Do you wash twice a month or less?

Ozma

I am interested in hearing from ladies who wash 2x/month, 1x/month or even less often.

How often are you washing?
Do you protective style all or most of the time between washes?
How often do you detangle, if at all? Is it finger detangling or comb/brush?
How has this affected your retention?

Thank you very much

LovelyNaps26

i am returning to bi-weekly washing. when i did this, mostly due to a busy schedule, two years ago, I retained every single inch.

my hair thrives on low manipulation. I wear large twists that i pin up. I moisturize as needed and seal. After two weeks I take them down, detangle, wash and DC.

Retention is absolutely great. The only hair I lose is shed hair, not breakage from manipulation. Also my hair feels great by the time i need to wash. If my scalp didn't have build up I'd extend it longer. The key for me is to use light moisturizing products so my hair isn't heavy with product. Aloe vera, oils and natural hair products work the best. If I use stylers, which I don't use, I have to wash weekly.

Renewed1

How often are you washing? Bi-weekly. But I do co-wash weekly.

Do you protective style all or most of the time between washes? YES! All the time. I retain more when my hair is pinned up. I either twist or bun my hair.

How often do you detangle, if at all? Is it finger detangling or comb/brush? Weekly. I finger comb during the week and use a comb to FULLY detangle on my wash day.
How has this affected your retention? I don't have a problem with retention. As long as I keep my hair hidden, I'm fine. I may up my FULLY detangle sessions weekly, to lessen the amount of shed hair.

Some people's hair thrive with less washing/manipulation. But I base my scalp with JBCO and I work out, so I have to clean my hair/scalp. Even if it's letting water run over my hair.

LovelyNaps26

LovelyNaps26,

Do you detangle on dry hair or wet/with product?

I detangle on hair saturated with oil and conditioner. I spritz the hair before applying conditioner so it's damp. I do so in small sections with a wide tooth comb like this:

Basically my goal is to comb my hair twice a month only when coated with product. It leads to very little breakage.

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I am interested in hearing from ladies who wash 2x/month, 1x/month or even less often.

Thank you very much

Good post!
I wash twice a month after 8 weeks post relaxer. after 12 weeks post to 16 weeks post, I wash once a month. I'm not trying to deal with the NG that far in my stretches. smh :(
I protective style 100% of the time since April.
I detangle everytime I wash. Don't want matted hair. nope. I detangle with my fingers first & then follow up with a wide tooth comb.
I think my retention is pretty good. see my siggy.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

temfash

I wash once every 2 weeks its less manipulation for my fine highly porous hair, I also live in protective styles. I detangle with my fingers I only use a comb to part my hair for styling.

Last edited:

JudithO

i am returning to bi-weekly washing. when i did this, mostly due to a busy schedule, two years ago, I retained every single inch.

my hair thrives on low manipulation. I wear large twists that i pin up. I moisturize as needed and seal. After two weeks I take them down, detangle, wash and DC.

Retention is absolutely great. The only hair I lose is shed hair, not breakage from manipulation. Also my hair feels great by the time i need to wash. If my scalp didn't have build up I'd extend it longer. The key for me is to use light moisturizing products so my hair isn't heavy with product. Aloe vera, oils and natural hair products work the best. If I use stylers, which I don't use, I have to wash weekly.

Exactly ^^^ . I live in twists... My hair is extremely fragile and kinky.. washing it once a week is just way too much. As long as I keep it moisturized and in twists... I retain every inch... I wash in twists dry in twists.. I never take em down.. only redo, but now I'm trying to grow my hair so retention is key for me.

constance

I wash 2x a month, ps 95% of the time, and use a comb maybe 2x a month. My hair just wants to be left alone.

NikkiGirl

I am thinking of doing this for the last year of my transition. I just need to leave my hair alone.

aviddiva77

Anyone doing this with the heavy sealing method?

This summer I was doing it with heavy sealing (hair grease) but the build-up became too much (regardless if I put it on my scalp or not) and I had to increase to washing once a week. Since it's finally winter here I'm going to go back to twice a month.

Janet'

How often are you washing? I wash every 4 to 6 weeks
Do you protective style all or most of the time between washes? I utilize wash and go ponys as my low manipulation style
How often do you detangle, if at all? Is it finger detangling or comb/brush? I detangle in sections before I wash my hair--almost like a pre-wash with a large tooth comb
How has this affected your retention? I think that this has contributed to my retention...my hair likes to be left alone, for the most part

I would like to add that although I actually clean my hair once every 4 to 6 weeks, I wet my hair daily and once or twice a week, I rinse in the shower

CurliDiva

I would like to add that although I actually clean my hair once every 4 to 6 weeks, I wet my hair daily and once or twice a week, I rinse in the shower

@Janet'

I'm confused :spinning: .....what is the difference between "wetting your hair" and "rinsing in the shower" ? Are you using conditioner or oil during or after these water days?

Are you using shampoo "only" every 4 to 6 weeks?

Your hair is beautiful, so I want more details!!!!! :grin:

TIA, Curli

Last edited:

Janet'

@Janet'

I'm confused :spinning: .....what is the difference between "wetting your hair" and "rinsing in the shower" ? Are you using conditioner or oil during or after these water days?

Are you using shampoo "only" every 4 to 6 weeks?

Your hair is beautiful, so I want more details!!!!! :grin:

TIA, Curli

CurliDiva I "wet" my hair everyday, using a spray bottle filled with 96% water, 4% EVOO. At the beginning of the week, I will apply leave-in conditioner and then re-apply every couple-few days. On the 4th and 7th day (sometimes once a week, sometimes twice), in the evenings- I actually run my head up under the shower while I am showering to rinse all of the build up off of the gel, leave-in conditioner, etc).

I then put my hair up into a wash and go pony and KIM.

Oh, and when I do "wash" my hair, I use WEN Cleansing Conditioner.

I hope it makes sense, in real life it doesn't seem nearly as complicated :lol:

blackberry815

I recently adopted Lonei's wash and set every three weeks method.. So far so good. I don't miss my weekly 6 hour wash and set sessions. Once every 3 weeks is more feasible with my busy schedule. Also less manipulation = more hair.

StarScream35

Thank you very much

A few years ago I faithfully washed my hair once every 9 weeks and that's when I got my relxer.

I never washed in between or did anything else in between. The only thing I did was wear a silk scarf at night and pony tails during the day. Never any weaves or protective styling.

I detangled with a comb.

This regimen contributed to my retention but my hair was extremely dry and easily tangled and easily broken. I now know that what contributed to my retention was low manipulation not the low washing.

I'm at a point now where I feel if you got the right products for your hair, frequent washing and moderate manipulation won't hurt your hair at all. I wash every other day nowadays.

Last edited:

blackpearl81

I wash 1x/week and protective style most of the time between washes. Detangle in the shower with Jibere comb..otherwise, no comb or brush until next wash. I think the low manipulation technique is one of the main reasons for my retention...

Last edited:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Thank you very much

1. I am washing once every 2-3 weeks (little baby, no time!)
2. I do protective style 98% of the time, more so out of convenience than anything.
3. I don't purposely detangle, but I brush through pretty much daily with my Goody Jojoba Brush when I am redoing my protective style in the mornings
4. Retention is excellent--probably because I'm "leaving it alone" for the most part.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I am thinking of doing this for the last year of my transition. I just need to leave my hair alone.

:yep: I think I'm gonna do this for the rest of my transition as well. Lately due to my schedule that's what I've ended up doing and my hair seems to like it.