Dry/brittle Hair From Oils Anyone Else?

Sheabutterboy

Anyone else experiences dry/brittle hair from applying oils, even if done with applying water first, they make my hair dry/brittle

Oils I have tried
Avocado oil-dry/brittle
coconut oil- dry/brittle
olive oil- dry/brittle
sesame seed oil- dry/brittle
palm kernel oil-dry/brittle
grapeseed oil-dry/brittle
almond oil-dry/brittle
shea oil- dry/brittle
jojoba oil- dry/brittle
palm oil-somewhat works.

castor oil seems to be the only one that works, I know oils aren't moisturizers, remember I said even after I spray water the minute they touch my hair dry/brittle. Anyone else experience this? I whip my shea butter by itself with a little bit of castor oil, any more oil quantity and I have to throw it away.

Sheabutterboy

Yeah I stay away from applying oil to my hair. Conditioners with oils in them seem to work fine for me, but water plus oil or conditioner then oil...none of it leaves me happy with my hair.

Nice to find someone else with a similar issue, I have often been curious as to why this happens. I noticed that oils in moisturizers/ conditioners don't really bother me too. however water then oil is just the worst. I find that even with castor oil if I were to moisturize with water and then shea butter my hair is fine, but if I were to moisturize with water, castor oil, and shea butter, it would dry out quicker(dry/brittle feeling). I have been curious as to why because a looooot of naturals tout great benefits of oils and how it makes their hair soft/seals in moisture. The minute it touches my hair, dry/brittle.

We need to swap tips perhaps similar things might work for us.

CurliDiva

Sounds like using just water and sealing with an oil does not work for you.

Are you using warm water?

Allowing enough time for the water to penetrate your strands before adding the oil?

Have you tried a Shea butter blend instead straight oils?

Have you tried the LCO method? Water, then cream, and finally a light oil.

Are you deep conditioning regularly?

Your hair may just need products with more added emollients.

Good luck!

CurlyWhoCrux

@Sheabutterboy

What are your hair characteristics?

I have coarse strands that are low porosity which I think is the reason my hair responds that way. Those are both stubborn characteristics in their own way. Combined they are even more so.

I will say the last time I did anything with just straight oil, my hair’s health was not where it is now; it was worse. I’ve been consistently moisturizing and sealing, and incorporating more protein into my routine and overall the state of my hair is way better. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

I also want to add that oil doesn’t leave my hair brittle, but the dryness, yes.

Sheabutterboy

High density, fine strands-medium to low porosity I believe, hmm I couldn't say why though I doubt its due to lack of health as my hair is healthy/ retaining length atm. Its been that way for me since day one. i use rice water ever two weeks, hair is in twists 99 percent of the time, comb once a month, no heat, protein every two weeks, typical stuff

MilkChocolateOne

It's not just you. My daughter's hair doesn't respond well to oils as sealants. They make her hair dry, stiff and dull. She can use products that contains oils. She has fine strands, high density, low porosity hair. She has type 3c/4a cottony strands. I use leave in conditioners, moisturizing lotions and creams in her hair. Her hair is moisturized, healthy and retaining length without the use of oils. My daughter's hair looks similar to Kimberly Rowe on youtube.

water_n_oil

My hair only reacts this way when I use too much (or coconut oil by itself) but for some people "too much" is going to be any amount at all. Try leaving them out of your regimen and sticking with creams.

NaturalEnigma

Avocado oil-dry/brittle
coconut oil- dry/brittle
olive oil- dry/brittle
sesame seed oil- dry/brittle
palm kernel oil-dry/brittle
grapeseed oil-dry/brittle
almond oil-dry/brittle
shea oil- dry/brittle
jojoba oil- dry/brittle
palm oil-somewhat works.

Maybe its the oils you're using. I have high porosity hair with fine strands and all the oils I bolded make my hair dry and hard. I haven't tried the others. The oils that my hair likes are peach kernel oil, argan oil, and black seed oil. I only use it to seal over a moisturizer or leave in.

faithVA

I used oil for the last time January 11th and my hair has turned for the better. Shampoo, conditioner and gel or a leave in and foam are enough.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I learned recently that I can’t use only oils. I have to use a leave in underneath. Hair seems to love castor oil.

classychic1908

Castor oil is the only oil I can use. I can use shea and cocoa butter whips, but in general oils leave my hair frizzy and dry.

classychic1908

Castor oil, aloe vera juice, and glycerin are the most common. I don't use this often though, because it interferes with the gel hold for my wash n go.

snoop

My hair is normal porosity (maybe normal-high). Fine/medium strands.

My hair gets hard with coconut oil and shea butter. The only way shea butter kinda works for me is to drown it with oils.

Broccoli seed oil has been my go-to oil for softening my hair.

silenttullip

For me, extra virgin olive oil doesn't but it's dependent upon brand. I use pompian i think it's called.

Now grapeseed oil loves my body but wrecks my ends like actually creating ssk even after a fresh trim. This happened a few days ago oooo i was upset but I'm familiar with oils doings this. Even some glorified gels like ecostyler cause ssk or brittleness

Evolving78

All those oils you listed Dry my hair out, since they don’t have a high fat content, especially grape seed oil. I like Kemi Oyl and commercial oil sprays that come in a pump bottle, light serums, or other oil combinations that I can purchase. I do like pumpkin seed oil.