Does Your Natural Hair Give You Unwanted Attention?

Does your natural hair cause unwanted attention

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • It depends

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Lylddlebit

I stopped perming my hair in 2002; went completely natural in 2004. In that period natural hair wasn't as popular as it is now. I think when that song "I am not my hair" by India Arie came out that had a positive impact. Social media also had a really positive impact compared to when I first went natural. When I did it liked my hair just fine but it seemed like most people always had something to say. A lot of negative opinions were rooted in ignorance. The reception of natural hair is A LOT better now. Now most people who focus their attention on my hair are positive or genuinely curious and a lot of people just chill on foolishness. Kids and teenage girls will ask to touch it the most., although every now and then I will get a inquiry or request from an adult. When the "natural hair movement" took off is when I got the most questions, and requests to touch my hair. Now it's more chill and people are more comfortable with it than they used to be.

Every positive attribute on us can cause unwanted attention. Natural hair is no different. I have had people try to use my natural hair to be nasty towards me, or say something mean towards me. However I know my hair wasn't the target when that happened, my hair was just what they incorrectly perceived to be ammunition in an attack. The root was always old fashion ignorance, old fashion hating, old fashion jealousy, old fashion insecurity, old fashion retaliation when they tried to use my natural hair as an attack. Even when natural hair wasn't as popular the people who were actually knowledgeable about hair, and had a healthy sense of self confidence were the most positive. If you want to go natural you can do it. If you decide you don't like it that is okay too.

NaturalEnigma

I generally get compliments on my hair. The only person that criticizes my hair is my mom. lol On the days where my hair looks crazy and I get compliments I question their compliments in my head. I do feel uneasy when I have bad hair days and I have a meeting or have to meet with professionals at my job. I feel like I stand out, but no one ever mentions my hair in those spaces so I think its just me being self conscious.

Chromia

People might approach me but they don't stop me. Most comments I get are quick compliments. Occasionally someone will start a short conversation with me.

Sometimes someone will ask me what I did, or what I use, or once in a while someone will say "Is that a twistout?" (Yes, I always wear a twistout). I always like answering questions.

Occasionally I'll get a reaction that's amusing. Just today I was leaving Dollar Tree, and this black guy goes "Ohhh ma gawd! Dass natchal. Dass natchal. Dass natchal." :lol: