Does anyone still use a hot comb?

RosesBlack

I am just not good at flat ironing. I have a nice small flat iron that I will use on occasion but when I want to really straighten (which is maybe once every three months or so) I use an electric hot comb that my Mom bought me years ago.

Am I the only person that uses one of these anymore?

And also, while I'm at it how can I get better at using a flat iron without really damaging my hair?

AKA-Tude

Gurl,

I was just on ebay trying to find one for new growth if I decide to stretch!:lachen:

The flat iron- well, I had to practice! It was so different from a curling iron! The more you do it, the more confidient you'll become.

Last edited:

tijay

RosesBlack said:
I am just not good at flat ironing. I have a nice small flat iron that I will use on occasion but when I want to really straighten (which is maybe once every three months or so) I use an electric hot comb that my Mom bought me years ago.

Am I the only person that uses one of these anymore?

And also, while I'm at it how can I get better at using a flat iron without really damaging my hair?

I still use the flat iron! It helps me to stretch between relaxers. The only way I got better was by practicing and but I still get nervous when the iron gets close to my ears and face. For me, keeping the heat low is less damaging and I try to iron the new growth only (but it's hard sometimes).

HTH

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Can u please tell me how the electric comb works and does it damage your hair? It seems that I can't flat iron for crap. :lol: I can get one for myself and hopefully use it to switch up my styles.

isioma85

msportugal said:
we are still oldschool over here. hot comb to the stove no plug testing it on a piece of paper towell :look:

Girl you ain't alone! Gotta make sure the paper towel is moist, the sizzle factor lets you know how hot it is! :lol:

I haven't used heat for the most part during my stretch though. But when I do, I use a flat iron for the front edges.

RosesBlack

My hot comb is the BOMB DIGGITY! It's one of those that's gold plated with a bunch of heat settings. I use it on the low end something like 4-5. I make sure my hair is fairly clean, I oil my new growth fairly well and I use this spritz protectant stuff that I can't remember the name of. I don't use it all that often but I noticed when I do it's not as damaging as when I was using a curling iron all the time or anything like that.

I need a new one though the heat settings have gone a little wonky and I don't want to burn off anything. I have yet to really get to be able to straighten it bone straight at all. I'm scared touse higher heat.

GoldenBreeze

When I want my hair straight, I still use a hot comb. I never learned how to use the kind that you put on the stove, so I use an electric one like yours RosesBlack.

ClassicChic

I get my hair pressed with the hot comb. However, I don't know how to use it myself. I think I want to buy an electric one for myself.

BLESSED1

I'm actually looking for a hot comb now, lately these naps have been looking at me like :ohwell: when I break out the maxiglide. I had a good one that used to belong to my great aunt but that broke, I'm not sure if I want an oldschool 1 or an electric 1

MissFallon

I thought hot combs were only for naturals but i see some of u are relaxed. So, u can use theme on relaxed hair or are they only for natural hair?

jwhitley6

Old school hotcomb over here (not electric). I alternate using 2 combs to make the process go faster. Occasionally, I'll use an electric flatiron afterwards if I want a super flat syle, but I usually like a little bounce and curl to my hair.

RosesBlack

MissFallon said:
I thought hot combs were only for naturals but i see some of u are relaxed. So, u can use theme on relaxed hair or are they only for natural hair?

I texlax and stretch my relaxers about 8-10 weeks and use mine to straighten new growth around my face if I'm wearing phonyponies. Or I found if I use a hot come 1-2 times a month it makes managing my new growth a lot easier.