use elucence moisture balance as a reg conditioner in the shower, I could also leave it on and use it as a deep conditioner.

I thought I remembered back in the day reading that rinse-out conditioners cannot become deep conditioners by simply leaving them on longer. Something about the molecules aren't small enough to penetrate the strands like deep conditioners.

kandake

Yep I use them when I don't feel like Dcing or when I co-wash. Oh and as a leave-in.

Last edited:

Misseyl

Nope, after I read that a 3 minute conditioner does not make it a deep conditioner, I started to use those conditioners for washing only.

kupenda

Yes but only in a pinch. I swim relatively often for work and I dont have the time or convenience to do a full wash day while in the locker room. So ill use a clarifying shampoo and slippy rinse out conditioner to get me through until I can fully wash my hair. Other than that, I only use them for cowashing

kupenda

I thought I remembered back in the day reading that rinse-out conditioners cannot become deep conditioners by simply leaving them on longer. Something about the molecules aren't small enough to penetrate the strands like deep conditioners.

Ive read the same thing. That just because you put V05 and honey in your hair for two hours doesn't mean you did a true deep condition. Rinse out conditioners work at the outermost layer. They are more superficial I believe

Lilmama1011

Yeah I have heard this as well. But I still do it. I go by how my hair feels. I still wouldn't use v05 as a deep conditioner. Has to be something thick