Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

sareca

Okay I just tried this and it works wonders! I will be doing this for now on

:yay: It's so simple you wouldn't think it would make that much difference.

Kudos to everybody already doing it. Keep it up. My hair freaked out when I stopped. :freakout:

Last edited:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Sareca, I don't know which makes you happier-- finding this awesome technique or sharing it with the board!! Thanks, I never would've thought of this and stretch time is coming soon.

sareca

Sareca, I don't know which makes you happier-- finding this awesome technique or sharing it with the board!! Thanks, I never would've thought of this and stretch time is coming soon.

sharing... hands down. :woohoo:

fluffylocks

I did this once by mistake

I didnt feel like doing a hot oil treatment (which my hair loves), so i took some warm oil in a bowl and poured it over my hair after i shampood

My hair instantly felt like silk, it was so crazy to me ( i still dont get it), i didnt have to moisturize that much or anything and it was shiney!---i thought the detnagling thing was in my head

Im def. gonna start doing this as part of my regimen, thanks for posting & giving a description on how to do it!:yep:

sareca

I did this once by mistake

I didnt feel like doing a hot oil treatment (which my hair loves), so i took some warm oil in a bowl and poured it over my hair after i shampood

My hair instantly felt like silk, it was so crazy to me ( i still dont get it), i didnt have to moisturize that much or anything and it was shiney!---i thought the detangling thing was in my head

Im def. gonna start doing this as part of my regimen, thanks for posting & giving a description on how to do it!:yep:

Nope it's real.

**WonderWoman**

Kudos to you sareca! And i've got to tell everyone to try this. Sareca used this oil-rinse to save my dried-out, fried looking hair after a henna treatment. :grin:

leleepop

I'm gonna try this on detangling day. I always do a prepoo with coconut oil, but I'm gonna add that extra step some olive oil. I detangle Tuesday and I will give yall my results.

Everything Zen

I tried it tonight. I like how my hair feels after I add conditioner. I just added a cheapie Suave but it felt really good not oily even though I felt like some of the oil was trapped in there. It felt very moisturized. I hope I didn't overdue afterwards by addind avocado butter and a little more oil. :look: I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning when I take my rollerset down. Either way, I really like the oil/conditioner combo. I like finding another use for oil besides just sealing the hair! :yep:

MrsQueeny

I am going to have to try this when I take my braids out. Maybe this is the thing I am searching for to deal with all this hair. Thanks Q

sunshinebeautiful

I also never thought about dominican rinses having oil in them. That's a good point.

I just put two and two together. I had been wondering what the purpose of dominican rinses were and now I see. I didn't realize they had oil in them. Cool, I might try one of those.

adw425

I do a version of this frequently, but my conditioner has oil or butter in them already. I have a gallon jug that I dump all my so-so conditioners in and my so-so oils or butters. I have to shake the jug first to make sure it is mixed well. I wet my hair, put in the conditioner-oil mix and let it stay in for a little while and rinse well. I do this as a co-wash about three times a week. I then spritz in a bit of leave-in (like Eqyss rehydrant, Ojon or Paul Mitchel awapuhi moisture mist) and seal with a bit of butter. However, when I do this, I wash a couple times a week -- Saturday (clarify) and Wednesday.

It works out well for me because I exercise 50 minutes M-F in our fitness center and, when I sweat in my head, it dries my hair out horribly, but these conditioner-oil washes/rinses help my hair not dry out so horribly after working out. Since I have lots of oils and lots of conditioner, I will try it separately soon to see if I get slightly different results.

sareca

Girl, you've got your regimen down cold! :clapping: Let us know if you see a difference using them separately.

Everything Zen

I think the verdict is in! Although my air dried roller set (due to a broken hooded dryer and not enough time) did not set as well as normal and I had to re-curl a quarter of it in the office bathroom a few minutes ago, I must say that my hair is VERY moisturized. It's like how your hair feels after the baggie method at the ends. It's not oily but it feels almost creamy or something to that effect. The only thing I'll keep an eye on is how quickly it gets/looks dirty with buildup. :yep:

sareca

I think the verdict is in! Although my air dried roller set (due to a broken hooded dryer and not enough time) did not set as well as normal and I had to re-curl a quarter of it in the office bathroom a few minutes ago, I must say that my hair is VERY moisturized. It's like how your hair feels after the baggie method at the ends. It's not oily but it feels almost creamy or something to that effect. The only thing I'll keep an eye on is how quickly it gets/looks dirty with buildup. :yep:

:yay: I'm glad you like it. Sorry 'bout your hair dryer. That stinks.

You've brought up one of the two pitfalls I could find. One is buildup. I've shampoo'd my hair twice in the last 10 days and I'd henna'd it in between so the runoff was red. My hair doesn't feel very dirty, but I do cowash every 2-3 days. The other pitfall that I could see is it weighing down the hair of folks with thinner hair. That seems like an easy one to overcome tho. Use a lighter oil and less of it.

Let us know if your hair starts to look dirty prematurely. :yep:

Anybody else test it last night? :look:

Last edited:

alexstin

I will be trying this in a few hours. I only wash every 2 weeks and I'm almost 3 months post. I was dreading wash day cause I already feel some matted areas. Will report back!:grin:

InnerSoul

Sareca,

I will definitely be trying this method very soon... with all the oils I have *LOL*.

thanks for sharing the method with us ladies!
*printing off sareca's method right away:grin:

Last edited:

Everything Zen

It did wonders for my new growth as I'm already ten weeks post with a ton of new growth thanks to Biotin, Nioxin, and Viviscal. :grin:
The olive oil was great but I already moisturize my skin with a bottle of safflower oil that I keep in the shower so maybe I'll try that next time. Hmmm I never thought of that until just now but using the safflower oil is kinda like an oil rinse for your entire body! Sweet~

Harmony0221

I most def want to try this.

Can you use a formula oil like Africa's Best that has a multipule or oils or is it better to use a single oil?

InnerSoul

I most def want to try this.

Can you use a formula oil like Africa's Best that has a multipule or oils or is it better to use a single oil?

I wouldn't think using multiple oils mattered... I am more than likely going to use more than one oil when I try the oil rinse. I say try it and see how that feels and if you don't like how your hair feels then try a single oil the next time. hth!

InnerSoul

I'm going to try this with my next wash. I hope that it works.

me too! because I am now starting a 4 month relaxer stretch and my new growth is a wonderful texture but I want it to remain soft so that I can stretch even longer:look:... I may be heading for a 6 month stretch before long:grin:

Meli

I just did this last night on my natural hair....I soaked my dry hair and scalp in Vatika Oil (has coconut oil, amla henna, lemon) and Dabur Amla Oil (cause I was running out of the Vatika). Tied my hair down and kept it in overnight. Rinsed my hair out with hot water this morning....and I will definitely be doing this weekly. My hair feels moisturized and does not feel oily. I just did an oil rinse and go...Tonight I'll do another prepoo, this time with Motions CPR, wash with shikakai and deep condition.

The oil rinse will be a part of my staple. Thanks guys for the advice to do 2 oil rinses ---one before applying henna and after washing the henna out, cause I was experiencing dryness.

sareca

Oh! Did I tell you guys why hot water NOT cold? Cold water and oil makes a grayish-white film on my hair esp. after I put the conditioner on. (maybe it's just me). I also think the hot water opens up the cuticles a little bit so the oil gets in and that oiled/moisturized feeling stays even tho you rinse most of the oil away. :twocents:

ETA: Cold water to rinse the conditioner or as a final rinse is good. You just gotta use hot water to get that oil out.

Last edited:

sareca

I just did this last night on my natural hair....I soaked my dry hair and scalp in Vatika Oil (has coconut oil, amla henna, lemon) and Dabur Amla Oil (cause I was running out of the Vatika). Tied my hair down and kept it in overnight. Rinsed my hair out with hot water this morning....and I will definitely be doing this weekly. My hair feels moisturized and does not feel oily. I just did an oil rinse and go...Tonight I'll do another prepoo, this time with Motions CPR, wash with shikakai and deep condition.

The oil rinse will be a part of my staple. Thanks guys for the advice to do 2 oil rinses ---one before applying henna and after washing the henna out, cause I was experiencing dryness.

:happydance: I'm so happy it's working for ya. Using oil before and after means I only get the benefits of henna and none of the negatives... except the smell and the mess. :ohwell:

Thanks for pointing out the "hot" water part too.

Last edited:

Miss*Tress

Sareca, you had posted this tip in another thread last week I think. So I tried it then and it didn't do a thing for my hair. Do you saturate the hair with oil or just lightly, but thoroughly oil the hair? I'm desperate to resolve my chronic dryness.

ETA: Now that I've read the whole thread :blush: I see where you mention using two handfuls of oil, so I didn't use enough. Also, I only left the oil on for a few minutes. I'll try again this weekend for a longer time and report back.

Thanks, sareca. It's a great tip and I'm glad it's working for everyone.

Last edited:

Harmony0221

I wouldn't think using multiple oils mattered... I am more than likely going to use more than one oil when I try the oil rinse. I say try it and see how that feels and if you don't like how your hair feels then try a single oil the next time. hth!

Thanks. I will!