Does anyone NOT deep condition...

angellazette

in the traditional sense? I was just thinking about this in another thread...

The whole theory behind deep conditioning is to let the conditioner sit long enough to penetrate the strands with or without heat. Elucence Moisture Balance can be used a deep conditoner and leave in.

My question is, does it seem necessary for a person to deep condition if they are using Elucence (or any other deep conditioner) as a leave in? By using it as a leave in, it would have been in your hair for atleast a couple of days. Wouldn't that be considered deep conditioning? How much deeper can you get than that?

Is it really necessary to deep condition with Elucence, rinse, then add more Elucence as a leave in.

I hope this makes sense? Any opinions?

I'm only talking about those conditioners that are obvious deep conditioners.

angellazette

I've been doing it and I'm starting to think that atleast for me, deep conditioning under a plastic cap for 15-30 minutes, etc. isn't necessary because of the leave in I use.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Hey angellazette, I've wondered the same thing about using a conditioner for deep conditioning, then rinsing it out, then putting more in as a leave-in. It sounds kinda like a waste of product to me.

By the way, I am someone who doesn't deep condition. I've let conditioner sit on my hair for 30-60 mins before and it doesn't do anything different to my hair. It feels and acts the same. Deep conditioning doesn't make my hair stronger, softer, or anything...my hair is already strong and soft and my hair just stayed the same after deep conditioning, so I figured I really don't need to deep condition.

Reactions: iVR

HoneyDew

I only deep condition my protein conditioners when I do protein treatments. Otherwise, like Poohbear, I just leave it on longer. I do sit under the dryer for about 10-15 min during my henna treatments.

Dry hair is never a problem for me, even after protein and henna treatments so I really don't feel like I need to sit under the dryer.

asubeauty

I don't really deep condition either. I get pretty good results from using Humectress or NTM mask in the shower while I wash my body, and then rinsing before I get out.

But when I use ORS Hair Mayo I sit under the dryer, but I really don't use it unless I feel that I need to use protien. I've learned that I should use protien all the time, so I don't do this a lot.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I haven't deep conditioned in a good while, mostly out of laziness. But I think depending on the type of conditioner it is, it does help my hair a little bit.

asubeauty said:
I don't really deep condition either. I get pretty good results from using Humectress or NTM mask in the shower while I wash my body, and then rinsing before I get out.

But when I use ORS Hair Mayo I sit under the dryer, but I really don't use it unless I feel that I need to use protien. I've learned that I should use protien all the time, so I don't do this a lot.

Same goes for me. I find that leaving conditioner on my hair while I shower is good enough for me. I used to DC for 15 - 30 minutes, but I stopped one day due to laziness and never looked back.

Caramela

I keep meaning to deep condition. It's been awhile. I just don't feel like lugging out that hood dryer.

trulyurangel82

I have to. My hair is prone to dryness. if I dont do it it will break off :/
I went years without deep conditioning after i got my first relaxer yrs ago. I didnt know much about it lol. Big mistake. My hair went from healthy to broken off. Now that im deep conditioning again its getting back on track though theres still needs for improvement.

LovelyLionessa

Lately, my pre-poos have been enough for me as far as deep conditioning goes. I pre-poo and leave it on for a while, then shampoo and condition in the shower.

CodeRed

Bumping to see if anyone does this now, how long you've been doing it, how long is your hair, the health of your hair, etc.

Kinky4Agirl

I deep condition for the sole purpose of peace of mind. I know full well that products absorb into the hair in 15 to 20 min...

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I went thru a period where I didn't DC and my hair paid the price. I'm back to regular and consistent DCs. IMHO those who consistently follow a routine with regular condish (aka daily condish) could probably avoid regular DC but if your goal is to increase length and/or volume, I think DCs are a valuable tool.

Caramel74

I do oil rinses when my hair is dry. Sometimes in the summertime I buy the ORS Reconstructor and leave it in in a wet bun. My leave in has proteins and oils in it so I haven't really had the need. I don't dye my hair or do anything else to it. I do enjoy getting a deep conditioning treatment at the salon when I go once in awhile.

Do you use regular conditioners with protein in them and also have to do protein treatments or are your regular conditioners protein free? TIA

I use Joico K-pak conditioner and the k-pak protein treatment (I haven't used this in a while though :look: ). I'll typically sleep in the conditoner because I'm lazy.

I try to use the conditioner every other week.

CodeRed

I use Joico K-pak conditioner and the k-pak protein treatment (I haven't used this in a while though :look: ). I'll typically sleep in the conditoner because I'm lazy.

I try to use the conditioner every other week.

Thank you. I've been using Mane n' Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner and Joico Moisture Recovery Conditioner for my regular conditioning and my hair feels really good. I accidentally didn't deep condition for two weeks and my hair was still strong... I noticed both of those had keratin in them, as does the Joico Moisture Recovery Balm that I (try) and use once a week. I might experiment for the month of February to see if regular conditioning does it for me. It's a good time to try it out since it's winter...

Thanks again!

greenandchic

I've been wondering this too. If I can cut my DCing down to every other week, or longer, that would be good. I'm not sure if that will work while transitioning though.

@angellazette does the Eluence conditioner have slip?

ladysaraii

I don't although when do I, it's on dry hair prior to washing. Usually using AO GBP

I do need to be better about hard protein treatments.

snoop

I used to dc with mayo and pulls then stopped for about a year. I didn't notice a difference. I got bored with not being PJ and tried a DC a couple of weeks ago. I didn't notice a difference.