Dominican Blowouts!!!!

sexyaqr

I had a very interesting visit this weekend at the Dominican Salon.

Mind you this was a Saturday and the shop was packed. It was the usual, tons of ladies getting the famous wash, set and blowout. Now, when it was my turn, the lady whipped out her blow-dryer and brush, then asked me if I wanted a pin-curl or wrap. That was when I told that I did not want my hair blown. Would you all like to know what she whispered in my ear literally,......." Very smart, mami. That's why you hair muy lindo(very pretty)"
She then proceeded to speak Spanish to the rest of her co-workers, with everyone coming to look at my hair.

I know that there are ladies on here that can swear by the famous Dominican blow-out but it just goes to show that even they know that it is not all that good for your hair.
Just wanted to share.

preciousjewel76 said:
Interesting. From what I've read, those hair dryers are crazy hot. I'd be scared to try one, to be honest!

You see the steam rising from your hair. Don't get me wrong, I did this for a while until I realized how damaging it was for my hair

sexyaqr said:

Mind you this was a Saturday and the shop was packed. It was the usual, tons of ladies getting the famous wash, set and blowout. Now, when it was my turn, the lady whipped out her blow-dryer and brush, then asked me if I wanted a pin-curl or wrap. That was when I told that I did not want my hair blown. Would you all like to know what she whispered in my ear literally,......." Very smart, mami. That's why you hair muy lindo(very pretty)"
She then proceeded to speak Spanish to the rest of her co-workers, with everyone coming to look at my hair.

I know that there are ladies on here that can swear by the famous Dominican blow-out but it just goes to show that even they know that it is not all that good for your hair.
Just wanted to share.

So what did you have done to your hair???

I just looked at your album and I agree your hair is beautiful! Hopign to get where you are! I went to the dominicans for the first time a month ago and they asked me if I wanted a blow out and I told her no and I had just gotten a perm why would I need a blowout? I think all that heat they use is unnecessary. I've been heat free for 3 months and Im trying to stay strong.

Ms_Twana said:
So what did you have done to your hair???

Because I was just being lazy and didn't feel like doing it at home, I just had a wash and set(my usual).

The real reason that I like going to them is because they will use my products when I carry it to the salon as compared to the African American sylists here

locabouthair said:
I just looked at your album and I agree your hair is beautiful! Hopign to get where you are! I went to the dominicans for the first time a month ago and they asked me if I wanted a blow out and I told her no and I had just gotten a perm why would I need a blowout? I think all that heat they use is unnecessary. I've been heat free for 3 months and Im trying to stay strong.

Thank You but I also have a long way to go in the health of my care since I had slacked off recently

VERY INTERESTING...I WONDER WHY MORE WOMAN DONT REALIZE THAT THE AMOUNT OF HEAT BEING USED AT A DOMINICAN SALON WITH THE WASH AND SET AND BLOW OUT IS CRAZYYYY..
BECAUSE HERE IT IS YOU GET A WASH AND THEN THEY SET YOU UNDER THE HOT A** DRIER AND THEN YOU WANT A BLOWOUT.. I SEE SO MANY WOMEN WITH THIN LONG HAIR AND I AM LIKE....i feel so bad for them you have the length but your hair is so thin...so its defeats the whole purpose of having long HEALTHY- hair....

THE DOMINICAN WASH AND SET ARE GREAT BECAUSE THEY ARE FAST AND ARE DAMN NEAR SKILLED IN THIS AREA... BUT THE HEAT USUAGE IS CRAZY AND IT IS UP TO THE CUSTOMER TO KNOW THAT A BLOWOUT AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN SITTING UNDERNEATH A DRIER IS NO GOOD IF YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE HEALTHY HAIR...i mean sometimes you are going out and you may need the blowout for that purpose but if every time you go and get the waSH and set and blow out... GOOD LUCK WITH THAT...

sexyaqr said:
Because I was just being lazy and didn't feel like doing it at home, I just had a wash and set(my usual).

The real reason that I like going to them is because they will use my products when I carry it to the salon as compared to the African American sylists here

This is why I like going to the Domincan salon I found in my area. The wash and set is cheap $20.00, I can bring my own products, plus I don't have to make an appointment. I don't get my hair blown out either. This works out great when I am really too tired to do my own hair. My regular stylist is great but I can't get an appointment with her at the last minute plus its $40 dollars for a wash and set.

This is a great post.

I've been wondering about this subject because I am going to Miami in January and my baby sister who lives in the area was telling me that I should go to the Dominican salon with her when I visit. I have never had the famous Dominican Blowout and I'm sure the style would beautiful, but I don't want the hard pulling, twisting and blowing. I don't want to undo all of the hard work I've been employing since I've been a member of LHCF. So I was thinking that I would simply like a professional roller set.

It is good to know I can just do that. This thread is confirmation. Thanks!

I've seen the results of blowouts and I think they look really nice. I've heard some of those stylists can wreak havoc on natural hair so I'm scared they won't gently comb and brush my hair the way that I do. Also, this could be a bad rumor but I heard they take the blowdryers apart and remove the temperature control to get the dryer really hot. Does anyone know if this is true? That scared me and my hair.

Thank you sooo much for this post...this is confirmation what my friend and I discussed a couple of months ago!

It's unfortunate that the Domincan stylist are not telling their clients that the blow-out is not good for their hair....I guess that will interfere with their Cash Flow.:perplexed

PinkPebbles said:
Thank you sooo much for this post...this is confirmation what my friend and I discussed a couple of months ago!

It's unfortunate that the Domincan stylist are not telling their clients that the blow-out is not good for their hair....I guess that will interfere with their Cash Flow.:perplexed

i don't think they need too. Other stylist don't tell us its too much to do touch ups every 6 weeks.

you have to take responsibility for what happens to your own hair.

I would be terrified of those super hot blow dryers. I would do what you did too. Rollerset and then just wrap it afterwards.

sexyaqr said:

Just wanted to share.

Thanks for this information. I posted a thread about whether visiting dominican salons regularly is okay for our hair!

melodee said:
Sexyaqr, Where did you get the wash and set, if you don't mind a fellow MDer asking?

It was at Francis Beauty Salon on Highland Ave. The lady also recommended something for my thinning left side but I can't remember the name because it was in Spanish and I wanna see if it really works first.

Back