Dr. Drew's Life Changers - Black Hair

aminata

All I can say is what's wrong with a Florida Evans afro? This poor woman has some major psychological problems. Sad....

silenttullip

*starts singing* she thought she told ya'll she was gonna get famous she thought she told ya'll she was gonna get famous lol dr. drew was like I like your hair she said "...it aint mine..." lol ILH

30something

I'm not too sure HE went out and recruited HER:

But I could be wrong...

http://www.lctv.com/be-on-the-show/#Beauty

Oh no no no :perplexed:nono:. Don't tell me that this is another show about exploiting women insecurities just for ratings. When the Tyra show was over I was so happy...:ohwell:

Solitude

I may not agree with Himay's approach, but I think she is interesting and smart. She uses vulgarity and shock value...like most comedians.

I also think it is funny that people act like women with natural hair are supposed to be "sophisticated" or something :rolleyes:. Most people are not as classy as they think they are, anyway. For example, if you consistently call other black people coons or refer to parts of pop culture as "coonery," that comes off as rather classless IMO. I don't see how that is any less offensive than the comments that Himay makes.

Anyhow, Dr. Drew does not produce serious commentary. I don't know how "others" will perceive Himay, but any person who does not think that white women have hair issues should read Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey. They may not have the same experiences, but those aisles and aisles of beauty products are not purchased solely by black women.

jada1111

I may not agree with Himay's approach, but I think she is interesting and smart. She uses vulgarity and shock value...like most comedians.

I also think it is funny that people act like women with natural hair are supposed to be "sophisticated" or something :rolleyes:. Most people are not as classy as they think they are, anyway. For example, if you consistently call other black people coons or refer to parts of pop culture as "coonery," that comes off as rather classless IMO. I don't see how that is any less offensive than the comments that Himay makes.

:up: :up: :cheers:

cami88

Anyhow, Dr. Drew does not produce serious commentary. I don't know how "others" will perceive Himay, but any person who does not think that white women have hair issues should read Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey. They may not have the same experiences, but those aisles and aisles of beauty products are not purchased solely by black women.

I am one of the ones who has called highmaintenence classless--I didn't mean that the rest of us are sitting here sipping champagne and snacking on caviar. She seems to be vular just for the sake of it--then theres the teeth sucking and neck rolling. I just...don't understand. If you have a message you want to get out about a particular topic, why would you adulterate it in such a way to where people can't even get to the meat of your message because they are too put off by your filthy mouth and nasty attitude.

Southernbella.

On please :rolleyes:. Her schtick is absolute coonery, and I don't care one iota whether or not it makes me classless to say it. The bottom line is that her supposed intelligence or classiness or expertise on natural hair is hidden behind her vulgar hoodrat act. Cape for her all you want, but SHE put these vidoes out of her own free will. If she wanted to be seen as classy and intelligent, she would behave that way. Until then, I'll feel free to call her a bird.:yep:

Southernbella.

I am one of the ones who has called highmaintenence classless--I didn't mean that the rest of us are sitting here sipping champagne and snacking on caviar. She seems to be vular just for the sake of it--then theres the teeth sucking and neck rolling. I just...don't understand.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Yeah, what is that about? When did any of us ever purport to be sophisticated or UE?

Sweet_Ambrosia

I guess. I just wish it was from a hair advocacy position. Where are our representatives about black hair?

BUT looking from the actual clip, it seems there is a variety of opinions and not just hers.

No one can represent every natural haired woman in the world, they may try to but I represent myself.

I’m sure Himay10nence will have enough self-control and common sense to get her points across without cursing, she will be on national tv after all lol. I’m not trippin’ on what she will say or not cause it’s her opinions and her opinions alone, she’s free to voice them like anyone else. Himay10nence wont be the only one speaking about natural hair, she was sitting right next to Kim Coles I’m sure she’ll have something to say too as well as the other naturals in the audience, especially the woman that said if you’re natural and wear weaves or straighten you’re a sellout she was fired up. :lol:

longfroinghair

I happen to be a fan of himay10nance, I went to the first "Restoring self esteem in queens" conference in chicago with her and queennaturalbrauty from youtube also.
Yes she has a vulgar mouth but I forgot she even cursed because in person she didn't at all. I cant wait to see the show
Sent from my SGH-T849 using SGH-T849

I'm not surprised:rolleyes:
I think more People Need to Consider:
Youtube videos Aren't always how people act In Real Life!!!! :look:

Sometimes people can have a 'persona' to fit the theme of their channel, many youtubers will choose to do that.

LovelyNaps26

Curly Nikki's credibility has been shot. There's threads about how she's been stealing folks commentary for use on her site. Other stuff too...

Can yall just wait til some folks get home from work on Tues to read the commentary before yall get the thread poofed? :lol:

MizzBrown or anyone

Lank please?

can't say i'm surprised though. :look:

Cendra

What IS the appeal about train wrecks??? I don`t understand you people!!!

(Sets up an Outlook reminder to search for the video on YouTube on Tuesday night.) :pop:

In all seriousness, I think I can predict the outcome: Classy Kim talking about her journey and Himaywhoever biting her tongue to not cuss and defending her right to wear a wave. Sorry for the spoiler.

Cendra

I think the show has potential to be very informative however i have a feeling that it won't go in the direction it should/could by any stretch of the imagination :nono:

I agree. I think it might end up being a debate over natural (or relaxed) v.s. synthetic.

longfroinghair

How do you all feel about the complexes of the black community being aired on television?

I'm noticing a trend. Tyra did several, Anderson did a show, and now Dr. Drew is back at it again.

Yay? Nay? I'm conflicted.

I vote Yay
I think in the short term there are negatives. (Makes a spectacle of us, brings unecessary pity from non-blacks etc.)

But in the LONG TERM, it's good to air it out, get the issues out in the open. It'll spark a lot of curiosity (for blacks and non-blacks), and brings thought-provoking discussion. Even if we think certain 'good hair' movies/talk shows were ridiculous or a misrepresentation ....it really doesn't matter in the long run, cause it got people to start talking about the issue. And when you start talking about something, out loud, actively discussing it......that's when you start to see it for what it is.

Dominicanatural

You know what? I'm only asking myself 1 question. I don't see caucasian women talk bad or classify certain types of hair among them, so why should we??? Hair is just hair and we should all embrace what we have no matter what

You bring up a wonderful point! When's the last time you heard a Caucasian women say, yeah, I have 1a all over but some 1c in the crown? Does anyone who doesn't have afro-textured hair actually use Andre's hair typing system? Seems like there are other ways to "find products" without it.

ETA: Okay, now having read all the posts, I will say that though I think these conversations have value (by preaching that there is no "good hair" does not make the ideology go away), but I certainly don't think anything can be accomplished when the conversation's main purpose is for ratings. Himay's presence is a testament to what I expect will be a debate replete with outlier views.

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

You bring up a wonderful point! When's the last time you heard a Caucasian women say, yeah, I have 1a all over but some 1c in the crown? Does anyone who doesn't have afro-textured hair actually use Andre's hair typing system? Seems like there are other ways to "find products" without it.

They do on Naturally Curly:yep:...as well as LHC

My Friend

I tell people all the time "People on Youtube are not real" :nono:

It's scripted reality people. People stage things all the time :yep: Even the baby video's, they do it over and over or leave the camera rolling until they get it right.

It's a vehicle people used to get exposure for their pursuit of fame and fortune. Youtube should not be a guide for you to live by or to judge others. I'm surprised that so many people here believe what they see.

I take the hair growth video's with a grain of salt because I really don't know when they filmed it. Only people on Youtube seem to retain all the hair they grow :blush:

I look at Himay's video's like I'm watching an R Rated movie. Denzel did a lot of cursing in Training Day, he won an Oscar. Halle did a lot of cursing and fornicating in Monster Ball, she won an Oscar :yep:

Himay has proven she can win an Oscar :yep: she has all ya'll believing her character is real. That's what acting is all about.

Last edited:

andromeda

the fact that some people are defending her vulgarity by saying that she's probably not vulgar in real life is telling...and seems to weaken their own points. sort of like saying "it's ok that he chooses to walk around naked in public because he dresses in a civilized manner at home".

(and i say this as someone who can appreciate the value of vulgarity and profanity; and who doesn't necessarily view those things as indictments of himay)

personally, i see appreciating himay and her message/style on yt as separate from feeling somekindaway about her appearing on national tv and (possibly) playing into a sinister, exploitative trend for mainstream consumption.

EssenceOfBeauty

I have a hard time sifting through her message when every third word is a swear word. IMO, the swearing is very distracting and defeats the whole purpose.

longfroinghair

Why are Black people feeling compelled to discuss their own hair and color issues to White people?

Welllll......I dunno....Sometimes its good if its someone you trust. It's after talking to a white person that I realized I don't actually have to relax my hair, only if I want to. Majority of blacks around me where I grew up convinced me my natural hair is so unruly (cause I'm black) that I shouldn't even want to know what my natural hair looks like..... my white male friend told me that sounds ridiculous lol

Inviting another culture in sometimes could be a good thing, gives a fresh perspective.

My Friend

the fact that some people are defending her vulgarity by saying that she's probably not vulgar in real life is telling...and seems to weaken their own points. sort of like saying "it's ok that he chooses to walk around naked in public because he dresses in a civilized manner at home".

(and i say this as someone who can appreciate the value of vulgarity and profanity; and who doesn't necessarily view those things as indictments of himay)

personally, i see appreciating himay and her message/style on yt as separate from feeling somekindaway about her appearing on national tv and (possibly) playing into a sinister, exploitative trend for mainstream consumption.

No. It's like saying "I'm watching a movie". Think...Denzel, Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Eddie Griffen, Martin Lawrence, etc? I can not watch Training Day because of the character Denzel portrayed :nono:

I think the message is, Himay is not for everyone :nono: If you don't like her show change the channel.

I'm not here to defend Himay or LHCF's who don't like her show :nono:

I want people here to stop believing Youtube is real.

Last edited:

MizzBrown

Welllll......I dunno....Sometimes its good if its someone you trust. It's after talking to a white person that I realized I don't actually have to relax my hair, only if I want to. Majority of blacks around me where I grew up convinced me my natural hair is so unruly (cause I'm black) that I shouldn't even want to know what my natural hair looks like..... my white male friend told me that sounds ridiculous lol

Inviting another culture in sometimes could be a good thing, gives a fresh perspective.

But why does it seem to always take a white person to justify your stance in life or how you feel on a topic? You couldn't realize this on your own?

Every hair, skin color, etc thread someone compares our woes to white people to somehow justify things. Why bring them up? It aint about them. Their perspective aint always fresh either. I'd like to see more fresh perspectives from our own.

My Friend

I have a hard time sifting through her message when every third word is a swear word. IMO, the swearing is very distracting and defeats the whole purpose.

I don't think there is a message. It's a 3 minute Himay show. Why are we looking for messages, signs, guidance and leadership from a stranger on Youtube? Laugh :lachen: Cry :cry2: Get angry :deadhorse: and move on.

:orders: Himay Youtube channel should not be life changing for anyone here. It's acting people.