does anybody else have weird hair like mine??

L.Brown1114

~my hair feels wirey, so i guess i have a wirey texture
~it takes awhile to get SOAKING/FULLY wet (when it rains i could stand in the rain for hours and only the top of my hair would get wet)
~when its in its curly state it looks cottony
~when i pull the hair it looks and feels silky
~my roots grow in "straight" (when i wear micros i can leave them in longer than recommended because my new growth comes in "straight" if that makes sense....
~when i straighten....professionally :look:...its flowy and whispy
~when dry it can look 4b, when moisturized my curls pop

I CANT FOR THE LIFE OF ME FIND A GOOD MOISTURIZER!!! HELP!!!!!!
and my hair HATES glycerin

if anyone has my same texture PLEASE tell me if you have found a staple moisturizer!!!!!!!!

Krystle~Hime

your hair seems to have low porosity.. but I don't understand how 4type hair can start growing straight... :look:

yes to cucumbers leave in condish is great, light but very nourishing and doesn't contain glycerin.
also my hair doesn't like glycerin, but i've discovered 1 year ago that it doesn't mean it hates humectants. honey is great, so I my humectant of choice in my homemade spritz moisturizer is honeyquat. honey is great in DC too.

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
~it takes awhile to get SOAKING/FULLY wet (when it rains i could stand in the rain for hours and only the top of my hair would get wet)
~my roots grow in "straight" (when i wear micros i can leave them in longer than recommended because my new growth comes in "straight" if that makes sense....

if anyone has my same texture PLEASE tell me if you have found a staple moisturizer!!!!!!!!

like someone else mentioned you sound like you have lo porosity. You need to try to only use shampoos that are acidic.

You also sound like you have fine or med strands with med density.

your hair does not grow straight its just your strands are fine maybe medium thereby given the illusion of growing straight (my dd has hair that is 4ab but the strands are mainly fine and med so her roots when braided look wavy.

You sound like you need a moisturizer that is balanced, something that contain: keratin,veggie protein, wheat or soy protein.

Rusk sensories smoother leave in sounds like a good start

what have you used so far.

kupenda

Are we related? Even as a relaxed head I have a patch in my crown that never seems to take to anything. Not moisturizer, water, conditioner. I have to use a sulfate shampoo if I want to know that I even touched it with product because otherwise can't tell. My ng also comes in straighter than expect it to. My family thought I had a diff grade of hair when I had my TWA. It's also wiry in some parts (the crown patch aka projects) and wispy and flowy in others (nape, sides). Weird stuff going on up in my head.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

hothair

Are you taking MSM? Sounds like low porosity. MSM made my hair grow in straighter and wiry.

beana

We sound like hair twins! My hair grows in very smooth. When I wear weaves, the first half inch looks straight but by my length is def type 4. I always describe my hair as cottony. It takes a while for my hair to get wet and my hair air dries quickly.

I use darcy botanicals transitioning cream, its the best thing ive found so far.

silenttullip

Dang ur hair sounds just like mine
For a moisturizer try one of these

1. fill a spray bottle with1/2 giovanni direct 1/2 water, evoo or evco, 3 drops essential oil
2. Hawiian silky 14 in 1
3. whipped shea butter ovr hair spritzed with water
4. qhemet burdock root

By the way when I started cowashing and went back to shampoo I realized it took a lot less water to get my hair wet. A shower filter can also help

Last edited:

Nonie

like someone else mentioned you sound like you have low porosity. You need to try to only use shampoos that are acidic.

You also sound like you have fine or med strands with med density.

your hair does not grow straight its just your strands are fine maybe medium thereby given the illusion of growing straight (my dd has hair that is 4ab but the strands are mainly fine and med so her roots when braided look wavy.

You sound like you need a moisturizer that is balanced, something that contain: keratin,veggie protein, wheat or soy protein.

Rusk sensories smoother leave in sounds like a good start

what have you used so far.

Myjourney2009 I agree with what you wrote, except the bold--you might've mistyped, so just want to clear it lest it confuses. I just wanted to point out that acidic products would not be ideal for low porosity hair as they would make the cuticle close even tighter thus making it even harder for products to penetrate the strands--in other words, worsen the "problem". It might be divachyk (not sure), but someone shared how she fixed her low porosity hair by relaxing it. The alkali in relaxers opened up the hair cuticle, and according to some, the cuticle doesn't always close fully after relaxing (I always thought it did after the neutralizing solution but someone shared that it doesn't)...so IMO alkaline products would be more beneficial, at least before the conditioning stage so they can open up strands to receive conditioner benefits. I don't know if anyone with low porosity has tried baking soda (dilute please) as a rinse before conditioning to see if her hair feels soft.

I think the deduction that you have fine hair and that's why you think it grows in straight might be true. The wiry definition does make one think "coarse or medium strands", but if you do have fine hair it could be that it feels wiry because it's lacking internal moisture--a problem low porosity hair might have.

Oh and I HATE glycerin, i can only tolerate glycerin if its in a rinse out.

beana, why?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Your description sounds like my hair with one exception...my hair got wet and dried so fast that I used to just stand in front of a stand fan for a minute or two.

My hair also straightens with very little heat. I was able to improve my porosity with regular trims of the ends of my hair and using porosity control. The ends are and will always be porous but its far less noticeable now.

Glycerin is thy enemy.

*CherryPie*

You described my hair EXACTLY!!

I stay away from proteins and acidic products. I condition with heat or steam to open the cuticles to allow moisture to enter. I moisturise twice a day after spritzing with warm water.

*CherryPie*

mzteaze , Your hair sounds like it's HIGHLY POROUS. Op's hair sounds like it has LOW porosity.

Your description sounds like my hair with one exception...my hair got wet and dried so fast that I used to just stand in front of a stand fan for a minute or two.

My hair also straightens with very little heat. I was able to improve my porosity with regular trims of the ends of my hair and using porosity control. The ends are and will always be porous but its far less noticeable now.

Glycerin is thy enemy.

beana

Nonie glycerin leaves my hair feeling coated and slimy when wet and does nothing for my hair dry. I avoid it like the plague for my daily styling products. The build up is ridiculous and glycerin leaves my hair damp feeling, yet dry looking.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
@Nonie - I do have low porosity but I wasn't the person who relaxed to fix the problem. I will be getting a TU at a new salon tonight and I will speak to her about ways to combat low porosity. I will update this thread after our discuss.

My hair doesn't feel wirey and my ng isn't straight. My hair, does however, take a long time to get wet but it doesn't take forever to dry (not to me at least). When air drying, I'm fully dry in ~1hr if I let my hair hang. If I bun my hair while wet, it will take up to 24 hours to dry if I don't let it down to get some air.

I use Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer. I have a shower filter.

ETA: Stylist did not have any good suggestions for correcting low porosity. :ohwell:

Last edited:

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
I'm newly natural (23 month transition) and have/had this issue as well. Up until recently, I thought I had scab hair when really all I needed was a hard protein treatment. I didn't think I still needed the hard protein because I was no longer relaxing, but I was wrong. I had been using Roux PCC, light proteins, dc with steam, to no avail.