Does Fenugreek (methi) powder strengthen your hair?

Aggie

hmm this fungreek seems like something i may want to try. Does anyone use straight fenugreek essential oil on their scalp? Do i have to use the seeds and make a mix or is the fenugreek essential oil safe to use alone?

Cupcake, I've never seen the fenugreek essentail oil, but it sounds like it would be fine. Hmmm, i wonder does it reek as much as my homemade version?...

I have never seen this oil either but I have seen the fenugreek extract, I bought it, tried it, and believe it or not, it has the same curry/maple syrup scent as the seeds. There's no escaping it I think:grin:.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

How long does fenugreek rinse keep? I mean, does it have to be refrigerated? I make too much and have to throw it away - a lot, so I wondered can it last for at least a week, unrefrigerated?

Aggie

How long does fenugreek rinse keep? I mean, does it have to be refrigerated? I make too much and have to throw it away - a lot, so I wondered can it last for at least a week, unrefrigerated?

Fenugreek tea rinse will last in the fridge for about 2-3 weeks. I only make enough for a one time use however. After a few hours with it under my deep conditioner in my hair, what I do is put it in a basin in the sink and take a cup and repeatedly pour the remaining rinse over my hair. Then I discard it. I would then rinse my hair in cool/cold water and style as usual.

Mahalialee4

I make my rinses and freeze them in plastic baggies. The right sizes to fit at least 2 rinse schedules. I can not be bothered batching up stuff too often.

Aggie

Paging @Aggie...

Need some help with fenugreek. Was also looking into making a hair paste with fenugreek and curry leaves. Let me know if you want to discuss here or in pm. Thanks!
Oh my goodness, it's been forever since I've done any ayurveda treatments @mzteaze. I used to use the fenugreek powder boiled in water with any ayurveda oil added to the mix, then strain it in a knee hi stocking to clear out the powder so I can use just the liquid left over on my hair. It was very moisturizing but it leaves your hair smelling like curry, lol. You can add some essential oils to it if you like for extra stimulation and to diffuse the smell of the curry.

The reason why I stopped is because I can't be bothered with all the mess anymore. I just want my deep conditioner with maybe some aloe vera gel, oils, and butters and I'm good. It's much less messy and less of my time consumed doing them.

I still however do henna treatments for natural coloring without the harsh chemical dyes damaging my hair. It's still messy but I'd rather have that for color.

KenyafromCT

Ooops, sorry I'm so late Muffin. I totally missed this thread. Anyway, yes I like fenugreek seed powder mostly for the moisturizing benefits it adds to my hair but it has way more benefits than just moisturizing.

It encourages growth, lustre, health and shine of hair and a well nourished scalp as well. The seeds contain about 30% protein that promotes hair growth and reduces male pattern baldness.

The seeds of Fenugreek are extremely potent and as a result have a medicinal effect to reduce balding, hair fall, and hair thinning. For hair fall and dandruff, the crushed or boiled seeds alone have been found to restore the hair shaft. The seeds also contain hormone precursors that replenish hair growth.

A natural emollient lecithin, known to strengthen and moisturize hair, is present in abundance in fenugreek seed. The high content of protein in Fenugreek explains how it is able to restore damaged and falling hair.

I will always have this herb in my regimen for as long as I can find it. I have not used the whole seeds yet, only the ground ones. I was thinking of getting the whole seeds next from amazon.com though. The good thing about this herb is that you really don't need a lot of it to make a rinse. I use only about a tablespoon or 2 to make a 24-30 oz size rinse for my hair. The slip is simply amazing.

The only thing I would not recommend is leaving it in your hair for days, etc, because it sometimes smell like maple syrup and sometimes like curry:lol:. I get both these comments from my family and friends when I have it in my hair around them:giggle:.

I use it for 30 minutes to 3 hours in my hair then wash it out or add it to my henna treatments. I never go out with it in my hair as a rinse anymore:nono:.
Hello. I’m not sure if you are still on this forum. This thread is so old. Can you give any updates about your use of Fenugreek? Would you say that it’s so high in protein that one would experience protein overload? Thank you in advance.