Dry 4c Hair After Blow-drying

WonderGirl2U

Hi ladies! I have 4c hair (I think), and I've recently grown it to almost APL using sewins. But I noticed the hair is thinner than I had hoped- I really love thick hair and as a child my hair was super thick even with relaxers.

One thing that bothers me (besides when my hair dresser combs it-combing is the devil for me because it causes breakage so I won't do it much in the future) is that when it's blow dried, it is SUPER DRY. It seems strange to me- but I always had relaxed hair that was soft after blow drying. Is this normal?

My hairdresser talked me into dying my hair darker with a semi-permanent black dye to cover my few grays, and I think that was a mistake because dye dries out hair. My hair does spring back into curls when wet so I don't think there is damage.

Anyway, has anyone experienced this? What can I do to get my hair to be moist and thick again? I hate the dryness and I miss when my hair was very thick. I don't care for long hair without thickness too.

Please help if you can!!!

faithVA

My hair is dry after I blow dry as well. However, I have had my hair blown dry (?) before getting extensions installed and my hair felt fabulous when she did it. So I'm guessing it is the products she used or maybe she just had a better blow dryer.

I would love to learn more as well.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
The last few times I've blow dried and flat ironed, I used a moisture only DC. Then I used aphogee green tea restrurizer and a non-protein/silicone heat protectant. Last, when I flat ironed (know you didn't ask) I used chi silk infusion. Never had an issue with dryness.

You probably need a better leave In prior to blow drying.

WonderGirl2U

Thanks ladies. I think my stylist tries to save time by drying it without product. I also think she's too rough with detangling and that has cost me some thickness :(!

Needless to say, I've learned that I need to learn how to do my own natural hair because no one is going to treat it as gently as I am.

sweethair

Thanks ladies. I think my stylist tries to save time by drying it without product. I also think she's too rough with detangling and that has cost me some thickness :(!

Needless to say, I've learned that I need to learn how to do my own natural hair because no one is going to treat it as gently as I am.

If that's the case stop going. I lost thickness and 3 inches of length from two bad stylist. My strands are very fine and the coils are very tight they were both rough with my hair.

Get a good deep conditioner I like joico moisture recovery mask and a good Leave in, It's a 10 is cool if you want to use for blowing out. Blow dry on med heat. I have high porsoity hair so i use a light protein monthly. But if your hair is dry i wouldnt do that until your moisture is back. Please don't let these "stylist" ripe your hair out and pay them to do it. There is only one stylist I trust with my hair but it very hard for me to get an appointment. Her client list is full. I'm going to wig it for a few months to allow my hair to recover.

The first time I got my hair done by the great stylist. The is after the two horrible stylist and I was able to get my to get another appointment with the great stylist 6 months later.

1491659111296.png

Last edited:

sweethair

Pretty! That left pic is where I want to get back to and maintain. How do you normally wear your natural hair?

Thanks! I was wigging it.
Low maintenance and washed 4-6 weeks. I pretty much was gentle with my hair. I like olive oil, and a good detangling conditioner as a pre poo. I have high porosity so I used acv/water or aloe in a spary bottle after I deep-conditioned it. I keep my hair in twist 98% of the time on wash day. Also looked to Dephane madyara on youtube for products and hair maintenance.

Pregnancy helped I guess but she did my hair after my postpartum shedding. I was so depressed my hair was coming out in clumps for 4 months and took all my edges. She cut about 2 1/2 inches the first time she did my hair.

Last edited:

WonderGirl2U

Thanks! I was wigging it.
Low maintenance and washed 4-6 weeks. I pretty much was gentle with my hair. I like olive oil, and a good detangling conditioner as a pre poo. I have high porosity so I used acv/water or aloe in a spary bottle after I deep-conditioned it. I keep my hair in twist 98% of the time on wash day. Also looked to Dephane madyara on youtube for products and hair maintenance.

Pregnancy helped I guess but she did my hair after my postpartum shedding. I was so depressed my hair was coming out in clumps for 4 months and took all my edges. She cut about 2 1/2 inches the first time she did my hair.

How did you determine you have high porosity, and how does the acv and water/aloe help?

Thanks!

sweethair

How did you determine you have high porosity, and how does the acv and water/aloe help?

Thanks!
Fine strands tend to be high in porosity because it has less cutlicles then normal or thick strands. . My hair feels so soft when it's wet and takes in moisture easily but can't retain it. My hair tangles like crazy because my cutlicles are lifted. So i either do a rinse or put aloe in a spray bottle to close my cuticles to seal in the moisture. I also use it as a detangling spray. My hair love protein. I can use protein in my deep conditioner and my leave in. If I don't so these things my hair look dull, frizzy and feel dry.

LiLi

I get the best results when I air dry or dry under my bonnet dryer until it's about 80% dry and then blowdry on medium heat to finish. If I try to blowdry right away, my hair is very dry and has a stiff feeling to it.

Also, make sure you don't have any buildup. If I know I am going to blowdry, I chelate.

If you have hard water, that will affect the outcome as well. A water filter along with chelating will definitely help if that is the case.

beingofserenity

I used to have the same issue

I just blow dried my hair with super soft results.

I started with clean, conditioned hair.

I let it dry almost completely.

Added a serum for slip.

I used a Denman brush and small sections of hair. I started by straightening out the ends until the brush slid through with no resistance and worked my way up to the root. Almost exactly like the Reniece method.

My ends come out smooth and straight and my hair is soft.

MizzBFly

I used to have the same issue

I just blow dried my hair with super soft results.

I started with clean, conditioned hair.

I let it dry almost completely.

Added a serum for slip.

I used a Denman brush and small sections of hair. I started by straightening out the ends until the brush slid through with no resistance and worked my way up to the root. Almost exactly like the Reniece method.

My ends come out smooth and straight and my hair is soft.
Thanks for posting- what type of brush do you use?

momi

Moisture should be infused prior to any heat-styling. I'd suggest a good pre-poo or deep conditioning with steam prior to applying any heat. Also DE's Agave blow dry leave in is awesome and really helps to seal in moisture.

Prior to flat ironing my hair yesterday I prepped with a Moroccan hair mask I found at TJ Maxx, then shampooed and applied an instant conditioner. By the time I finished blow-drying my hair felt like silk.

MizzBFly

Denman. You can use a roundbrush after to style in lieu of flatironing because your hair gets very straight doing this.
I bought the denman 9 row last year and removed some rows per suggestion. When used it sounds and feels disastrous to my ends (I know I’m not used to these brushes) but the tangles take alot of brushing to remove. I’ve used my boar brush when so used to flat iron as texlaxed and it did a better job than the comb chase (comb always got stuck)

ETA... after a Sahara dry results after a blow dry attempt. I used a moisturizer with my boar brush to smooth and set on flexi rods. My ends are a lot smoother.

ETA- I also did a henna gloss prior to this blow dry session which probably made the dryness seem worse than not. My last blow dry was Nov. 2016

Last edited:

icsonia22

My hair used to be super dry after blow drying but i found that blow drying soaking wet hair makes a HUGE difference. I use the chi silk infusion serum, heat protectant and a water bottle to fully saturate my hair until it's dripping wet. Then i blow dry on high and my hair feels soft and moisturized.