Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

aviddiva77

[USER=10150 said:
virtuenow[/USER];20390779]aviddiva77 I would suggest using a true organic oil. If you are left guessing whether the oil worked, then its not the right oil. Castor oil (organic cold pressed) is the absolute best. You should notice an immediate reaction in your hair. It's a humectant so it draws in moisture; which means all you need is a very tiny amount to pull in major moisture & softness (too much, and you get the countereffect). About 2 pea size drops should do it (let some water get in your hands as you apply). Its not really an extra "step" b/c its so short. You take a few drops of oil, add it to your hair, rinse w/very warm water and you're done. I don't know why you think you need heat, its not necessary (nor is it in the instructions). The heat from your rinsing is where the major action happens. If you have a quality oil you will see what I mean.

Interesting! I'll see if castor oil does a better job. and I use two pea size drops for my whole head?! Really?

I suggested me using heat because my hair seems to respond well to products when indirect heat is used (For instance my DC works wonders when heat is added vs no heat). Maybe I should heat the oil a little vs sitting under the dryer.

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
So I oil rinsed last night using the African Best Herbal Oil I use on my body. I didn't use any heat while oil rinsing. I thought I had broken my hooded dryer only to remember later that you have to pull the hood down for it to come on. It was 4 am, I was tired!

Pros:
*Keeps my hair moisturized/oiled. My hair soaks up oil/moisture. It was "saggy" but I don't mind because my hair will be dry quickly anyway lol.
*My hair for once didn't feel like straw after doing my heavy protein DC.
*The last detangling while twisting went easier
*It took 4 hours from pre-poo to finishing styling. Not too bad.
*I only slept for 6 hours and my hair is completely dry. This is twisted up hair in perm rods. That's amazing.
ETA:* I looked in my comb from my last detangling session and in my bathtub. LESS HAIR! YAAA! And my hair had been up in twists for 2 weeks.

Cons:
*Adding another step in my routine
* It was hard to tell if I was using too much oil. The water still in my hair made it difficult for me to figure out if all my strands received the oil.

Overall: I didn't see a decrease in SSK but I didn't see an increase either so I'm pleased.
My next wash I plan on blow drying and maybe flat ironing (my last time before I start my swim class on the 13th). I want to see if this makes that process easier. I'm also going to use heat and see if that makes a difference.

I think it's trial and error on oil and amount. I use a palm full of wheat germ. I cleanse first. Take a palm full of oil, apply. I actually apply an instant conditioner on top. It helps to absorb any excess oil and provides extra slip to my hair. I then rinse with warm (never cold or cool) water. While I consider it an extra step, it's a quick process. Maybe 5 mins max, if that. Try using some of the more popular oils - castor, evoo, wheat germ, etc. aviddiva77

hot_pepper96

Does anyone do a light shampoo after oil rinsing? I've oil rinse 3 times and each time I shampooed, applied safflower oil to hair, slapped conditioner on top and then rinsed under hot water. The first two times My hair felt so weighted down that I lightly shampooed again. This last time I just tried to rinse really well after applying conditioner on top of the oil. My hair felt really weighted down and it seemed like my leave-in serum couldn't sink in well. My hair felt a little sticky.

Anyone else lightly shampoos after oil rinsing?

divachyk

hot_pepper96, I don't shampoo afterwards. Is safflower a thick/heavy oil? Have you tried scaling back on the amount of oil or tried a lighter oil? I love wheat germ but that's a thicker oil. Maybe something light like grapeseed?

hot_pepper96

divachyk

Safflower Oil fits into the medium category of heaviness I think. It is the oil I use the most because it is awesome on my hair for sealing. I have a big bottle of Grapeseed oil already but I haven't used it in like 3 months because my hair seems to hate it...at least when it's dry. I reallt bought it to use with JBCO (which I discovered is too much for my sensitive scalp even when I dilute it) Maybe it will work on wet hair. I have Wheatgerm oil too but I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:

divachyk

I tried many oils before realizing my hair loves wheat germ hot_pepper96. I use maybe a quarter size up to a half dollar size for my entire head. I layer on some conditioner to absorb any excess oil. I rinse with warm to hot water and move forward with my regimen. Rinsing with cold water will not remove the oil from the hair but I'm sure you might already know that.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I was around when this thread was created and finally tried oil rinsing just yesterday. Despite overdoing it with the oil, my hair felt and looked great. I didn't see a huge improvement since my hair is already in good condition, but there was a difference. I noticed additional shine and my hair seems a little more moist than it usually is. I will continue to do this from now on.

Khaiya

For ladies not wanting to be greasy, or having no luck with oil rinsing, maybe try oil prepooing instead. It has worked WONDERS for me. I use sunflower oil, apply in sections to dry, unwashed hair, I leave it on overnight if I have time, if not I sit under the dryer for 10-20 mins. Then I wash and DC as usual. It works amazingly for me. I've also had great success with flaxseed oil.

Beany

I might get back into oil rinsing. I remember it did help with detangling and it'll help me use up some of these oils.

traceedeebee

I know this is an old thread but I'm going to try this. I haven't wanted to try anything new in a while. After reading all of the posts, I realize why my puff was crunchy over the summer. It was the olive oil.

traceedeebee

Did you have to rinse it?
I did. At the time I couldn't figure out what it was that made it feel that way. It wasnt like a gel crunch either. My hair just felt odd so I would rinse and cowash again. I remember leaving a little rinse out conditioner in my hair and I applied my oil mix with gel. My puff was fine afterwards. When I oil rinse, I think I'll start out with avocado, regular castor, or jojoba oil.

Mingus

I've been doing oil rinses for a while now. It does really help a lot. I use grapeseed oil. Although unlike the op, I do the rinse after I've co-washed my hair. I got the idea after having seen Naptural85 do her routine. I do the co-wash. Then I do a cold water or cold aloe vera juice rinse. Then I put the oil on my hair. After that I do another quick cold water rinse to remove some of the excess oil. Then I style as usual.

traceedeebee

I've been doing oil rinses for a while now. It does really help a lot. I use grapeseed oil. Although unlike the op, I do the rinse after I've co-washed my hair. I got the idea after having seen Naptural85 do her routine. I do the co-wash. Then I do a cold water or cold aloe vera juice rinse. Then I put the oil on my hair. After that I do another quick cold water rinse to remove some of the excess oil. Then I style as usual.
I need to check out Naptural85's videos again. I have a screenshot of the OP's method. If it doesn't work, I can try this method. I have some aloe vera juice in my refrigerator.
Coconut, olive oil, protein conditioner.
I have a large container of coconut oil. I may have to give it another try. I haven't used it in a year or so.
Will start doing an Oil Steams this Winter (on freshly cowashed hair).

Used naked EVOO last wash day.

Will also use Rice Bran Oil and Coconut Oil to do these.

Will try to do them without adding conditioner. And DC afterwards
An oil steam is where you apply oil to dry or wet hair and sit under a steamer? I need to research rice bran oil. I've never tried that one.

vevster

I need to check out Naptural85's videos again. I have a screenshot of the OP's method. If it doesn't work, I can try this method. I have some aloe vera juice in my refrigerator.

I have a large container of coconut oil. I may have to give it another try. I haven't used it in a year or so.

An oil steam is where you apply oil to dry or wet hair and sit under a steamer? I need to research rice bran oil. I've never tried that one.
This is the video I am following

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

@traceedeebee

Exactly:yep: This is my 2nd time doing it and I'm already hooked. :up:

I know several former members that use to do this on a regular, but I never caught on.

Now will continue this each wash day throughout the Winter Season.

:thankyou:Thank you for bumping this thread.

Aggie

I'd like that @IDareT'sHair, but I think that this thread should be kept alive for all the newbies so if the link can be posted in the original post as a reference for them, that would be great.

I would enjoy a mini oil rinse because girrrrrrl, I just did a castor oil pre-poo and my hair is so soft, I like it, I like it a lot.

Perhaps it can be combined as a mini pre-poo/oil rinse challenge. Let's see what everyone else has to say. Either way, I'm game.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@Aggie

Agreed!:up:

We will just go ahead and post here (keeping the thread alive) and using this thread as an unofficial oil-rinse challenge.

I am with you on that Sis.:hug2:

I just did a Steam with EVOO and my Detangling session should be a Breeze.

I will be using:
EVOO
EVCO
Rice Bran
Neem (funky:barf:)
Avocado
Sweet Almond

And On Occasion these Blends:
HV's Vatika Frosting
HV's Shikakai Oil
HV's Avosoya Oil
HV's Jardin Oil
AV's Shikakai Oil
HQS Coconut & Lime Oil

traceedeebee

@IDareT'sHair I don't mind doing a mini oil rinsing challenge. I would like to make this a normal step in my regimen. I also like @Aggie 's idea of linking the original thread. I believe I found it from one of the pinned threads. The concept is simple and easy to do. It's only as complicated as we choose to make it.