Does hair grease/oil cause more shedding?

nnmiles

Ladies,
:brainfog:Have any of you notced that when you apply hair grease or even oil the hair sheds more? I ask this because I recently stopped putting in oil and only using a cream moisturizer. I know I should seal my ends with oil, but everytime I do, I loose a lot of hair. So yesterday after my wash and deep condition I used a cream moisturizer and that's all. Now today as I styled and combed through my hair, I lost no strands! :yay: Amazing! So I guess I'll just see how this goes, but I may have to put the oil down for a while. What have you all discovered? :huh:

nnmiles

:phone:Thanks Ladi,

I thought it was just me. So let me ask you have you stopped using the oil on your hair, or on your scalp? Because I think that if we just put it on our hair ends and not the scalp it may not shed as much. Although, I may just opt not to even do that, because I kid you not when I say I have lost no hair since I gave up the oil. I think I'll just stick to the cream moisturizers. Thanks for the quick reply. :yawn:

eshille

Ladies,
:brainfog:Have any of you notced that when you apply hair grease or even oil the hair sheds more? I ask this because I recently stopped putting in oil and only using a cream moisturizer. I know I should seal my ends with oil, but everytime I do, I loose a lot of hair. So yesterday after my wash and deep condition I used a cream moisturizer and that's all. Now today as I styled and combed through my hair, I lost no strands! :yay: Amazing! So I guess I'll just see how this goes, but I may have to put the oil down for a while. What have you all discovered? :huh:

How timely...:clap:

I did the wash day number yesterday, used a mix of castor oil (way too much) and water..sprayed each section as I was rolling, air dried nice and shiny.

I can run my fingers through my hair with no tangles...but...I have more shed hairs today than ever...that's not my norm.

The one positive view I have is these strands are not catching and turning into knots...but...if it continues I will go back to using my creme moisturizer.

OP..thx for posting this observation, it's a great help...:yep:

nnmiles

How timely...:clap:

I did the wash day number yesterday, used a mix of castor oil (way too much) and water..sprayed each section as I was rolling, air dried nice and shiny.

I can run my fingers through my hair with no tangles...but...I have more shed hairs today than ever...that's not my norm.

The one positive view I have is these strands are not catching and turning into knots...but...if it continues I will go back to using my creme moisturizer.

OP..thx for posting this observation, it's a great help...:yep:

Yes, I thought could this really be!? But it is true. So now I'm happy I found out. Thanks for sharing your experience. :grin:

RODI

I have stopped using oils on my scalp and the shedding has been reduced. I only used them on my hair as a sealant.

Misseyl

Funny you're asking this because I washed and conditioned my hair on Saturday and flatiron it w/out any products and when I started to comb I didn't lose a lot of hair, maybe 5 strands or something. So yes you do experience more shedding when you use products. What I've come to realize is that if I don't use products then my hair stays bouncy and easier to comb but once I start applying products then I experience shedding. I guess I need to find a comon ground because my hair needs moisture at some point. I think I'll wear it out for a week then wear a phony for the second week and apply profectiv to my ends. I'll see how this works.

nnmiles

Udate Ladies, I found an oil for me that doesn't cause more shedding. Unrefined coconut oil. Thanks for your help.

chebaby

if i apply coconut oil to my whole head like a treatment my hair sheds like nobody's bidness. but i do mix it with conditioners.