Dominican Salons vs African-American Salons

~Nigeria~

What's up with so many people talking about Dominican Salons all the time? I've been to both types and I dont see what's so special about the Domican Salons. I prefer African-American Salons. They understand "our" hair more. And through my experiences, my hair always comes out better when I go to African-American Salons. Which do you prefer?

qtgirl

I prefer Dom. Salons. I don't feel that AA salons understand our hair better because a lot of Dom. salons have "our" type of hair as well. I know a lot of ppl. talk about D.Salons using a lot of heat, but in total I believe that AA salons use more heat. The only heat tool at the DS is the hood dryer and the blow dryer vs. hood dryer/bloww dryer/curling iron/flat iron.

mscounselor

I have had bad experiences at both so I can't say which is better. Both stylists had hair that was originally like mine and alter it for manageability. They both didn't listen when I told them what I wanted. I think it all depends on the individual and not necessarily the shops themselves.

~Nigeria~

qtgirl said:
I prefer Dom. Salons. I don't feel that AA salons understand our hair better because a lot of Dom. salons have "our" type of hair as well. I know a lot of ppl. talk about D.Salons using a lot of heat, but in total I believe that AA salons use more heat. The only heat tool at the DS is the hood dryer and the blow dryer vs. hood dryer/bloww dryer/curling iron/flat iron.

The African-American Salon I currently go to just uses the hooded dryer, then adds oil moisturizers, and wraps my hair (which is what I usually get)- and it comes out as straight as if I had used a flat iron, maybe even straighter. But the one I went to before that used the hooded dryer, and a flat iron. I guess it depends on the salon you go to.

sylver2

qtgirl said:

DITTO!!!!!

~Nigeria~

mscounselor said:
I have had bad experiences at both so I can't say which is better. Both stylists had hair that was originally like mine and alter it for manageability. They both didn't listen when I told them what I wanted. I think it all depends on the individual and not necessarily the shops themselves.

I've had bad experieces at both also. And you're right, none of them ever listen and are stuck in the way "they" do hair. But my hair always seems to dry out faster when I go to DS. The AA salons I go to always apply a complimantary leave-in and moisturizing oils. My hair stays soft forever.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I think the difference is that Dom. Salons allow you to leave out w/free flowing silky shiney hair, and when you run your fingers through it you don't have a bunch of oils and crap on your fingers, "MOST" AA Salons tend to style your hair, chop your hair and you leave w/it spritzed, fried, dyed and layed to the side, LOL, then a year or so down the road of attending that same salon your hair hasn't moved past the length you came with. Unfortunately, Health Hair is not apart of "SOME" of AA salons vocabulary, Not All But Some, the just make your hair look nice. Now there are a plenty of AA Salons out their that do target healthy hair and love to grow pple hair out, but it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg for it, it should be apart of the whole styling process. That's another thing I noticed, when you find an AA Salon that is into healthy hair and growwing it out, they hike the price up and charge sooooo much more, and add on consultation fees etc., that's part of the service to check the condition of the hair and scalp b4 proceeding to wash and style. In the end it's all about where you prefer to go and if that salon, no matter if it's AA or Dom. Salon, is giving you what your looking for.

caligirl

My experience at Dominican salons is that they are used to dealing with all textures of hair. The stylists all seem really friendly, calling me "mommy" and "honey" which makes me feel at home. And they are really into long hair, so they are not scissor happy. I have never seen more black women with long hair than at the dominican salon.

~Nigeria~

caligirl said:
My experience at Dominican salons is that they are used to dealing with all textures of hair. The stylists all seem really friendly, calling me "mommy" and "honey" which makes me feel at home. And they are really into long hair, so they are not scissor happy. I have never seen more black women with long hair than at the dominican salon.

The AA salon I go to, it seems like everybody has long hair except me. It's one of those types that encourages and promotes healthy, long hair like BeautifulWideEyes mentioned. They do charge a little more though which is true. I pay $35 for a wash and rollerset. My sylist is not scissor happy at all. Her trims come out exactly how I want them to be- and I'm so anal about getting trims.

FlyyGyrl

Personally I like Haitian salons the best. Dominican salons are known for Dominican blow outs, which ALWAYS entail lots of heat. If you are trying to stretch your relaxer and you want a straight look for a while then thats the way to go. I don't allow them to do any other services to my hair anymore though. I am anti-salon in general. I figure y not save myself the headache and tears and just do it myself. Sometimes when I am in NY I go see my Haitian stylist though, she always takes good care of me.

sylver2

FlyyGyrl said:
Personally I like Haitian salons the best. Dominican salons are known for Dominican blow outs, which ALWAYS entail lots of heat. If you are trying to stretch your relaxer and you want a straight look for a while then thats the way to go. I don't allow them to do any other services to my hair anymore though. I am anti-salon in general. I figure y not save myself the headache and tears and just do it myself. Sometimes when I am in NY I go see my Haitian stylist though, she always takes good care of me.

I also use to frequent Haitian Salons. My favorite was Soles in Long Island
$13 for a wash n' set
$30 for a touchup

Last edited:

Divine Inspiration

My favorite stylist is MYSELF...and I happen to be African-American. :look: I'm DONE with the salons for a good, looooooooooong time...I'll have to be desperate to step foot in another one.

brownsugar9999

Divine Inspiration said:
My favorite stylist is MYSELF...and I happen to be African-American. :look: I'm DONE with the salons for a good, looooooooooong time...I'll have to be desperate to step foot in another one.
Hear Hear!!! I agree. Haven't been to a salon since 1989, and I'm not about to start!! If I screw up, I can only blame myself...no appt times.no tipping....

ibm girl

From what I've seen on this board so far (newbie alert), I think it's pretty clear that there are many stylists, good and bad, and it's a matter of finding the person you are most comfortable with, regardless of their backgrounds.

I used to believe that black stylists had to get the best results, but I was dead wrong. My favorite stylist, in all my travels has been a sweet southern man who just happens to be white. He insisted on roller sets, trimmed only when needed and I never had drama with appointments or waiting for ungodly amounts of time before he got to me. It never took longer than two hours from me walking in until walking out. I wish I could have packed me up when I moved away! Af-am, Dominican, Haitian, white...just takes a lot of trial and in my case...lots and lots of error before finding the perfect match.

~Nigeria~

ibm girl said:
From what I've seen on this board so far (newbie alert), I think it's pretty clear that there are many stylists, good and bad, and it's a matter of finding the person you are most comfortable with, regardless of their backgrounds.

I used to believe that black stylists had to get the best results, but I was dead wrong. My favorite stylist, in all my travels has been a sweet southern man who just happens to be white. He insisted on roller sets, trimmed only when needed and I never had drama with appointments or waiting for ungodly amounts of time before he got to me. It never took longer than two hours from me walking in until walking out. I wish I could have packed me up when I moved away! Af-am, Dominican, Haitian, white...just takes a lot of trial and in my case...lots and lots of error before finding the perfect match.

I don't believe African-American stylist/salons are better than any other stylist/salons. My hair does comes out better when I go to African-American salons though. I've only been to Dominican salons and African-American salons so that's all I know. And through my experiences, I prefer African-American salons. Who knows that might change later on :).

Dogmd

After sticking with AA salons for 20 years, i decided to try a dominican salon in atlanta while visiting my family.... BEST HAIR EVER!!! Now to try an replicate that in LA!!!

qtgirl

I agree with this, I like my hair to flow and blow in the wind and not be greasy to the touch. I have only once been to an AA salon that did that and yes they did charge an arm and a leg, I got a touch-up/blow-dry/flatiron for $115! :eek:

But like a lot of ppl. said I will not stereotype because I'm sure there are bad Dominican Salons, but for the most part I LOVE THEM!

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I think the difference is that Dom. Salons allow you to leave out w/free flowing silky shiney hair, and when you run your fingers through it you don't have a bunch of oils and crap on your fingers, "MOST" AA Salons tend to style your hair, chop your hair and you leave w/it spritzed, fried, dyed and layed to the side, LOL, then a year or so down the road of attending that same salon your hair hasn't moved past the length you came with. Unfortunately, Health Hair is not apart of "SOME" of AA salons vocabulary, Not All But Some, the just make your hair look nice. Now there are a plenty of AA Salons out their that do target healthy hair and love to grow pple hair out, but it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg for it, it should be apart of the whole styling process. That's another thing I noticed, when you find an AA Salon that is into healthy hair and growwing it out, they hike the price up and charge sooooo much more, and add on consultation fees etc., that's part of the service to check the condition of the hair and scalp b4 proceeding to wash and style. In the end it's all about where you prefer to go and if that salon, no matter if it's AA or Dom. Salon, is giving you what your looking for.

SandySea

I get my hair relaxed by an AA stylist at JCPenney's salon. She's been great with my hair, offers advice on hair care, and is trying to talk me into going natural because my hair is so fine. Also, she loves long hair and is not scissor happy (though we have had our battles about trimming). I've never had a dominican stylist, but after seeing what happened to the hair of one of my friends, I chose to stick with what I know. I think it depends less on the ethnicity of the stylist and more on their individual hair care practices.

Nope. Gimmie the AA salons anyday. I've been going to them all my life (several) and they've never done my hair wrong. I think I would be afraid to walk into a Dominican salon. What the *h-e* double-hockeysticks would they do to my hair? I've got color so I don't like alot of heat on my tresses. And I don't think it would be very cool if they are speaking spanish all around me. I'd get paranoid and think they were talking about me.:lol:

~Nigeria~

brownhaired_bonanza said:
...And I don't think it would be very cool if they are speaking spanish all around me. I'd get paranoid and think they were talking about me.:lol:

I'm the same way. I be like... "huh?" :confused:
LOL :lol:

Nice

FlyyGyrl said:

Who is your stylist in New York?

Britt

Hi Nigeria :wave:,
what AA salon do you go to in BK? Is there a particular stylist that you visit?

Thanks ;)

~Nigeria~

Britt said:
Hi Nigeria :wave:,
what AA salon do you go to in BK? Is there a particular stylist that you visit?

Thanks ;)

Hi Britt :wave:

I was born and raised in Brooklyn, Ny so that it what I claim, but I'm not living there right now. I'm currently in the military and we move around so much. Right now I'm living in Petersburg, VA so my current stylist is here in VA.

When I was living in Brooklyn (during high school), I was going to a Dominican salon.

Murphy's Salon on Sutter Ave between Williams and Hindsdale. It's located in East New York, right down the block from my house. They are pretty good though. I go there when I go home to visit some times. Sorry girl :sad:

Britt

~Nigeria~ said:
Hi Britt :wave:

I was born and raised in Brooklyn, Ny so that it what I claim, but I'm not living there right now. I'm currently in the military and we move around so much. Right now I'm living in Petersburg, VA so my current stylist is here in VA.

When I was living in Brooklyn (during high school), I was :)going to a Dominican salon.

Murphy's Salon on Sutter Ave between Williams and Hindsdale. It's located in East New York, right down the block from my house. They are pretty good though. I go there when I go home to visit some times. Sorry girl :sad:

Ohhhh, I see... thanks :), East New York isn't too far from me.