Don't Rely Upon People For Validation

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
An excellent sermon:

Published on Jun 4, 2016

Are you relying on what others say or don’t say for your value? Are you frustrated today because you don’t have the support from others around you?

One of the greatest lessons in life is to learn that your true value does not come from people; it comes from Almighty God. Yet many people today rely on the complements, encouragement and approval of others to feel good about themselves and stay motivated.

Paul said in Philippians 4:13, “I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency.” Let Joel show you who you are in Christ and how to go to Him for your value and self-worth. As you apply these biblical principles, not only will you live a more peaceful life, but your relationships will improve, too!

This is Message #691 "Don't Rely on People" by Joel Osteen. For more inspirational messages, visit https://www.JoelOsteen.com/Messages

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
It was so lovely. I know he gets lots of flack from the "hell and damnation-only" committee but this inspirational message is very biblical. People are not living their best lives often. Even our homilist tied into this somewhat. People either can't, don't have what it takes or refuse to respect you, inflicting desired harm so, don't rely upon them at all for your validation. You are wonderfully made!

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
It was so lovely. I know he gets lots of flack from the "hell and damnation-only" committee but this inspirational message is very biblical. People are not living their best lives often. Even our homilist tied into this somewhat. People either can't, don't have what it takes or refuse to respect you, inflicting desired harm so, don't rely upon them at all for your validation. You are wonderfully made!

Thanks for sharing. WONDERFUL stuff. :smile:

I find most of the content in his sermons to be quite biblical. As you say, the content is simply not "hell, fire, and damnation" . . . and it's on purpose that he's not that way. :smile:

I think Joel gets the following:

King James Bible John 10:10
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

and

King James Bible Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Jesus said himself that his very purpose for coming was that we have life and have it more abundantly. If you subtract monetary abundance (which some people seem to have such a problem with) from the concept of abundant living, and just focus on abundance of peace and love and faith and hope and calm and assurance . . . Joel's sermons are all over this type of abundance. I honestly don't know too many ministers/preachers who are all about helping to equip us to live an abundant life. And it's Jesus's very purpose, according to Jesus.

I think people that have a problem with Joel's focus on abundance (abundant hope, love, peace, means, etc.) think "That isn't what christianity is about." But why not? Because you want it to be MOSTLY/MAINLY about what? Even when he talks about material blessings, he talks about what it enables you to do for folks. I have never viewed him as a prosperity minister, of the likes of Creflo Dollar and lot.

IMO, God loves us and wants us to love others. He wants us in a good place. And, no, not to the exclusion of "good behavior," but that's moot to me because being in a good place doesn't necessitate being selfish or bad.

I see Joel teaching and preaching about thinking well and living well and doing well. Doesn't God want that for His children, so they can spread it? Makes perfect sense to me. People say Joel never says, "Don't do ____ and don't do ____." Not true! He just does so purposefully and without vilifying people about their shortcomings. For me, Joel makes christianity very empowering.