Does our hair clump????

pattyr5

May sound like a dumb question, but after trying tons of different curl defining products, I finally found some that give me the kind of curl I want.
There's just one thing....my hair gets really BIG. The only way that I can explain this, is that my hair is not clumping together the way I have noticed on non-kinky textured hair. Where some non textured ladies get curls and less volume. Most of tge people of color that I've noticed with curls have big hair as well.

Let me explain that I'm actually not too sure what my natural hair type is.... I believe it rangesany where from 3A to 4B. I've used relaxers pretty much all my life, so its straight now, but my new growth can be spiral curled or an S-pattern. Anyway, when I use my curl products, I get some beautiful curls, and looks great as it is drying (which could be all day). But once it is dry, I still have nice defined curls, but I also look like as though I have ten times more hair on my head!

So back to the original question, is it that my (our) hair type does not clump together, or its the type of products being used that causes that effect?

Lynnerie

:perplexed Hi whether or not your hair clumps depends on the hair type. A lot of us have coils/curls that clump naturally but there are products that help encourage clumping. If you need help identifying your hair type post a pic and there are nice ladies here who can type your hair. You can also go to this site:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

About your hair getting big- well thats just the nature of curly hair especially afro-textured. As it dries it gets bigger but it would really help if you can post a pic. Are you trying to reduce volume or are you trying to define/clump your curls?

Fine 4s

Sounds like it clumps and it's just big. You wouldn't get those defined curls without a minimum of clumping. Have you tried manipulating your curls and then using a diffuser to dry the hair instead of airdrying?
I knew one girl with undoubtedly 4b hair with not much definition when dry or combed out. Let me tell you her hair looked GOOD! This was at least 3 years ago and I'm still trying to track her down to ask her what products she uses.
She briefly mentioned her process saying that she had to immediately, after applying styling products, sit under the hair dryer for her WNGs. Her hair was clumped in certain areas but not so much curly but a funky kinky look, hot!
I'm still scared of these WNGs though :S

Janet'

My hair clumps and my hair is thick and dense...so I get the clumping and the big hair...and apparently I'm a 4a/3c mix.

pattyr5

Thanks for your response. What i'd like to do is reduce volume AND get some more definition. I hope you can tell from the pics but some places are curly and others are stringy or wavy. My hair tends to be more afro like/puffier at my scalp.

I am curious to know what hair type I really am too :yawn:

Attachments

• IMG_5153.JPG
    IMG_5153.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5162.JPG
    IMG_5162.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 62

Morenita

Thanks for your response. What i'd like to do is reduce volume AND get some more definition. I hope you can tell from the pics but some places are curly and others are stringy or wavy. My hair tends to be more afro like/puffier at my scalp.

Yep, our hair definitely clumps. It depends on the person. Mine clumps a lot at the ends in particular. I also find that finger combing when detangling, as opposed to using a comb, encourages clumping. A Denman brush also works well if you're trying to achieve more clumping action :p

I'm confused by your post above though. You said in your OP that you were relaxed? Are you asking what your relaxed hair type is?

Nonie

May sound like a dumb question, but after trying tons of different curl defining products, I finally found some that give me the kind of curl I want.
There's just one thing....my hair gets really BIG. The only way that I can explain this, is that my hair is not clumping together the way I have noticed on non-kinky textured hair. Where some non textured ladies get curls and less volume. Most of tge people of color that I've noticed with curls have big hair as well.

Let me explain that I'm actually not too sure what my natural hair type is.... I believe it ranges any where from 3A to 4B. I've used relaxers pretty much all my life, so its straight now, but my new growth can be spiral curled or an S-pattern. Anyway, when I use my curl products, I get some beautiful curls, and looks great as it is drying (which could be all day). But once it is dry, I still have nice defined curls, but I also look like as though I have ten times more hair on my head!

So back to the original question, is it that my (our) hair type does not clump together, or its the type of products being used that causes that effect?

I'm confused by the bold part. So are you using curling products on straight relaxed hair, or on natural hair?

If you're using it on straight permed hair, then perhaps that's why your hair isn't clumping the way you'd like. Hair tends to grow out of the scalp with a uniform pattern which is why natural hair made of large coils clumps because unless you have multiple textures, the hairs can slip into each other because they have the same shape.

If the curls are from just product and are not following a "natural" pattern, then unless it's set chemically (like jheri curls/curly perms) where the pattern is locked in a uniform fashion all through, then clumping may not really happen coz adjacent curls may not have the same bends.

When hair is relaxed, I don't know if the bond breaking is uniform through the whole length or if it varies so that a curling product can only work on some parts and not others. If that's the case, then it would explain why the curls are not uniform.

BTW, this is just me trying to use logic here. If your hair is natural and not relaxed straight, then I haven't the foggiest idea what I'm talking about.

pattyr5

Yep, our hair definitely clumps. It depends on the person. Mine clumps a lot at the ends in particular. I also find that finger combing when detangling, as opposed to using a comb, encourages clumping. A Denman brush also works well if you're trying to achieve more clumping action :p

I'm confused by your post above though. You said in your OP that you were relaxed? Are you asking what your relaxed hair type is?

Is this the only way you detangle?? When I wash my hair I usually detangle with a comb while I'm loaded down with conditioner. But once I rinse, I don't touch my hair again.

To clarify on the hair type question, I was thinking out load about my hair type. I only see my natural hair pattern when I have a good amount of new growth. And judging from my new growth it varies a lot.

Lynnerie

Thanks for posting pics! You have gorgeous hair! To reduce volume have you tried using a diffuser or banding? What products do you currently use. Kinky curly is a good gel that helps your hair to stay the way it is when its wet longer. You can also try eco-styler or ic fantasia gel they give good definition.

Morenita

Is this the only way you detangle?? When I wash my hair I usually detangle with a comb while I'm loaded down with conditioner. But once I rinse, I don't touch my hair again.

To clarify on the hair type question, I was thinking out load about my hair type. I only see my natural hair pattern when I have a good amount of new growth. And judging from my new growth it varies a lot.

Ah ok, I see :)

Actually, I prefer to use a comb, followed by a Denman when I detangle. My hair is much easier to maintain if I get the shed hair out on a regular basis and detangle frequently. Using my fingers produces a different result, but definitely doesn't detangle as well as I'm used to...but it is great for better clumping.

The method you described is a good one. Also as the above poster mentioned, banding helps with reducing volume. It also stretches out your curl though so you may want to experiment with some results.

Are you a fan of twist-outs? Those are a great way to achieve a textured look and reduce volume at the same time.

pattyr5

Thanks for posting pics! You have gorgeous hair! To reduce volume have you tried using a diffuser or banding? What products do you currently use. Kinky curly is a good gel that helps your hair to stay the way it is when its wet longer. You can also try eco-styler or ic fantasia gel they give good definition.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

I have not been using a defuser bcoz my blowdryer broke and I'm still trying to decide which one to get. I sit under a hood dryer for a few minutes to keep it from dripping but this is basically a wash and go style. The products I have been using are Pantene Curl Mousse, Lustrasilk Moisturizing Spray and Samy Big Curls Creme. I also use some coconut oil mixed with castor oil seal.

The only IC product I use is the leave-in which I LOVE, so I will get that out. I have heard alot about KCC from this board, but i hesitated to use it because I thought it was effective on natural hair. I have to see if I can get a sample of that. I was thinking about using Miss Jessie's but I thought it might not work either.

swirl

IG: rhonda_hair
you hair sounds like mines. i discovered that if i wet and put product on my twistout that i can get the defined chunky curls that i like without getting 'pyramid' head as it dries. they key is to manipulate the twist out as little as possible.

pattyr5

Ah ok, I see :)

Actually, I prefer to use a comb, followed by a Denman when I detangle. My hair is much easier to maintain if I get the shed hair out on a regular basis and detangle frequently. Using my fingers produces a different result, but definitely doesn't detangle as well as I'm used to...but it is great for better clumping.

The method you described is a good one. Also as the above poster mentioned, banding helps with reducing volume. It also stretches out your curl though so you may want to experiment with some results.

Are you a fan of twist-outs? Those are a great way to achieve a textured look and reduce volume at the same time.

I don't even know what banding is... so no, I haven't tried that. Twist outs are nice, but I can't maintain them to save my life!!! After the first day, I retwist them, but it just loses all resemblance of a curl, :sad: and if I co-wash, it doesn't look good at all.

I'm going to give the denman brush a try, thanks!!! :look:

2sweetnsugarland

Your hair is gorgeous!!! What is your regimen??? Mine does the same thing. I tried combing it every day, combing it once a week and combing it every other week. I really don't know what to do about it. My hair acts like it wants to "lock" if I don't comb it within 1 week or so.

pattyr5

I'm confused by the bold part. So are you using curling products on straight relaxed hair, or on natural hair?

If you're using it on straight permed hair, then perhaps that's why your hair isn't clumping the way you'd like. Hair tends to grow out of the scalp with a uniform pattern which is why natural hair made of large coils clumps because unless you have multiple textures, the hairs can slip into each other because they have the same shape.

If the curls are from just product and are not following a "natural" pattern, then unless it's set chemically (like jheri curls/curly perms) where the pattern is locked in a uniform fashion all through, then clumping may not really happen coz adjacent curls may not have the same bends.

When hair is relaxed, I don't know if the bond breaking is uniform through the whole length or if it varies so that a curling product can only work on some parts and not others. If that's the case, then it would explain why the curls are not uniform.

BTW, this is just me trying to use logic here. If your hair is natural and not relaxed straight, then I haven't the foggiest idea what I'm talking about.

Wow, thanks for that!!! I think I understand what you were explaining and it makes a lot of sense. I tend to believe that it may have something to do with my hair in its natural state. Because my new growth has the same erratic curl pattern...it's never fully uniform, so why would it be uniform with product. I don't know if it's unique to me, but I definitely grow in different types of curls. So, this might be the best clumping I'll get.

My entire reason for asking was due to a conversation with a natural curly haired woman who said that my hair wasnt clumping to get the same curls that she had. She did not have an afro-textured head, and said my kind of hair couldnt do it. :wallbash:

pattyr5

Your hair is gorgeous!!! What is your regimen??? Mine does the same thing. I tried combing it every day, combing it once a week and combing it every other week. I really don't know what to do about it. My hair acts like it wants to "lock" if I don't comb it within 1 week or so.

Hi...thank you... My hair regimen is a little off because my whole process is in recovery of a bleaching disaster. I've learned a lot here and quite frankly I'm a product junkie!!! Conditioner is like crack to me...so dangerous..lol. I try almost anything...almost, lol.

I wash my hair once a week and co wash once a week. I deep condition with heat on wash day and since I wash and go, I use lots of Lustrasilk for moisture and I seal with a combination of oils. But my salvation has been Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1. I use this stuff on my wash day and it really helps me detangle before I shampoo and I detangle again with my conditioner still in my hair. The specific products that I use can vary depending on what my hair is saying to me. Whatever my hair speak, I listen. :grin:

lexiwiththecurls

Im still a little confused...so you do have a relaxer, but you only see curls from your new growth? But I see in your pictures that all of your hair curls up..is that how your hair curls with a relaxer?

but either way...KCCC or some type of gel and using a denman brush might clump curls and reduce the volume..I believe its more about a persons hair vs products..all curls don't act the same
Nice curls though!

pattyr5

Im still a little confused...so you do have a relaxer, but you only see curls from your new growth? But I see in your pictures that all of your hair curls up..is that how your hair curls with a relaxer?

but either way...KCCC or some type of gel and using a denman brush might clump curls and reduce the volume..I believe its more about a persons hair vs products..all curls don't act the same
Nice curls though!

Yes, I do have a relaxer in my hair. The pics I posted were taken today and this is how my hair looks with the use of curling products. Despite having this much curl, I can still easily wear my hair in a straight style.

Is the denman brush used after applying get and styling products? Or are you ladies using it just to detangle??

P.S. love your hair!!

Nonie

My entire reason for asking was due to a conversation with a natural curly haired woman who said that my hair wasnt clumping to get the same curls that she had. She did not have an afro-textured head, and said my kind of hair couldnt do it. :wallbash:

OK, the lady may not have been far off. The bigger the curls someone has, the easier it is for the hair to clump because the bigger curls easily spoon/cup each other to form one thick bunch. The smaller the curls, the harder it is for clumping to occur. That is why people with very tiny curls like mine do not get visible curl definition when they do a WNG, while people with larger curls like Glamazon or Janet can.

We would need to see your new growth (a good amount of it) to know whether you have the "easily clumping" type hair, ie big curls. My hair can clump if I shingle, but I don't have the patience for it. Tkj25 has the same hair as I and has nice pictures of his hair shingled in his album and you can see itclumping--so if you ever decided to go natural and find you have our hair, you should surprise that lady by shingling and then going. ;)

Otherwise, I think if you were to set your hair on Flexirods or Curlformers, you could get clumping due to the uniform coils formed. Maybe you should do that and then have lunch with your friend. :giggle:

If your hair is relaxed straight, I'm kinda wowed that it gets curly with product.

pattyr5

OK, the lady may not have been far off. The bigger the curls someone has, the easier it is for the hair to clump because the bigger curls easily spoon/cup each other to form one thick bunch. The smaller the curls, the harder it is for clumping to occur. That is why people with very tiny curls like mine do not get visible curl definition when they do a WNG, while people with larger curls like Glamazon or Janet can.

We would need to see your new growth (a good amount of it) to know whether you have the "easily clumping" type hair, ie big curls. My hair can clump if I shingle, but I don't have the patience for it. Tkj25 has the same hair as I and has nice pictures of his hair shingled in his album and you can see itclumping--so if you ever decided to go natural and find you have our hair, you should surprise that lady by shingling and then going. ;)

Otherwise, I think if you were to set your hair on Flexirods or Curlformers, you could get clumping due to the uniform coils formed. Maybe you should do that and then have lunch with your friend. :giggle:

If your hair is relaxed straight, I'm kinda wowed that it gets curly with product.

Yes, my hair is relaxed...I guess the curl products on the market have been upgraded because they didn't use to work on me :grin:

I don't like the way my hair curls with flexirods but I can get some Curlformers...I needed an excuse to buy more hair stuff :lick: lol

Tiye

Mine doesn't. For a lot of people on this board it does clump. There's no one thing that "our hair" does. Everybody's hair is unique.

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
My hair clumps but some areas clump more than others. To encourage the other areas I shake my head from side to side after I've applied product.