Dominicans and Manipulation

Rezgirl

My usual stylist is MIA so I headed over to the Dominican salon. Fairly decent products/selection, excellent relaxer and trim but TOO MUCH MANIPULATION. Argh - and I tried to comment on it but it's just part of their process I guess.

Sometimes they roll the rollers UPWARDS then take them down and blow it out in the opposite direction! So they have to work extra hard to disassemble the flip they created!I think rolling up is supposed to keep the root straighter or something?? Next time I asked for the rollers to be rolled down which she did and I said I wanted just the root blown out - if I get a roller set it shouldn't look like a flat iron - right??

My usual stylist has also commented that too much blow dryer changes the texture of the hair - like it becomes kinda limp or something. What do other low/no manipulation ladies think? Can this be avoided without doing the shirley temple curls? How much is too much - what if you go every 2 weeks? I mean my hair doesn't LOOK bad but I am so into low/no manipulation and protective styles that I shudder at the thought! Am I crazy?:ohwell:

Bella_Atl

I am Dominican and I don't do the Dominican hair salons. That hair dryer is the devil. And that pretty shiny swing is the deal that you'll pay for over time. It's ALOT of manipulation. Unfortunately when it comes to Dominican hair salons it pretty much it what it is. Rollerset w/ blowout. Rollerset w/o blowout or just blowout.

I'm not sure but when I roll down I can't fit my whole head under the dryer's hood. When I do the "mohawk roll" my head isn't as big and it fits pretty good. I'm not sure if that's why they always do it that way though.

Rezgirl

It just doesn't sit right with me! lol I mean I get compliments and it looks very nice but I'm just saying to myself that I'll pay for it later!! Ok, so I'm not crazy! I work with 2 females that don't do their own hair and go to this salon. Their hair is nice and looks healthy but doesn't ever reach past their shoulders. They look at me like I'm crazy with my bun and nose in the hair about the manipulation but they like that length when I take it down! :grin:

Taina

Sometimes they roll the rollers UPWARDS then take them down and blow it out in the opposite direction! So they have to work extra hard to disassemble the flip they created!I think rolling up is supposed to keep the root straighter or something??
They believe you'll spend less time in the dryer in that way.

I love dominican salons, i'm dominican myself and that's like the way the salons must be (personal experience and opinion). I don't think blow dryer can change your hair texture, i've using blow dryers every single week on dominican salons, for about 10 years!

ETA
Now i'm natural, but that's not because my hair was all messed up or anything, is just because i wanted to be natural.

Solitude

I use a variation of the Dominican method. Rolling up does help with tension, keeping the roller taunt. I use the roller-setting and saran wrap method, and roll some rollers backwards. I have not found it to be too much manipulation. If you want to keep some curl, all you have to do is tell them. At home, I've gotten skilled enough that I now skip the blowdryer.

It's not for everybody, though. If you do low mani and pro styles, then dom blowouts may not work for you, but it can be an effective method when done properly.