Does cowashing = shedding??

starfish79

I've always shed a lot of hair but lately it has been just ridiculous!! My hair is getting soooo thin. I'm natural so I've been doing the cowashing and it has really improved the condition of my hair, and made it easier to detangle. I think it's leading to build up on the scalp though, and making my shedding worse. My hair isn't overly soft and mushy so I know I have enough protein. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

ajargon02

I've always shed a lot of hair but lately it has been just ridiculous!! My hair is getting soooo thin. I'm natural so I've been doing the cowashing and it has really improved the condition of my hair, and made it easier to detangle. I think it's leading to build up on the scalp though, and making my shedding worse. My hair isn't overly soft and mushy so I know I have enough protein. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I haven't had this problem so I don't know how helpful I can be. I would do a protein tx anyway. If you are shedding and you haven't changed your diet or had a significant increase in stress, then just do the protein tx for a while, follow up with a dc and see if that shedding slows down. Hth, good luck to you.

blazingthru

I read years ago if you used cheap conditioner and just rinse them out they can make your ends flare up. So If I use a cheap conditioner (which I don't anymore) I follow it up with an oil to protect my hair. its not designed to penetrate the hair shaft-- it just coats it. Which is really not what we need. We need penetration. Not a coating which leads to build up and other problems. I never could get on the bandwagon with the cheap conditioners I never forget the coating part in the lesson. So this coating leads to split ends. I wish I could find the article but its been years.

starfish79

I haven't had this problem so I don't know how helpful I can be. I would do a protein tx anyway. If you are shedding and you haven't changed your diet or had a significant increase in stress, then just do the protein tx for a while, follow up with a dc and see if that shedding slows down. Hth, good luck to you.

No changes in diet, and I don't feel more stressed than normal. Thanks for the tip, I'll try incorporating some more protien in my reggie.

starfish79

I read years ago if you used cheap conditioner and just rinse them out they can make your ends flare up. So If I use a cheap conditioner (which I don't anymore) I follow it up with an oil to protect my hair. its not designed to penetrate the hair shaft-- it just coats it. Which is really not what we need. We need penetration. Not a coating which leads to build up and other problems. I never could get on the bandwagon with the cheap conditioners I never forget the coating part in the lesson. So this coating leads to split ends. I wish I could find the article but its been years.

Thanks for the tip, I'm not feeling like I have problems with the length of my hair. I'm more concerned with what is going on at the scalp since there is no breakage. (I checked) I read in another thread that ladies were experiencing a lot of shedding from detangling w/ condish or a creamy leave in. I ran out and got some infusium 23 leave in and it seems to be making a slight difference. Also, I've been meaning to use up some nioxin so hopefully between the two I'll stop this shedding!

I am a shedder too.

Upon trying Cowashes, I felt I shedded more :perplexed

So I have moved back to washing once or twice a week, I am also all about lo-mani.

When you get some time do you research on Cinnamon,
Thyme (EO) and Sage (EO). These are all good for shedding.
I am working on incorporating them into my regi :grin:

MJ

It could also be seasonal. Some people shed alot more during the fall. If you do a search you may find some threads on the issue.

starfish79

I am a shedder too.

Upon trying Cowashes, I felt I shedded more :perplexed

So I have moved back to washing once or twice a week, I am also all about lo-mani.

When you get some time do you research on Cinnamon,
Thyme (EO) and Sage (EO). These are all good for shedding.
I am working on incorporating them into my regi :grin:

Are you natural or relaxed? I want to try lo-mani but I've found that my hair gets matted if I don't detangle regularly! :perplexed

I am heading out now to get some info on the stuff you suggested. I am desperate to find a solution before I go bald! :spinning:

starfish79

It could also be seasonal. Some people shed alot more during the fall. If you do a search you may find some threads on the issue.

Unfortunately, it's not seasonal. Although I think it has gotten a little worse, there is some greater underlying problem causing the majority of my shedding.

MUST....STOP.......THE...............SHEDDING! :wallbash:

PAPRIKA

It could also be seasonal. Some people shed alot more during the fall. If you do a search you may find some threads on the issue.[/quot

After all, other animals shed at seasonal changes. I noticed more shedding myself.

BrownSkin2

Are taking any vitamins? Have you had your iron level checked? Low irons is a cause of shedding as well. Hope you find the source, as I know it is very frustrating.

On the same note as SilverLotus and BrownSkin

Are you on any new medication like:

Bith Control or Anti depresants

Both have been known to cause shedding :yep:

starfish79

On the same note as SilverLotus and BrownSkin

Are you on any new medication like:

Bith Control or Anti depresants

Both have been known to cause shedding :yep:

Hot diggity dog!!! I started BC about 3 months ago!!! :sad: Any ways to combat the shedding from BC (besides not taking it?? :lachen:)

I may have my iron level checked though I'm usually borderline, but maybe I'm running a little low.

starfish79

Thanks to everyone for the supportive responses!! I was getting super frustrated which I KNOW just worsens the issue!

Lavendar

Hey Starfish! I'm relaxed with fine hair and started my hair journey by cowashing 3 x a week and ended up with major shedding. My hair was mushy though. When I pulled a strand, it would stretch forever. I had to really up the protein. If you are not mushy or really elastic, there may be another issue going on.:ohwell:

Brownie518

Hey Starfish! I'm relaxed with fine hair and started my hair journey by cowashing 3 x a week and ended up with major shedding. My hair was mushy though. When I pulled a strand, it would stretch forever. I had to really up the protein. If you are not mushy or really elastic, there may be another issue going on.:ohwell:

Yes, you definitely have to pay attention to the condition of your hair, no matter what you are doing to it. I do mostly cowashes, but I make sure that my prepoos incorporate things to maintain elasticity and strength. I also keep up on my clarifying. I definitely have to clarify regularly with all the moisturizing and cowashes and oil rinses, etc. You may not have to discontinue the cowashing, just add some other things to your reg.

starfish79

Yes, you definitely have to pay attention to the condition of your hair, no matter what you are doing to it. I do mostly cowashes, but I make sure that my prepoos incorporate things to maintain elasticity and strength. I also keep up on my clarifying. I definitely have to clarify regularly with all the moisturizing and cowashes and oil rinses, etc. You may not have to discontinue the cowashing, just add some other things to your reg.

It's funny that even though my hair is natural it LOVES protein! I thought I could get by using the light reconstructors but maybe my hair is calling out for a big time Aphogee treatment.

I'm going to start slow and change one thing at a time so that I'll know when I finally hit the magic button.

Brownie518

It's funny that even though my hair is natural it LOVES protein! I thought I could get by using the light reconstructors but maybe my hair is calling out for a big time Aphogee treatment.

I'm going to start slow and change one thing at a time so that I'll know when I finally hit the magic button.

Very good idea. I personally don't use Aphogee anymore but so many of us swear by it. My hair does well with light proteins. I frequently incorporate oat and wheat proteins into my prepoos and leave ins to boost strength and elasticity and it is working well so far. But it is good that you are recognizing your hair's needs and responding. Good luck :grin: