Dr.Bonner's Soaps...and making your own version...

iris

Dr.Bonner\'s Soaps...and making your own version...

Has anyone had any success in making their own version of Dr. Bronner's soaps? Yesterday was the first time I used this product. I used the peppermint brand to wash my hair and it did a fantastic job /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. As I looked at the ingredient list, I started to think I can make my own version. The ingredients for the peppermint are: <font color="red">water, saponified coconut-hemp-olive oils-(with retained glycerin), olive fatty acids, peppermint oil, rosemary extract.</font color> If anyone has made their own version, what ratio/proportion of ingredients listed did you use? Also, besides dr. bronners, can anyone name anther brand of castile soap? Thanks.

<font color="red">Iris</font color>

ART11

Re: Dr.Bonner\'s Soaps...and making your own version...

I don’t use the castile soap on my hair but I do have hundreds of other uses for it. I previously purchased the Dr. Bronners but now buy a generic version and provide my own additives. You can buy 64 oz @ $19.00 from www.fromnaturewithlove.com . They also have smaller quantities available, larger ones too. That is the size I am most familiar with. I use it to make diaper wipes and to soak cloth diapers mostly but you can always find a use for it. The ingredients are saponified oils of coconut &amp; olive, aloe vera gel and rosemary oil extract.

iris

Thank you Renee and Elyse for your replies.
My hair seems to love natural products and I think I'll become a 'kitchen chemist' and begin to make my own shampoos and conditioners. Thanks again /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Iris

LondonDiva

Iris

I take it you didn't find the Dr Bonner's drying to your hair. It left my hair way too dry. And I used the peppermint one too. How does it leave your hair feeling?

iris

LondonDiva, I found it not drying at all. As a matter of fact, I found it to be very moisturizing. I also loved the tingling feel my scalp experienced; felt like my pores were opened due to the peppermint. This is why I bought the peppermint version because after the shampoo, I used AO Rosemary and Sage rinse along with Twinlabs Na-PC, and I wanted the penetration due to the peppermint to help these ingredients to really seep in /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Then I conditioned with Tresmme remoisturizing conditioner(that conditioner is fabulous btw. The ingred. are: water, cetyl alcohol, cetrimonium chloride, glyceryl stearate, hydrolyzed collagen, ergocalciferol(vit.d2), corn oil, panthenol, hydrolyzed silk, sweet almond oil, polysorbate 20, disodium edta, dmdm hydantoin, fragrance]. Finally, I used Fantasia's triple-strength hair treatment leave-in along with their aloe creme polisher(the detangling process and slip was great!) and let my hair air-dry. My hair was toast!

OH, I forgot to add that <font color="red">I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE!</font color>They are so unique /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Just had to letcha know.
HTH,
Iris

Elyse

LondonDiva,

Did you dilute the Dr. Bronner's soap when you shampooed with it? I've never used it on my hair, but I dilute it when I shower with it. I would dilute it in a ratio of 1 part soap to 6 parts water, maybe more.

S

Silkylocks

The last time I used Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap I diluted while in the shower. I dripped a few drops on my scalp and then rinsed a little to spread it all over my hair (must note, this was before I knew NOT to shampoo the length). I liked the way it made my scalp feel also, and I didn't notice any dryness. I intend to try it again soon.

Quick question, do any of you here make your own conditioner? I'm really interested in mixing all of my own hair products. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LondonDiva

I did dilute the shampoo, but it did absolutely nothing for my hair at all. I got that tingling feeling in my scalp alright, but my hair didn't forgive me for the castille soap.

I used it on my face also and I noticed a scummy type soap film in the water and realised that it just wasn't going to work on either my skin or my hair.

LondonDiva

Iris

RE: my icons go to the OT board and I'll tell you where I get them from

daviine

Hey Elsye....don't you just love Dr. Bronner's as a body wash. I have yet to encounter another soap or body wash that can clean skin the way Dr. Bronners can without drying it out!

I'm always trying to get people to try it but they prefer mainstream soap. I love the way Dove smells, but nothing beats that Dr. B's clean!

Anyways..so I'm a little OT. Sorry. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

iris

Am I missing something here? The ingredients to the peppermint soap are: water, saponified coconut-hemp-olive oils-(with retained glycerin), olive fatty acids, peppermint oil, rosemary extract.Looks like all natural ingredients to me, so why are some of you diluting it?

<font color="blue">Wow LondonDiva</font color>, you experienced a "scummy" feel? This soap is the most pure that I have ever tried. Even purer than Ivory's claim of "99.44% pure."

<font color="blue">Davine</font color>, I have to agree with you. This was my first time using this product and I have yet to find a 'soap' if you can call it that, that works so well /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

<font color="blue">Sillylocks</font color>, As far as making my own leave-in conditioners, I use Tresemme or Clairol's Herbal Essences conditioner(the one for color/permed/dry/damaged hair. IT contains: water, cettearyl alcohol, cetyl esters, thyme, wheat germ oil, hydrolyzed wheat starch, hydrolyzed wheat protein, vitamin e in mountain spring water.), mixed with olive/castor oil and/or ORS Olive-Oil creme, and of course a little of Fantasia's hair polishers.

My hair feels so silky-smooth afterwards /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Being that it's the fall season and the weather is a bit cold here in NY, when I went outside with this mix on my head, it felt <font color="red">soooooooooooo silky smooth!</font color> Couldn't believe it! As if the wind was blowing silk billows through my hair. Now this is some New York story. One that I am certainly glad to tell /images/graemlins/grin.gif

HTH,
Iris

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Wow LondonDiva, you experienced a "scummy" feel? This soap is the most pure that I have ever tried. Even purer than Ivory's claim of "99.44% pure."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah the product that works for one and never worked for me syndrome. lol
Yep scummy film of water that most soap leave in the sink and on top of the water.

The only think can think of is maybe the water. The Londn water is supposedly hard water. Maybe it's more a water thing than the soap.

foxybrownsugar

ballet_bun said:
bumping .....
I just bought a soapmaking book 2 weeks ago from joann's craft and fabric store. Is there something specific you wanted to know about castille soap? The soapmaking process? Ingredients and/or ratio or ingredients? If its in my book i will be happy to look it up for you. Feel free to pm me if you want.

Cinnabuns

Trader Joe's has a castille soap with Peppermint oil added. It works like a dream for my hair. :)

ponytail2

Cinnabuns said:
Trader Joe's has a castille soap with Peppermint oil added. It works like a dream for my hair. :)

I also love this soap as shampoo. For the past three months, Trader Joe and the Kirks brand castille soaps are the only things I use to shampoo my kids hair.