Dr. Drew's Life Changers - Black Hair

naturalmanenyc

She is not a hair person and does not do hair tutorials but she has been natural for like 20 years. She definitely has had hair struggles which I think qualifies her to speak on topic.

Recent video of her natural hair: http://youtu.be/ojICUAdLr3k

LMAOOO. Right on time ironic
I guess the best revenge Is success.

ETA: but this is soo weird. She said it herself she's not a hair person. I mean does she even have tuts

MsLi@512

...with surprise guest Nikki Dior.

:lachen::lachen:

Kimgirl50

She is not a hair person and does not do hair tutorials but she has been natural for like 20 years. She definitely has had hair struggles which I think qualifies her to speak on topic.

Recent video of her natural hair: http://youtu.be/ojICUAdLr3k

Hmmm can I honestly say I'm scared tho.
She seems real. She seems very blunt. And anyone can speak on hair if they have it on their head I suppose but that's not really her niche. They're are some amazing hair bloggers with beautiful hair that I'd rather she get shine but (shrug) I'm happy she's getting this opportunity and I'll def be tuning in.

AmyRose92

You know what? I'm only asking myself 1 question. I don't see caucasian women talk bad or classify certain types of hair among them, so why should we??? Hair is just hair and we should all embrace what we have no matter what

Actually I have seen Caucasian women shun certain curlies. But since African American history (or any history where colonialism, slavery, etc. is involved) is marred by social stratification and this need to be accepted in society dominated by Caucasians, colorism and hair issues play a huge part in our culture, unfortunately. :ohwell: Hair isn't just hair for many cultures, and not just blacks. Hair has its own social identity attached to it.

LaughingOctopus

How do you all feel about the complexes of the black community being aired on television?

I'm noticing a trend. Tyra did several, Anderson did a show, and now Dr. Drew is back at it again.

Yay? Nay? I'm conflicted.

MizzBrown

I mean not Curly Nikki? I know not everyone is a fan but c'mon not Kimmaytube? He wants black women to duke it out and knows that some of the well known youtubers/bloggers won't fit the bill. smh.

Curly Nikki's credibility has been shot. There's threads about how she's been stealing folks commentary for use on her site. Other stuff too...

Can yall just wait til some folks get home from work on Tues to read the commentary before yall get the thread poofed? :lol:

empressri

How do you all feel about the complexes of the black community being aired on television?

I'm noticing a trend. Tyra did several, Anderson did a show, and now Dr. Drew is back at it again.

Yay? Nay? I'm conflicted.

I personally think they do it because of the drama aspect and they know that folks will be watching. It's all business. No matter the bullsh*t that ensues in the process, honestly.

DrC

You know what? I'm only asking myself 1 question. I don't see caucasian women talk bad or classify certain types of hair among them, so why should we??? Hair is just hair and we should all embrace what we have no matter what

I have. *blondes and brunettes*
There are dudes I've ran across who only date and respond to blondes. Sounds famiilar to the black men who only date light skinned/mixed women.

NaeChail

Curly Nikki's credibility has been shot. There's threads about how she's been stealing folks commentary for use on her site. Other stuff too...

Can yall just wait til some folks get home from work on Tues to read the commentary before yall get the thread poofed? :lol:

More on this shakiness of Nikki's cred? Please?

Sent from my pretty red Inspire, excuse the typos!

natural_one

This makes me mad... I swear Black women are becoming a side show..

His show is called Life Changers. Whose life is he going to change? and how? by giving them a relaxer or doing a BC? WTF??

This is just another thing being bought into mainstream that makes us look a little more "crazy".

princessnad

First of all, this is going to be terrible. I never liked her vid that everybody thought was "keeping it real". She sounded bitter, uninformed and ignorant.

And these vids certainly aren't impressing me with her hair.

I pray that the coonery remains to a minimum.
But you know it won't. It's going to be coonery times a hundred million trillion.

Why are we happy this is happening, again?

bludaydreamer

Personally I am glad Himay10ence (sic) is going to be on the show. She is one of the few women with natural hair who isn't all about it. Her hair is just a part of her life. If you can stand the cursing, she is very intelligent and often has great points. I believe she is going to add some diversity to the conversation. Honestly isn't that where we are trying to go - to a place when our hair is not what defines us.

Kim Coles - she is there because she went natural after watching youtube. She even has a channel talking about her natural hair journey.

Like it or not, hair is a big part of our identity and culture. Most of the black female youtube channels have something to do with hair. I am sure that this show is not going to be all sunshine and roses, but it is what it is. Maybe outsiders will think we are crazy or they will understand the significance of hair in our community.

Gin&Tonic

I have. *blondes and brunettes*
There are dudes I've ran across who only date and respond to blondes. Sounds famiilar to the black men who only date light skinned/mixed women.

Not the same. A bottle of color can fix the white girl problem. Our problems stem from white supremacy, generations of mistreatment and ridicule and some self hate. Black hair is unique to only black people so we were shamed for it. This issue should not be hashed out in front of whites. Why let them pop their collars at out expense ?