Does anybody eat wheat germ?

KurlyNinja

I have heard of all the good benefits of wheat germ oil and how it is loaded with ceramides and how great it is for the hair.

The reason I ask is because when I came back home this summer, my mother had a whole jar of wheat germ.

I've started adding it to my daily morning oatmeal and you cannot really taste it at all, but i'm sure you could add it to other foods as well.

Here is an article I found about wheat germ.

Walk past any health food store and you will no doubt see advertisements for wheat germ. Wheat germ is one of the most nutritional products available. In fact, wheat germ contains 23 nutrients, and has more nutrients per ounce than any other vegetable or grain.

Wheat germ is a part of the wheat kernel. The germ is only a very small part of the kernel, approximately 2 ½ percent in total. The word germ does not have anything to do with bacteria; it simply refers to germination. The germ is the reproductive part that germinates and forms the wheat grass.

Wheat germ is very high in protein. It contains around 28 percent protein and has more protein than can be found in most meat products. The human body needs protein in order to repair tissue damage and to help minerals and nutrients reach our cells.

The amount of nutrients that are contained within wheat germ seems endless. It contains more potassium and iron than any other food source. Also found in great quantities are riboflavin, calcium, zinc magnesium and vitamins A, B1 and B3. Vitamins B1 and 3 are very important to maintain energy levels and maintain healthy muscles, organs, hair and skin.

Another important vitamin found in wheat germ is vitamin E. Vitamin E is a very important antioxidant. It is helpful in preventing the body's aging process and also to prevent heart disease. Vitamin E also helps to prevent blood clots and is needed to strengthen the body’s immune system.
Wheat germ has been found to be very beneficial in order to keep the body in tip top condition. It is used by athletes in their diet to improve cardiovascular function and improve endurance levels. Body builders will also add wheat germ to their diets in order to bulk up and maintain the nutritional levels they need to perform.

You can buy wheat germ from all good health stores and many supermarkets will carry it as well. It can either be purchased in toasted or fresh form. There are also many food products that already contain wheat germ. A number of cereals are made with it, as well as bread and flour.
If you make your own bread or cakes you can easily add wheat germ when baking by using it instead of a small amount of flour. You will find that it has a sweet, almost nutty flavor that is not too overpowering. It can also be added to meat dishes, eggs, vegetables and even yogurt.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-wheat-germ.htm

I bolded sections I thought could be important. I know our hair is mostly protein as well. I guess I'm posting this because I wanted to know if anybody has been adding this as part of their diet and has gotten some type of result from it? I'm also guessing it could not hurt to up the protein and vitamin intake as well.

loshed

I do. It tastes great in yogurt so I figure it's an easy way to get some vitamins. I did get a growth spurt in the month after I started eating it but that could have also been attributed to the fact that I started exercising or that it finally got really hot.

xcuzememiss

yeah it is really good. The only thing is I have to budget out for Wheat Germ. Its either that or something else. Usually it's something else. LOL

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Yes I add it to a fruit smoothie energy drink that I have every morning. I also add flaxseed into the mix. Don't know if I'm getting any noticable hair benefits, but it sure can't hurt.

Traycee

I bought some for me and only use it in my protien smoothies that I never make anymore..But the hubby adds a teaspoon to his oatmeal every morning faithfully

seemegrow

I do. I add mine to my salad at lunch. It doesn't have a taste to me. I feel like it gives me protein boost. I hope some more people chime in.

Vashti

I bake my own bread and since I prefer white flour over wheat, I buy wheat germ and add it to my dough before baking. Good stuff!