Does Fenugreek (methi) powder strengthen your hair?

sunbubbles

Muffin I don't think that jojoba is absorbed into the hair so that's probably what it didn't like. Coconut is the ultimate penetrator so you hair definitely has good taste.

I love talking herbs to. Maybe we (Jamaraa - that means you!) should start a dedicated thread!

Should the thread be about a single herb (like this one) or a general one?

OOOOHHH YEEEESSSS! Please start a general thread dedicated to herbal talk!! :yep::spinning::drunk::lick:
Ive been waiting for something like that for a while, instead of having to look up info on each herb individually. Make it a general one! OOOOOOOO!! AND whoever starts the thread should have a giant list in the first post with herbs and their basic benefits (hair/health wise),it doesnt have to be a giant paragraph for each post,maybe just a sentence of what it does!!:yep:
and that post can be updated as more ppl add more herbs. OOOOOMMMMGGGG!! I m so excited! Will somebody PLEASE start an Herbal Support Thread???!! Pretty Please??!!

ETA: In all my excitement I forgot to thank u ladies for the wonderful info about fenugreek! Ive been interested in it for a while since learning about its mucilage properties. Now i know to not leave it in, cause I will smell like syrup and I can add it to my cleansing rinse. Im in the middle of making an ayurvedic shampoo at home right now. Heres what Ive got in it so far..

Boiled Water
Shikaikai Powder
Amla
Fenugreek Powder (woo hoo)
A few squirts of Castille Soap

How does this sound??

Oky Dokey I think I need to go eat something cause my head is spinning from all the excitement:lachen::spinning:........ Im gettin old yall!

*Muffin*

I'm all for the sticky status as well. Afterall, there are a lot of relaxed and natural ladies here that use ayurveda practices and jamaraa's right. The natural forum does not get the desired traffic it's supposed to because the Hair Care Tips and Products Review thread gets all the action and viewers. Our focus is strictly hair with these herbs so this is the perfect forum for it.

A lot of the ayurveda threads are so long that it's a deterrant to many ladies wanting to venture into this area of haircare. If the main thread we make has links to other threads, it would not be too much of a hassle/bother to do researches and quickly gain the info we need, emphasis on quickly.

Just thinking out loud, but what if we disect the herbal benefits too? What I mean is this:

herbal recipes for hair shine
herbal recipes for hair growth
herbal recipes for hair strength
herbal recipes for enhancing hair moisture
herbal recipes for thickening hair, etc., etc.

Just throwing out ideas:look:.

I like this idea! We can probably categorize the herbal thread this way. The only problem arises is that some herbs do more than one thing. We can probably write the benefits of the herb after we list the facts (increases shine, thickens hair, darkens hair, etc...) I think that we should create the herbal thread first so that people have a reference, and we can probably worry about the tutorials later. We can all do research on assigned herbs and then e-mail or pm each other with our findings and get each other's approval before posting them in the sticky. Just some suggestions :). I guess we'll have to choose researchers/contributers.

Aggie

OOOOHHH YEEEESSSS! Please start a general thread dedicated to herbal talk!! :yep::spinning::drunk::lick:
Ive been waiting for something like that for a while, instead of having to look up info on each herb individually. Make it a general one! OOOOOOOO!! AND whoever starts the thread should have a giant list in the first post with herbs and their basic benefits (hair/health wise),it doesnt have to be a giant paragraph for each post,maybe just a sentence of what it does!!:yep:
and that post can be updated as more ppl add more herbs. OOOOOMMMMGGGG!! I m so excited! Will somebody PLEASE start an Herbal Support Thread???!! Pretty Please??!!

ETA: In all my excitement I forgot to thank u ladies for the wonderful info about fenugreek! Ive been interested in it for a while since learning about its mucilage properties. Now i know to not leave it in, cause I will smell like syrup and I can add it to my cleansing rinse. Im in the middle of making an ayurvedic shampoo at home right now. Heres what Ive got in it so far..

Boiled Water
Shikaikai Powder
Amla

How does this sound??

Oky Dokey I think I need to go eat something cause my head is spinning from all the excitement:lachen::spinning:........ Im gettin old yall!

Hmm, a moisturizing and strengthening ayur-shampoo. This is pretty good sunbubbles but maybe add some oil to cut the harsh effects of the castile soap.

Last edited:

Aggie

I like this idea! We can probably categorize the herbal thread this way. The only problem arises is that some herbs do more than one thing. We can probably write the benefits of the herb after we list the facts (increases shine, thickens hair, darkens hair, etc...) I think that we should create the herbal thread first so that people have a reference, and we can probably worry about the tutorials later. We can all do research on assigned herbs and then e-mail or pm each other with our findings and get each other's approval before posting them in the sticky. Just some suggestions :). I guess we'll have to choose researchers/contributers.

Emails or pm's would be great. The floor is opend to those who would like to aid in the research. I think jamaraa will be a fine candidate for a lot of the Indian powders and oils. Muffin you are doing well with the herbs so far yourself.

*Muffin*

I would love to contribute. I have some herbs I think I want to start researching. Maybe we can assign them by category. We can divide them up between mucilaginous (herbs that give slip), strengthening, color enhancing/altering, thickening, growth stimulating, cleansing, anti-bacterial/anti-fungal, etc. And whomever gets that category gets to research as many herbs as they like that fall into that category. Sound like a plan?

*Muffin*

Boiled Water
Shikaikai Powder
Amla

How does this sound??

Sounds like a pretty good ayurvedic hair cleanser :yep:. The only suggestion that I have is to please be careful with the Shikakai. If you use too much it can be quite drying, and that combined with the castille soap could spell bad news. Other than that, I think it would make a great cleanser ;).

P.S. You can even put a little honey into the mix to make it a bit more moisturizing. I LOVE adding honey to my mixes. Makes my hair fluffy and moisturized :yep:.

*Muffin*

Most of the herbs have one or even all of these characteristics, so there's no need for separate sections to place them in. Just write it all once and call it a day. :giggle:

Cutting corners, I see :grin:. But I think it would be helpful to mention what groups of herbs work well together (like nettle, horsetail, and coltsfoot work well together in growth stimulation). That way they at least beginners have a sample arrangement when they do their herbal mixing.

Aggie

Most of the herbs have one or even all of these characteristics, so there's no need for separate sections to place them in. Just write it all once and call it a day. :giggle:

Cutting corners, I see :grin:. But I think it would be helpful to mention what groups of herbs work well together (like nettle, horsetail, and coltsfoot work well together in growth stimulation). That way they at least beginners have a sample arrangement when they do their herbal mixing.

Sorry jamaraa, I have to agree with Muffin on this one. I like categorizing because not everyone knows how all these products work, especially the newbies. We have to consider them. They are most likely going to have a ton of questions of which the answers could already be provided this way:yep:.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Ladies, I used fenugreek - 2 tablespoons (seeds) in 32 oz of h2o, however, my rinse wasn't slimy at all. It was ooo-kkk with detangling, didn't notice much moisturization or slip, either. What gives? Did I use too much water?

I will continue to use it for it's hair growing properties. I also have powdered fenugreek that I will mix in coconut oil...still trying to debate on using the seeds vs powder.

vkb247

Maybe those of us who want to contribute can start putting stuff together? How does that sound? I am interested in trying to consolidate the info, tips, and tricks from the massive ayurveda thread. Should I pm someone or just post it here when I am done?

Aggie

Maybe those of us who want to contribute can start putting stuff together? How does that sound? I am interested in trying to consolidate the info, tips, and tricks from the massive ayurveda thread. Should I pm someone or just post it here when I am done?

vkb, Muffin and I are already compliing info on a couple of herbs and powders at a time and if you can compile some info from the ayurveda threads, then you can post what you found in here. I would also ask you to compile and save a word doc on your findings as well so that you can easily find it when it's time for us to put the new herbal thread together. I hope that makes sense to you.

I am already working on finding info on saw palmetto and green tea. Muffing is working on bhrami, amla and shikakai. If anyone else wants to volunteer which herbs they would like to do some research on, can pm me and Muffin so we can be aware of who is working on what.

Aggie

Ladies we can continue working on researching herbs like

stinging nettles (leaves and roots)
parsley
aloe vera
arnica
burdock root
catmint
chamomile
birch
marigold
horsetail (shavegrass)
rosemary
sage
bay leaves
basil leaves
thyme
yucca
pygeum bark powder
arnica
southernwood
bhringraj
mulberries
fenugreek seed
aritha
kalpi tone (optional)
tulsi
neem
henna leaf
orange leaf powder
hibiscus flower
lavender flower

If anyone has more they would like to add, please let me know. TIA!

Aggie

Ladies, I used fenugreek - 2 tablespoons (seeds) in 32 oz of h2o, however, my rinse wasn't slimy at all. It was ooo-kkk with detangling, didn't notice much moisturization or slip, either. What gives? Did I use too much water?

I will continue to use it for it's hair growing properties. I also have powdered fenugreek that I will mix in coconut oil...still trying to debate on using the seeds vs powder.

BBB, try adding another tablespoon of fenugreek seed powder to the mix. I usually add an ounce or two of parachute coconut oil or shikakai, amla or brahmi oil to it. I don't use the whole seeds, only the powder. I think the powder is more potent than the whole seeds.

Hey Ladies! I'm really interested in this Fenugreek herb. I have a question before I purchase some though. Is this the same type of Fenugreek that can be taken internally? I've seen some in the health food store, but it almost doesn't sound like the type you all are using. From what I can tell, what's sold in the healthfood store can be taken internally and is more a tea. Are you all using this as a tea straight from the box or are you taking the contents out of the tea bag and mixing it up with other aryuvedic herbs? I"m a little confused.....

Ltown

Greyland
:yep:, Muffin and I are already working on it but if you would like to help, pmMuffin and me letting us know which ones you want to work on, okay?
I have gather some information from the Indus forum on several of the herbs. I'll PM you

flowinlocks

Hey Ladies! I'm really interested in this Fenugreek herb. I have a question before I purchase some though. Is this the same type of Fenugreek that can be taken internally? I've seen some in the health food store, but it almost doesn't sound like the type you all are using. From what I can tell, what's sold in the healthfood store can be taken internally and is more a tea. Are you all using this as a tea straight from the box or are you taking the contents out of the tea bag and mixing it up with other aryuvedic herbs? I"m a little confused.....[/QUOTE]

The kind I'm using right now is from http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/search/search.php?refine=y&keywords=Fenugreek+Seed+Powder

This vendor also sells the bulk Fenugreek
http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/Fenugreek-Seed-Powder-p84.html

If it's straight Fenugreek with nothing else added then yes it's the same thing. It's usually bought in bulk. I wouldn't suggest using a synthetic GNC version in your hair.

flowinlocks

Ladies we can continue working on researching herbs like

stinging nettles (leaves and roots)
parsley
aloe vera
arnica
burdock root
catmint
chamomile
birch
marigold
horsetail (shavegrass)
rosemary
sage
bay leaves
basil leaves
thyme
yucca
pygeum bark powder
arnica
southernwood
bhringraj
mulberries
fenugreek seed
aritha
kalpi tone (optional)
tulsi
neem
henna leaf
orange leaf powder
hibiscus flower
lavender flower

If anyone has more they would like to add, please let me know. TIA!

I'll help, pming you.

*Muffin*

Yes, ladies, Aggie and I are working on information for the herbal thread. If anyone would like to participate, please PM Aggie or me. With all the herbs, we can use all the help we can get, lol.

vkb247

I am about half way through breaking down the Ayurveda Support Thread in categories like reggies, how to make a powder into an oil, etc, using the BHM format. I have found links to other threads too. Some are massive... The end result of this is going to be an awesome resource. I had no idea how long ladies here have been into this. I definitely think this is long overdue. I am so geeked about this new hair project!

nubinikki

Funny...I was thinking about using fenugreek because I'm breastfeeding my newborn and it's recommended to increase breast milk production (tmi? LOL). Now I see it has other benefits as well. Cool.

Aggie

I am about half way through breaking down the Ayurveda Support Thread in categories like reggies, how to make a powder into an oil, etc, using the BHM format. I have found links to other threads too. Some are massive... The end result of this is going to be an awesome resource. I had no idea how long ladies here have been into this. I definitely think this is long overdue. I am so geeked about this new hair project!

I love it when people are so helpful...:grin:. I, like sunbubbles, can only work on one or two herbs at a time....blame it on short attention span for me though:lachen:.

OhmyKimB

Why did I never come into this thread? This is awesome, I would love to help or even help you ladies with research