Dominican Blowouts to Go Natural

Can you use Dominican Blowouts to go Natural?

• Yay! I think it's a great way to stretch--FOREVER

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Nay! You are asking for DAMAGE CITY

Votes: 89 69.0%
  • I used this method and it was a hit!

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I Big Chopped

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 22 17.1%

• Total voters

cocoberry10

Hi Ladies:

I'm contemplating going natural (I know, I'm always contemplating something).

Anyway, have any of you who went natural used Dominican blowouts instead of big chopping?

If so, how did this work?

If not, what methods did you use? I'm looking for all kinds of methods. When I went natural before, I BC'd. I would like to hold onto my hair. And of course, I enjoy wearing straight styles, but am starting to crave more variety.

This time around I'm texlaxed, but more of a medium texturized look, so the difference will be somewhat noticeable (whereas the first time I went natural, it was stick straight-nappy:lol: )

SouthernTease

Yeah...bump this!!!
I want to know too because
I want to go natural without THE BIG CHOP.
It's not like I want to go to the
Dominicans every week just maybe
once a month or whenever I want
to see progress without shrinkage.
My rollersets come out pretty straight so
I don't really need to do the blowout thing.
Maybe just a roller wrap.
Plus I heard their treatments are the bomb.
Ahh... but you know they don't like doing
natural hair... they're always trying to push
a relaxer on a sister.

NuMe2004

I would strongly advise against it!!! I went natural about 4 years ago, and the best advice I can give to anyone transitioning is to begin nurturing your natural texture as soon as you decide to go natural.

The point where the two textures meet (relaxed hair and natural hair) is very fragile because your natural hair is stronger. You are therefore more prone to breakage. It's best to start treating all your hair as if it's natural by keeping it well conditioned and moisturized.

I did not do the BC because it would have been too traumatizing considering I had already lost significant length thanks to a bad dye job while I was relaxed. I simply got regular trims and wore protective styles until my natural hair was long enough to the point where it wasn't so difficult to manage the two merging textures. Today I am all natural baby and lovin it!

That's my 2 cents.

PinkSkates

Originally posted by NuMe2004
I would strongly advise against it!!! I went natural about 4 years ago, and the best advice I can give to anyone transitioning is to begin nurturing your natural texture as soon as you decide to go natural.

The point where the two textures meet (relaxed hair and natural hair) is very fragile because your natural hair is stronger. You are therefore more prone to breakage. It's best to start treating all your hair as if it's natural by keeping it well conditioned and moisturized.

I did not do the BC because it would have been too traumatizing considering I had already lost significant length thanks to a bad dye job while I was relaxed. I simply got regular trims and wore protective styles until my natural hair was long enough to the point where it wasn't so difficult to manage the two merging textures. Today I am all natural baby and lovin it!

That's my 2 cents.
Exactly what she said!

honeybadgirl

YEAH, EXACTLY WHAT SHE SAID SHE SAID....:D
but i love my natural hair. i didnt chop my hair off. at the time i was going to the stylist regularly and nothing really changed. we just kept doing my hair the same way as usual. it is very delicate and you should moisturize and take very good care of it while transitioning

Jaegermany

honeybadgirl said:
YEAH, EXACTLY WHAT SHE SAID SHE SAID....:D
but i love my natural hair. i didnt chop my hair off. at the time i was going to the stylist regularly and nothing really changed. we just kept doing my hair the same way as usual. it is very delicate and you should moisturize and take very good care of it while transitioning

So you just didnt get a perm one day and just grew out the relaxer and kept styling as usual?

See that makes a person want to go natural :ohwell:

cocoberry10

NuMe2004 said:

That's my 2 cents.

Thanks for all this advice ladies.

For those that didn't BC, how did you manage the "demarcation line" (the line between natural and relaxed hair, especially when wet/styling?

I'm mostly concerned that after a time, when I wash, the natural hair is going to break off the relaxed.

Also, what are your hair types? Does this matter (hair type) or is how you care for the hair most important.

honeybadgirl

Jaegermany said:
So you just didnt get a perm one day and just grew out the relaxer and kept styling as usual?

See that makes a person want to go natural :ohwell:

i sure did!!! like nothing happened.:D
coco-i'm like a 3b/3c. i really didnt do anything differently. i really didnt. that is the honest truth. like i said, i was going the stylist on the regular anyway. she kept styling my hair as usual. we still deep conditioned and styled. that was it. i do my hair myself mostly now. mainly because i cant deal with being in there all freakin day and i found lhcf but i continue to dc too

Last edited:

Cheleigh

cocoberry10 said:
Thanks for all this advice ladies.

For those that didn't BC, how did you manage the "demarcation line" (the line between natural and relaxed hair, especially when wet/styling?

I'm mostly concerned that after a time, when I wash, the natural hair is going to break off the relaxed.

Also, what are your hair types? Does this matter (hair type) or is how you care for the hair most important.

I did BC, but after a year and two weeks. Like NuMe said, as soon as I officially started transitioning, I treated my hair as if it were natural. I didn't use heat (except a roller set). I did CW and detangling in sections twice weekly. I kept my hair in flexirods ponytails, buns, and braidouts.

I had almost no breakage at the line of demarcation because I moisturized my hair at least twice daily, deep conditioned twice weekly, and used a lot of "protective styling."

My hair type is afro kinky (type 4) and my hair was relaxed bone straight, so the line of demarcation was very evident. Lots of photos of my transition in my yahoo album.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I transitioned for almost 8 months and then did the big chop.

I would think frequent blowouts would be damaging to your hair. Opt to do rollersets, braidouts, buns, cornrows, wigs, or phony ponies to transition to natural.

ichephren

I want to know the answer to this question as well. I'm seriously considering going natural yet again. I did answer that going to dominicans was a very very bad idea b/c the level of heat and tugging used would break off your hair and thin it out along the way. What does everyone think about putting the hair away for maybe 1.5yrs under a lacefront? Or is it just better to transition by pressing the new growth...I intend to press anyway.

glamazon386

I went to the Dom Salon a few times when I was relaxed but I wouldnt dare let them put that hot dryer near my natural hair now. Also a lot of times with naturals they skip the rollersetting and go straight to the blow drying.I'd say dont do it. Its too much heat and its like youre playing roulette. What if they burn your roots straight? Thats more hair that youre going to have to cut off when you bc. You might have to cut progress off.

When transitioning, it's easier to make your straight hair look more like your natural texture than to make the natural texture look like the straight hair. And technically, you're going to be cutting the straight hair off anyway so it wouldn't be as big of a deal if you were to damage it versus the new growth. The new growth is the beginning of your new head of hair. You wouldn't want to start off on a bad foot right?

I'd say if you really want to wear your hair straight during your transition, rollerset and then flat iron your hair on a low setting and use a heat protectant. If you have to.

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I think this would be to damaging....way too much heat. You can get the same effect by roller setting and wrapping your hair, covering w/saran wrap and sitting back under the dryer. The hair comes out very silky straight. I have the directions and results in my album under silk wrap and macherieamour has an excellent video tutoriol on her blog (sorry, don't have that link).

Lynnerie

I voted Nay for Damage city. I'm not natural but I know someone who transitioned this way. One thing I noticed about her natural hair is her lack of edges. Now there could be another cause to this but if I was natural I wouldnt let them come near me with that blow-comb. I'm relaxed and I only go at relaxer time.

Do do it girl. Instead practice natural styles, braid-outs, twist-outs, bantu-knots, those types of styles. You'll be preparing yourself for your natural journey instead of risking heat damage.

Southernbella.

I'm 4A/B, and I am 6 months into my transition. I do the rollerset/flat iron method. Sometimes I'll blowdry (warm, not hot) rather than rollerset. I can wear my hair straight for a week or so, then when the roots start reverting, I wear either a ponytail or a bun. I always use heat protectant and flat iron on the lowest setting.

This has been working for me. My roots revert perfectly when I wash. If I start seeing any damage, I'll stop doing this, but if not, I will do this indefinitely.

I would most definitely NOT go to the Dominicans for straightening.

Qt girl

When I went natural a while ago, I had my very trusted stylist gently blow dry (not hot and not with a comb attachment). She would press the natural hair if it wasn't straight enough. I didn't have ANY heat damage that way surprisingly, but maybe that's just me.

honeybadgirl

cluelessaka said:
I voted Nay for Damage city. I'm not natural but I know someone who transitioned this way. One thing I noticed about her natural hair is her lack of edges. Now there could be another cause to this but if I was natural I wouldnt let them come near me with that blow-comb. I'm relaxed and I only go at relaxer time.

Do do it girl. Instead practice natural styles, braid-outs, twist-outs, bantu-knots, those types of styles. You'll be preparing yourself for your natural journey instead of risking heat damage.

and alot of people have said to me, you should go and let them do your hair, i'm telling you, it would be so pretty! i get scared and start shaking at the thought of those blow dryers and them ripping thru my hair:eek: .
i dont wanna go no no no:nono:

cocoberry10

Cheleigh said:
I did BC, but after a year and two weeks. Like NuMe said, as soon as I officially started transitioning, I treated my hair as if it were natural. I didn't use heat (except a roller set). I did CW and detangling in sections twice weekly. I kept my hair in flexirods ponytails, buns, and braidouts.

I had almost no breakage at the line of demarcation because I moisturized my hair at least twice daily, deep conditioned twice weekly, and used a lot of "protective styling."

My hair type is afro kinky (type 4) and my hair was relaxed bone straight, so the line of demarcation was very evident. Lots of photos of my transition in my yahoo album.

Thanks for sharing photos and info!

cocoberry10

Pokahontas said:
I think this would be to damaging....way too much heat. You can get the same effect by roller setting and wrapping your hair, covering w/saran wrap and sitting back under the dryer. The hair comes out very silky straight. I have the directions and results in my album under silk wrap and macherieamour has an excellent video tutoriol on her blog (sorry, don't have that link).

Thanks for the info!

cocoberry10

bmoreflyygirl said:
I went to the Dom Salon a few times when I was relaxed but I wouldnt dare let them put that hot dryer near my natural hair now. Also a lot of times with naturals they skip the rollersetting and go straight to the blow drying.I'd say dont do it. Its too much heat and its like youre playing roulette. What if they burn your roots straight? Thats more hair that youre going to have to cut off when you bc. You might have to cut progress off.

When transitioning, it's easier to make your straight hair look more like your natural texture than to make the natural texture look like the straight hair. And technically, you're going to be cutting the straight hair off anyway so it wouldn't be as big of a deal if you were to damage it versus the new growth. The new growth is the beginning of your new head of hair. You wouldn't want to start off on a bad foot right?

I'd say if you really want to wear your hair straight during your transition, rollerset and then flat iron your hair on a low setting and use a heat protectant. If you have to.

Thanks for the info!

cocoberry10

lauren450 said:
I'm 4A/B, and I am 6 months into my transition. I do the rollerset/flat iron method. Sometimes I'll blowdry (warm, not hot) rather than rollerset. I can wear my hair straight for a week or so, then when the roots start reverting, I wear either a ponytail or a bun. I always use heat protectant and flat iron on the lowest setting.

This has been working for me. My roots revert perfectly when I wash. If I start seeing any damage, I'll stop doing this, but if not, I will do this indefinitely.

I would most definitely NOT go to the Dominicans for straightening.

Thanks. Your hair looks great!

BrownSkin2

I voted NAY, damage city. I'm afraid the dominicans will pull your hair out and thin your natural hair. I'd stick to braids, wigs, twists outs and rollersets. Good luck on what ever you decide.

Sunshine_One

cocoberry10 said:
Hi Ladies:

I'm contemplating going natural (I know, I'm always contemplating something).

Anyway, have any of you who went natural used Dominican blowouts instead of big chopping?

If so, how did this work?

If not, what methods did you use? I'm looking for all kinds of methods. When I went natural before, I BC'd. I would like to hold onto my hair. And of course, I enjoy wearing straight styles, but am starting to crave more variety.

This time around I'm texlaxed, but more of a medium texturized look, so the difference will be somewhat noticeable (whereas the first time I went natural, it was stick straight-nappy:lol: )

This is the process I used:

I transitioned for about 15 months. I used a combination of this method.

My hair was textlaxed and bra stap length and I was in NO way interested in doing a big chop. I decided to go to my dominican stylist every 6-10 weeks for wash/dc/lite blowout and trim. In between the salon vists I used protective styling. I did braid/twist outs, wash and go's and really took the time to get re-aqainted with my hair texture again. Also, my stylist was natural and had transitioned herself a few years prior. This was a really good benefit for me because I was able to get her on board with my hair goals. So every time I would come in she was say " OK momy no more relaxer for you! You have XXXX inches of new hair, were gonna trim XXXX inches of relaxer off today ok?" :lol: Now of course I was not always so happy about those trims but I knew they were required to reach my goal.

I highly recommend you find a stylist that is willing to partner with you in achieving your hair goals.

Now this worked for ME. I think the key to using this method successfully is to keep the heat to a MINIMUM. I was not gettting my hair blown out every week and think that is what made the diffirence. This process helped me manage the varying textures of transitioning hair on my head and keep my sanity and enthusiasm. The latter being very important when undertaking any major life style change.

If you want any info on products I used etc. pls let me know.

HTH ;)

Last edited:

frankie

I went to the Dominicans in April, I was in the 5th month of my transition and I needed professional help to get my head tight for a wedding I was in. My stylist did a really good job at taking her time and working through my natural texture. I got a deep conditioning treatment, roller set and blow out. I would not recommend getting it done on a regular basis, but for special occassions I would definitely go back to the professionals. By the way, the stylist recognized that I was going natural and didn't try to push a relaxer on me at all.

As sar as at home styling, I do co-washes and wet bun/pin up styles with scarf as headband, air-dry in a ponytail and do the same up do with headband, or airdry rollerset followed by updo with headband. Very boring and predictable. I flat iron every now and again.

Blackoutzangel05

I am currently transitioning myself and thankfully, as you can see in my avatar, my natural and permed hair blend together well. My sister was 100% natural and went to the dominicans every other month for a blowout and it worked for her hair but I don't know if I would recommend it for someone transitioning simply because I know they are tugging at your hair and they use extreme heat. Going every now and then shouldn't hurt you if you want something professional looking, I know that for my wedding I had a blowout and some glue in weave (Thank God my hair was okay afterwards).

Honestly, I would try to limit the amount of heat that you use on your head. I haven't used heat on my head since my wedding simply because I believe my hair will do better without it, and she used way too much for me. Try the various styles that the ladies suggested and if you have to have straight hair, I know that my hair idol Pokohantas has a saran wrap tutorial in her fotki. When my hair gets longer and its colder outside I am going to try that....

Congrats on your decision!!!

Covergirl5906

I wouldn't do it too often....I have had it done b4 and they did a good job...but the heat:eek: I'll probably just stick to twice a year...I woud try braids for the transition period.

locoabouthair

NuMe2004 said:

That's my 2 cents.

During a consultation a stylist told me the same thing. Also you want to train your hair. With all the thermal styling during transitioning, your hair may not get a chance to know the difference. Plus I think SO1913 said somewhere that she had to cut her in places when transitioning because of using heat...I may be wrong.

But after the fact I think they are wonderful when you want a straight look.They do an awesome job with blow outs.....plus they are sooooo cheap!

good luck!

meia

being honest with you, if you were to go do dominican blowouts you're curly texture is going to be flattened significantly and you could risk loosing that beautiful curl. That would be why in a previous thread I honestly recommended against using heat (particularly straightening devices) because they flatten the texture and wreak havoc on natural hair. So I don't think there would be so much variety just a lot of frizzy waves....lol and I say this because I tried it myself. lol damn not having the best of both worlds! :mad: lol

I did do a thread about a year or two ago about "Transitioning without the BC" that if you do a search on it, a lot of women added their helpful guidance.

BostonMaria

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to add my 2 cents

I say do your own hair and copy the Dominican blowout at home. At least you can tell if you're adding too much heat to your hair. Rollerset, lightly blow out the roots with warm air, and then flatiron your hair. I'm not against going to a salon, but the heat used can damage your new texture.

beans4reezy

The dominicans use a lot of heat. If you use DB's to help you with your transition, I can see where your hair may thin out over a while. This could actually cause more of a set back for your natural hair than an advancement towards being 100% natural.

IMO, you can treat yourself to one, once in a while. But I do not think it's the best idea to rely on them to help you transition.

Last edited: