Dominican blowout on natural hair

CurleeDST

Ok ladies - it has been about 2 years since I first went to a dominican salon for a blowout of my natural hair. The first time I went the blowdryer was extremely hot and she left a blister behind my ear! OUCH! My hair was sleek, straight and slick BUT my hair smelled burnt!

I was visiting my family in Queens, NY this weekend and since my cousin had to drop off my grandmother to Lourdes' Dominican Salon on Jamaica Ave. I figured I would go with her and get the hook up. Plus I do not want to wear wng's this winter.

So we go in there around 8:00 am and I wait about 5 minutes for Ana to arrive. She comes in and immediately starts to lather my hair up after she puts down her coat. I say she lathered me about 3 to 4 times. Then she put in a conditioner using one of those detergent scoops (I needed 3 of those for all of my hair) and then sat me under the hood dryer for 20 minutes with a plastic cap. She then rinsed me and then brought me over to the chair where she parted my hair and started to blow me out from wet/damp hair starting at the nape using a round ceramic brush.

She turned that blowdryer on high heat and went to work wrapping the hair around the brush, pulling and focusing the blowdryer on the hair using a nozzle on the end. She was able to whip through my hair blowing it out eventhough I had a boatload of natural hair. In the middle Ana had to take off her sweater. I looked at her, laughed and said "Estas caliente mama?" She started to laugh. She finished me up only catching me about twice with the heat, she apologized and kept going.

Afterwards she put a small bit of white cream in my hair that smelled good and gave it a gloss and then finished me off w/ a flat iron. My hair was swinging, bouncing and behavin' and my grandma was like " I didn't realize how long your hair was ". It cost me $30 bucks and I gave her a $5 tip.

While getting blow out a pigeon flew into the salon and I told Ana, there's a bird in here. She paid it a no neva' mind and the receptionist took out BIRD FEED and started feeing it! I was cracking up! The bird eventually flew out after flying into the window a couple of times trying to find the way out.

Overall my hair is still bouncing, very straight, NO BURNT SMELL and no sore scalp from the heat. I brushed my hair last night to wrap it and only 3 strands came out. The day before that only 1 strand came out. Not sure what conditioner and thangs Ana used on me but I have absolutely NO HAIR IN BRUSH disease and I love it!

Too bad I can't continue to go to Ana b/c I would be there e'er 2 weeks during the winter time to get my hair straightened.

So I know heat is bad and all that but I had a positive experience and so if you find the right one I think a positive experience is possible. Gracias Ana!

CurleeDST

I'm uploading now onto my fotki album under November, 2007 folder. Fotki is fotki.com/curleedst.

These pics were just taken today, Wednesday. I got this done on Saturday.

Kawaii1

Can you load one on here? I can't go to fotki or any personal web pages, please? I want to see!

zzirvingj

Your hair looks fabulous! Glad to hear you had a good experience. How long have you had color in your hair now? I'm always eyeing those highlights you have--they're so pretty! :drunk:

CurleeDST

Let's see if this will work.

CurleeDST

Thanks ladies. Now granted this is a few days after my hair day and as you can see I slapped it back in a pony today b/c I am volunteering in my daughter's classroom today in another 30 minutes and I didn't want hair all over the place, but you get the idea.

I love highlights and I have had these since May 1, 2007 (right before I birthed my son) so 6 months now. I go to John at Salon Cielo in Columbia, MD. My girl who used to be on here all the time turned me on to them - I forget her screen name right about now but she was very popular on here. DURN I can't remember it. Oh well. He is very good. Normally costs about $120. But ladies I think you have to pick your poison. If you are going to highlight and color please refrain from using relaxers!

CurleeDST

OK I remember her screen name now - YANTECOI referred me to John back in the day and I have never looked back. He is excellent. Never any breakage and no moisture issues! I love John! Yante has some awesome highlights now eventhough she relocated to Atlanta. She misses John b/c he is DA BOMB!

zzirvingj

OK I remember her screen name now - YANTECOI referred me to John back in the day and I have never looked back. He is excellent. Never any breakage and no moisture issues! I love John! Yante has some awesome highlights now eventhough she relocated to Atlanta. She misses John b/c he is DA BOMB!

Man oh man I sooooo miss her hair pics! :yep:

Does she have a hair album anymore?

glamazon386

I'm glad you had such a good experience. It turned out great. :) But why didn't they rollerset your hair before blowing it out? Is that usually the procedure for naturals?

Also, to the people who asked about the color, I believe all Salon Cielo's do that process. At least for curly hair. I had mine highlighted the same way by my stylist at the one in Towson. It just so happened that that was where my stylist was. The salon was originally named something else, and I'm guessing SC bought them out because one day when I went back for an appt he had switched products and to their line of color and techniques too. They make the color look like its been painted onto your curls but it also looks nice straightened.

Last edited:

CurleeDST

Ya know I was in a time crunch and didn't want to be in there all day so I told Ana I wanted a blowout which is what she did so I presume that is why she didn't rollerset it. I could not be in there 3+ hours. They were done in 2 hours from the time Ana arrived and started washing my hair until she finished flat ironing the last piece of hair.

It is wet and humid again TODAY and I went out without an umbrella and not an OUNCE of frizz or reversion.

CurleeDST

Yante and I stay in touch and she sent me some recent photos of herself from her younger sister's facebook. She keeps her hair a little shorter than shoulder length, she is natural but straightens her hair OFTEN and she has color. She says she kept it at its current length b/c she did experiment with a texturizer and was letting it grow out so she kept clipping the ends. Now all of it is out. When she wears it curly she normally wears it in a pony.

She is doing good!

Nola Darling

But why didn't they rollerset your hair before blowing it out? Is that usually the procedure for naturals?

When I went they just blew my hair out w/o roller setting it. The first time I went my hair was pretty straight but the second time I went my hair was sooo puffy, I could have done it myself. And they were talking bad about me in Spanish. Also, they kept asking me why I wouldn't get a relaxer. So, I'll never go again.

CurleeDST

Ana and them didn't say anything bad about me in Spanish or English. Girlfriend hooked me up. So it was all good - I would go back to Lourdes' Salon in Queens. They were very good.

Nola Darling

Ana and them didn't say anything bad about me in Spanish or English. Girlfriend hooked me up. So it was all good - I would go back to Lourdes' Salon in Queens. They were very good.

I was just talking about my Dominican experience in general, not the place you went.

RosesBlack

Oh your hair came out so pretty. And I really love that color with your skin tone.

I want to try this soooooo bad but can't find a salon in Seattle.

iaec06

girl your hair looks fab I am also with you on getting the right person to do your hair I love the blow out I had but I think they are good for quickies :lachen: because I can't sit and wait under the dryer all the time ..