Does a protective style have to be pulled back/pinned down?

Glib Gurl

In another thread, someone mentioned that her long-haired co-workers always wear their APL hair down and then wonder why it never grows. I'm thinking, though -- does a protective style have to be pulled back or pinned down? I've worn my hair back in a bun for years and that didn't do much than make my hairline recede. Lately I've been wearing my hair in a mass of curls and that has been my protective style . . . rolling it at night forces me to give my hair some TLC and then during the day the hair itself is unbounded and can just "be" . . . I don't know if this helps my hair grow, but I certainly feel like it helps cut down on the breakage I was getting from pulling my hair back all the time . . . .

Thoughts?

TLC1020

I don't think so, as long as the hair don't rub the back of their clothes continuously.. The constant rubbing dries the moisture out of the hair and the ends become dry and will eventually need trimmed more often than needed..

ayoung

No, for me, there r diff. protective styles.
Keep my hair from rubbing on shoulders/getting caught in purse strap etc....
A low manipulation style where i'm not combing and brushing alot everyday
A style where my ends r not exposed the the harsh weathe (in the fall/winter)

Sometimes rollersets, some pinned/cliped up and some down in front, braids.....

dreysonsmommy2011

Actually, on the other thread I posted that these women had shoulder length hair that doesn't seem to grow beyond that point. I am pretty sure that it is because they are constantly wearing their hair down. If I am not mistaken to go from SL to APL means to make sure that your hair is up(protective style). These particular co-workers of mine wear their hair down every single day.:blush: My idea of protective styling is a style that doesn't require alot of maintenance and protects your ends(not a style that allows your ends to rub against any article of clothing). With that being said some people would beg to differ what protective styling is. For example some consider a rollerset protective styling, but I don't:rolleyes: These women's hair have alot more issues than their style, but i would have to go into too much detail and I don't wanna:nono:

Glib Gurl

Actually, on the other thread I posted that these women had shoulder length hair that doesn't seem to grow beyond that point. I am pretty sure that it is because they are constantly wearing their hair down. If I am not mistaken to go from SL to APL means to make sure that your hair is up(protective style). These particular co-workers of mine wear their hair down every single day.:blush: My idea of protective styling is a style that doesn't require alot of maintenance and protects your ends(not a style that allows your ends to rub against any article of clothing). With that being said some people would beg to differ what protective styling is. For example some consider a rollerset protective styling, but I don't:rolleyes: These women's hair have alot more issues than their style, but i would have to go into too much detail and I don't wanna:nono:

LOL at the bolded!