Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@traceedeebee

Again, thank you so much for bumping this Thread. :hug2:

I have no problem inbedding the "challenge" in this thread.

If fact, I already listed what I will be using and will be Oil-Steaming each Wash Day (Wed/Sat).

I think it's already helping me deal with SSKs and Tangles.

Last edited:

traceedeebee

@traceedeebee

Again, thank you so much for bumping this Thread. :hug2:

I have no problem inbedding the "challenge" in this thread.

If fact, I already listed what I will be using and will be Oil-Steaming each Wash Day (Wed/Sat).

I think it's already helping me deal with SSKs and Knots.
You're welcome! There's so much knowledge in the old threads. I'm not saying there isn't any in the new ones. With this one, I was able to see people use a method over years. Any issues were posted along with how to resolve those issues. Like most things it worked for some but not everyone.

I need the challenge because I'm in the grow it long challenge. I have to do something to keep those SSKs away. I can't wear crochet braids forever. It would be nice to not have to struggle while detangling my hair.

Aggie

@Aggie

Agreed!:up:

We will just go ahead and post here (keeping the thread alive) and using this thread as an unofficial oil-rinse challenge.

I am with you on that Sis.:hug2:

I just did a Steam with EVOO and my Detangling session should be a Breeze.

I will be using:
EVOO
EVCO
Rice Bran
Neem (funky:barf:)
Avocado
Sweet Almond

And On Occasion these Blends:
HV's Vatika Frosting
HV's Shikakai Oil
HV's Avosoya Oil
HV's Jardin Oil
AV's Shikakai Oil
HQS Coconut & Lime Oil

I like your oils @IDareT'sHair. Tell me, do you purchase these in gallon bottles or 16oz/liter sizes? A few of the oils below are multi-purpose oils for me. I need some to be used in my salon/spa business and some for personal use so I may need to get them in gallon sizes.

I have on hand:

EVOO
EVCO
JBCO but I don't want to use this as an oil rinse - so looking to buy the regular clear castor oil for oil rinsing and I want to mix it with
AMLA/BRAHMI Oil

I want to add:

Sweet Almond Oil (business and personal use)
Macadamia Nut Oil
Sunflower Oil
Avocado Oil (business and personal use)
Apricot Kernel Oil (business and personal use)
Bhringraj Oil
Rice Bran Oil because of it's great benefits for my skin (business and personal use)
Castor Oil (Clear)
Shea Oil for it's ultra violet protection of my hair and my skin
Wheat Germ Oil - this is on my maybe list - have to do some more research on it's benefits first)

Aggie

@traceedeebee

Bumping this was right on time for, me for Winter too.:up:

I am going on 15 months post relaxer and dealing with an all new situation regarding my Regimen.

So hopefully, these Oil Rinses will help me out and get me through the colder months.

Oooh @IDareT'sHair, are you transitioning? I am actually texlaxed but very very mildly.

I don't even think the relaxer worked the last time because I had so much stuff on my hair to prevent over-processing, plus I left it on for only 8 minutes I think, maybe less.

In addition, I only repeat this process once every 8-12 months and now thinking of just once a year.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@Aggie
I started off saying:nono2:..........:naughty: NOOOOOOOO Way Jose!:hand:

Now, I'm not so sure? :nono:

It's getting easier & easier to manage and I've been slowly snipping away at relaxed ends.

If you are 'mildy' texlaxing once a year leaving it on for 8 minutes, mixed with conditioner, oil, etc... chile.....you might as well be natural.:giggle:

I may become a Straight-Haired Natural. Still all up in the Air.

Aggie

@Aggie
I started off saying:nono2:..........:naughty: NOOOOOOOO Way Jose!:hand:

Now, I'm not so sure? :nono:

It's getting easier & easier to manage and I've been slowly snipping away at relaxed ends.

If you are 'mildy' texlaxing once a year leaving it on for 8 minutes, mixed with conditioner, oil, etc... chile.....you might as well be natural.:giggle:

I may become a Straight-Haired Natural. Still all up in the Air.
@IDareT'sHair,

:rofl: Girl you are too funny. I think at my age, allowing my natural texture to come in and stay with me this way has been one of the best decisions I've made for my hair.

A 'Straight haired natural' huh? Hmmm, I think that might just work for you.

I live in the tropics and this is one of the hardest things to do with all the humidity and everything every single day, even in the winter months. Oh wait, we have no winter months down here:giggle:.

traceedeebee

@traceedeebee

Bumping this was right on time for, me for Winter too.:up:

I am going on 15 months post relaxer and dealing with an all new situation regarding my Regimen.

So hopefully, these Oil Rinses will help me out and get me through the colder months.
15 months post?!?:eek: I made it 8 months post. I took down my braids and matted my hair. I had to big chop to 2.5 -2.75 inches of hair. I'm in awe of you. Congratulations on your long term transition! I do hope the oil rinses help. From what I've read, whatever combination works for you will help.
Oh my! :drunk:There's a gallon container of avocado oil for just under $25. I love avocado oil. It's my lotion. My eczema hasn't flared up in two years because I use it instead of lotion. My hair loves it too. There's also apricot kernel oil. I'm on my last 16 oz bottle. I need some more of that for when I start back making my cocoa butter body butter. Now, I need to see if they have cocoa butter and mango butter. I also needs clear castor oil.

Aggie

@IDareT'sHair,

I'm about to go and sign up on this site since they have the sizes I'm interested in.

I just went in that oil shelf life expiration date sticky only to find out that the shelf life of so many oils is so short - sooooo, I can't purchase the gallon sizes anymore.

That sucks since the bulk prices are so good at www.bulkapothecary.com. I think the shipping costs are ridiculous though.

Aggie

@IDareT'sHair,

I'm about to go and sign up on this site since they have the sizes I'm interested in.

I just went in that oil shelf life expiration date sticky only to find out that the shelf life of so many oils is so short - sooooo, I can't purchase the gallon sizes anymore.

That sucks since the bulk prices are so good at www.bulkapothecary.com. I think the shipping costs are ridiculous though.

Okay I did the math on bulkapothecary.com and realized that they have more of the oils I want than Pipingrock.com and the shipping cost was a little more than doubled but because the former merchant has all I'm looking for, I will have to go with them. Bummer!

But when I compared the prices with what they shared in common, I found bulkapothecary to be slightly cheaper but there was a big difference in the cost of the argan oil. It is less than half the cost on BA than PR so with the shipping cost, it will actually even out cost wise.

Aggie

15 months post?!?:eek: I made it 8 months post. I took down my braids and matted my hair. I had to big chop to 2.5 -2.75 inches of hair. I'm in awe of you. Congratulations on your long term transition! I do hope the oil rinses help. From what I've read, whatever combination works for you will help.

Oh my! :drunk:There's a gallon container of avocado oil for just under $25. I love avocado oil. It's my lotion. My eczema hasn't flared up in two years because I use it instead of lotion. My hair loves it too. There's also apricot kernel oil. I'm on my last 16 oz bottle. I need some more of that for when I start back making my cocoa butter body butter. Now, I need to see if they have cocoa butter and mango butter. I also needs clear castor oil.
@traceedeebee, I think that's half a gallon you were looking at as I didn't see a gallon sized bottle there. Check it again.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Please keep in mind the "Shelf Lives" of various oils.

They do and will go 'rancid' on you.:barf:

Oh, and I forgot I have:
Mustard Seed
Garlic

And a couple other oils that I may think about steaming in.

traceedeebee

@IDareT'sHair Thanks for reminding us about shelf life. I've never had an oil long enough to go rancid. My thirsty skin drinks up most of my oils. :alcoholic:

While running my errands, I quickly got some starter oil from the Vitamin Shoppe.
I'll be making a mix out of the following:
  • Castor oil(new)
  • Avocado oil(favorite)
  • Safflower oil(new)
  • Argon oil (need to stop treating this like gold and use up before it goes rancid)
  • Apricot kernel oil(favorite and excellent oil to dilute the thicker ones)

Aggie

Forgot to add that I'll be adding:

Argan Oil
Vitamin E Oil - for my skin
Evening Primrose Oil - for my skin
Palm Oil
Pumpkin Seed Oil
Meadowfoam Seed Oil
MCT Oil for dietary reasons
Hempseed Oil to add to some of my deep conditioners, most likely the Mizani Moisturefuse Conditioner.

I was going to order a few by the gallon but since most oils have such a relatively short shelf life, I'll only order them by the 16oz bottle instead except the argan oil, vitamin E and evening primrose oils - which will be smaller.

Last edited:

Ajna

Thanks for bringing this thread back lots of good stuff in here.
I have gotten away from oil rinsing per say and instead I tend to add this oil mix after I condition and then rinse it out. With winter though I may get more benefit from a full on oil rinse at least twice a month...

For my oil mix I use
JBCO (1 oz)
Avocado (2 oz)
Calendula (1 oz)
Vitamin E - maybe a teaspoon
infused EVOO/Jojoba with burdock root (2 oz)