Dry, Porous hair, Please help!!

tuffCOOKiE

I dont know what to do ladies. I'm on the verge of tears. In the last two weeks, I don't know what has been happening but my hair is completely porous. It holds no water at all.

I've always had a problem with dryness.

Backstory- I had a weave in for two weeks, took it out and clarified and deep conditioned my hair. Two days later, I did an ACV rinse and then did a Avocado with mashed up banana treatment :nono: Two days after that I did a cowash. All those times, I noticed that my hair would dry immediately. Like 15 min after I stepped out the shower my hair was dry.

NOW I'm here under my heat cap. I just:

Pree poo'd w Silicon mix
Washed with Giovanni Shampoo
Conditioned w Redken Control deep condish

When I took off my heatcap, my hair was rough. I rinsed it out and my hair is STILL ROUGH. Lieterally, no softness to it, nothing. Its a little tangled.
I rinsed out the Redken and did an ACV rinse (1 cup ACV 2 quarts water) and now I have Porosity control and Silicon Mix under my heat cap.

Ladies.. I have not a clue what to do. My hair has never felt like this an I'm scared. I'm seriously crying. My hair feels dry, tangled and rough after a deep condition!!
What to do! PLEASE HELP. I have an interview on Tuesday...

I have 4 something relaxed hair, am about 11 weeks post (I usually stretch this long) :perplexed

I'm so sad.

JustKiya

Oh, wow, that's horrible!!! I don't know what to tell you - have you tried adding honey to anything? I really don't know what to tell you.... :( I hope you are able to figure something out!

TexturedTresses

i found this on the hair recipes.
its banana, avocada, egg, and olive oil. i added coconut milk to it as well.
do you think it might be the acv, i've read other women complaining that acv left their hair tangled. good luck.

tuffCOOKiE

:cry3:

I haven't been using excessive heat this whole year. I've blowdried my hair once at the dominican salon and once I did it on a cool setting!!

I do EVERYTHING for my hair and this is how it repays me. it ALWAYS DRY. ALWAYS. I can't baggie because as soon as I take the baggie off, my hair is DRY.

It's really a sad day. if this porosity/silicon mix doesnt work.. :nono:

hheeellllppppppp :cry3:

Neith

I'm unsure about the redken conditioner, but maybe try an INTENSELY moisturizing conditioner with less cones.

It also seems that a good protein treatment could help.

tuffCOOKiE

i found this on the hair recipes.
its banana, avocada, egg, and olive oil. i added coconut milk to it as well.
do you think it might be the acv, i've read other women complaining that acv left their hair tangled. good luck.

I tried that earlier last week sans coconut milk. It left my hair disgusting. I washed it out and there was still a coating on my hair.

Thank you for the suggestion!!

BostonMaria

Has this ever happened before?
Do you always use the ACV rinse to your hair?

I'm wondering if you have protein build-up or if maybe one of the products is giving you dry hair. I like Silicon Mix, but it does have mineral oil which can be drying. My hair doesn't mind mineral oil or protein, but I know that some people have had problems with this.

Good luck and try not to freak out. You might wanna reconsider the banana in your hair, some people have a hard time rinsing that out.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Have you tried the Pantene relaxed and natural mask? It always makes my dry hair feel like buttah. Maybe you can do an olive oil treatment for a few hours, that works for me as well.

Still thinking...

tuffCOOKiE

I'm unsure about the redken conditioner, but maybe try an INTENSELY moisturizing conditioner with less cones.

It also seems that a good protein treatment could help.

Well, in the last two weeks I also tried ORS Replenishing pak (I think I used it after the avocado fiasco last Tuesday.), I don't think that has cones- shouldnt they have been washed out after I washed today? and ACV'd?

I'm not sure about the Redken, as its a new product. Adimethecone is an ingredient but not one of the first ones.

Also, I forgot to add before the Redken, I did Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor and the day after I took out my weave I did Aubrey GPB.

Thank you for responding!

tuffCOOKiE

Has this ever happened before?
Do you always use the ACV rinse to your hair?

I'm wondering if you have protein build-up or if maybe one of the products is giving you dry hair. I like Silicon Mix, but it does have mineral oil which can be drying. My hair doesn't mind mineral oil or protein, but I know that some people have had problems with this.

Good luck and try not to freak out. You might wanna reconsider the banana in your hair, some people have a hard time rinsing that out.

No :cry3: this has never happened before. But no, I've never used ACV on my hair before taking down my weave. I used it as a clarifyer because I ran out of Suave Clarifying. do you think that may be it? I diluted the ACV so much!! and wouldn't it close my cuticle, not open it?

Also, yea, I'm not doing the avonana thing. I also tried that to soften my hair and did not work.

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING!!

tuffCOOKiE

I was going to get a relaxer this weekend. Is it ok to? I feel like nothing can be done that can damage it further.

fivetimestwo

Some good conditioners that usually transform my dry hair:

Herbal Essences Hello Hydration
Pantene R&N Mask
Paul Mitchell Supercharged Moisturizing conditioner
Porosity Control Conditioner

JustKiya

No :cry3: this has never happened before. But no, I've never used ACV on my hair before taking down my weave. I used it as a clarifyer because I ran out of Suave Clarifying. do you think that may be it? I diluted the ACV so much!! and wouldn't it close my cuticle, not open it?

Also, yea, I'm not doing the avonana thing. I also tried that to soften my hair and did not work.

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING!!

Ah! ACV is NOT a clarifyer! Not at all! It's a cleaner, but it will not cut through cone based product build-up, at ALL.

I'd go for either a proper clarifying shampoo, or (for tonight) add a little baking soda to your conditioner, leave in, and wash out.

When's the last time you've chelated?

The whole 'unable to get wet' thing makes me think you've got some wicked build-up that you need to get rid of. If you hair was super porous, it should be wet QUICKLY, and dry just as fast. The fact that it dries fast, but never feels wet - that sounds like classic build-up issues. Until you get rid of that, I don't think your hair will be able to absorb the moisture well, at all.

Lady Esquire

I dont know what to do ladies. I'm on the verge of tears. In the last two weeks, I don't know what has been happening but my hair is completely porous. It holds no water at all.

I've always had a problem with dryness.

Backstory- I had a weave in for two weeks, took it out and clarified and deep conditioned my hair. Two days later, I did an ACV rinse and then did a Avocado with mashed up banana treatment :nono: Two days after that I did a cowash. All those times, I noticed that my hair would dry immediately. Like 15 min after I stepped out the shower my hair was dry.

NOW I'm here under my heat cap. I just:

Pree poo'd w Silicon mix
Washed with Giovanni Shampoo
Conditioned w Redken Control deep condish

When I took off my heatcap, my hair was rough. I rinsed it out and my hair is STILL ROUGH. Lieterally, no softness to it, nothing. Its a little tangled.
I rinsed out the Redken and did an ACV rinse (1 cup ACV 2 quarts water) and now I have Porosity control and Silicon Mix under my heat cap.

Ladies.. I have not a clue what to do. My hair has never felt like this an I'm scared. I'm seriously crying. My hair feels dry, tangled and rough after a deep condition!!
What to do! PLEASE HELP. I have an interview on Tuesday...

I have 4 something relaxed hair, am about 11 weeks post (I usually stretch this long) :perplexed

I'm so sad.

I suspect it may the ACV.

Do you handle your hair in sections? If not, try parting it in 3-4 sections and shampoo, detangle, DC it in those seperate parts.

Try to clarify, shampoo w/a moisture shampoo, DC, then rinse with a Porosity Control or a Dominican rinse. Do this once a week for about a month.

Nonie

I'm at a loss as well, particularly because you're using too many products back to back so it'd be so hard to know what's working or worsening the situation.

I can answer on the ACV though. You are using way more ACV than I do. I use 1/4 cup in a bucket of water, which I'd say is about two gallons capacity. That is, 1/4 cup ACV in 8 quarts of water. Too much acidity can break down the protein in your hair so be careful.

AVE One

Do you handle your hair in sections? If not, try parting it in 3-4 sections and shampoo, detangle, DC it in those seperate parts.

Try to clarify, shampoo w/a moisture shampoo, DC, then rinse with a Porosity Control or a Dominican rinse. Do this once a week for about a month.

Lady Esquire, what is a Dominican Rinse?

tuffCOOKiE

Ah! ACV is NOT a clarifyer! Not at all! It's a cleaner, but it will not cut through cone based product build-up, at ALL.

I'd go for either a proper clarifying shampoo, or (for tonight) add a little baking soda to your conditioner, leave in, and wash out.

The whole 'unable to get wet' thing makes me think you've got some wicked build-up that you need to get rid of. If you hair was super porous, it should be wet QUICKLY, and dry just as fast. The fact that it dries fast, but never feels wet - that sounds like classic build-up issues. Until you get rid of that, I don't think your hair will be able to absorb the moisture well, at all.

whhaattt?? I'm so confused. I've read in so many places that it cleans your hair and scalp. UGH *** THIS. I'm SO ANGRY

I think im just going to wash my hair again. I have some Nexus Aloe Rid here but on the label it says it should be used after the Aloe Rid shampoo. I dont have the Aloe Rid Shampoo. Has anyone ever used Aloe Rid?? Do you use the instructions on the bottle??

I have no baking soda in the house. how would that help if I put it in my condish? It's used to clarify, right? I would do one and not the other, right?

See, it's not that my hair is 'unable to get wet' it's just that when it is wet, it feels dry because its so rough. You know how when your hair is wet, its alway softer than your hair dry? I mena, my wet hair is pliable, but its rough to the touch. like sandpaper

WE MIGHT BE ONTO SOMEHTING!!!

Lady Esquire

Lady Esquire, what is a Dominican Rinse?

It is a creamy substance used before or after DCing, to help detangle hair and lay the cuticle flat. Ever since I started alternating Dominican Rinses with Roux Porosity Control, my porous hair behaves. I rinse out my DC. I apply about the amount the size of a quarter dollar. Detangle with a shower comb (in sections) for about 30 secs to 1 min. Then I rinse (in sections).

I agree with the poster who said you're using too many products to narrow down the culprit.

Try using only one of everything in order to detect the real problem prod.

1) clarify
2) follow with moisture shampoo
3) DC
4) Rinse with a PC or Dom Rinse.

Remember to handle your hair in sections, from beginning to end.

tuffCOOKiE

I handle my hair in two front parts on either side of my head then one large back section.

I have a Dominican Rinse here but I dont think I have enough. It's like, residual Canela y Miel (Cinnamon and Honey) or something.

I wash may hair every week.. you you advise to clarify every week?

This is what I'm planning on doing:

Right now I have Porosity control in my hair w Silicon mix. I guess I'll rinse that out.

CON Shampoo

Aloe Rid Treatment

Condition with do I do a protein then, or a moisture?? either ORS mayo or the ORS replenishing pak w evoo depending ont he responses (ten min under heat cap on damp hair)

Porosity control (1 min in the shower on damp hair)

Lacio Lacio

Roller set

Let me know how this sounds, please!! THANK YOU!!!

tuffCOOKiE

I'm at a loss as well, particularly because you're using too many products back to back so it'd be so hard to know what's working or worsening the situation.

I can answer on the ACV though. You are using way more ACV than I do. I use 1/4 cup in a bucket of water, which I'd say is about two gallons capacity. That is, 1/4 cup ACV in 8 quarts of water. Too much acidity can break down the protein in your hair so be careful.

OMG-- my poor PROTEINS. Tell me, is it reversible?!?!? Is there anything that I can do!?!?

gymfreak336

It sounds like you don't have enough pure moisture in your regime.

Silicon mix is not a true moisturizer. You need something with more humectants. Real Control is a smoothing line which is little different than a moisturizing line.

My guess, you stripped your hair and you didn't replace your moisture stores yet. Instead your hair is recoated with products that are designed to seal what ever moisture is in your hair in but you don't have enough in your hair to seal.

Lady Esquire

I handle my hair in two front parts on either side of my head then one large back section.

I have a Dominican Rinse here but I dont think I have enough. It's like, residual Canela y Miel (Cinnamon and Honey) or something.

I wash may hair every week.. you you advise to clarify every week?

This is what I'm planning on doing:

Right now I have Porosity control in my hair w Silicon mix. I guess I'll rinse that out.

CON Shampoo

Aloe Rid Treatment

Condition with do I do a protein then, or a moisture?? either ORS mayo or the ORS replenishing pak w evoo depending ont he responses (ten min under heat cap on damp hair)

Porosity control (1 min in the shower on damp hair)

Lacio Lacio

Roller set

Let me know how this sounds, please!! THANK YOU!!!

Some people clarify weekly, others only when needed. I'm the latter.

I like to do a protein, then follow with a moisture. I usually protein as a prepoo. And DC with the moisture.

Today, I recommend just picking one of the two ORS products that you have (depending on what is going on with your hair).
If your hair is mushy = protein prod.
If your hair is brittle and hard = moisture prod.

Then rinse, and continue on.

Your line-up looks good.

Let us know how it turns out.

PinkPebbles

The whole 'unable to get wet' thing makes me think you've got some wicked build-up that you need to get rid of. If you hair was super porous, it should be wet QUICKLY, and dry just as fast. The fact that it dries fast, but never feels wet - that sounds like classic build-up issues. Until you get rid of that, I don't think your hair will be able to absorb the moisture well, at all.[/quote]

I agree with JustKiya! I think you are using too many products. Avocado is protein and that mashed banana is a no, no on alot of people's hair including mine.

I suggest you pick one shampoo that will chelate and clarify. One moisturizing deep conditioner. That way you can pin point the issue. Mixing different products all at once can do more harm than good.

Before you relax please use a chelating/clarifying shampoo to remove the build-up or your relaxer will not process. HTH.

Nonie

OMG-- my poor PROTEINS. Tell me, is it reversible?!?!? Is there anything that I can do!?!?

I do believe it's reversible. That's what reconstructors are for: to repair damage done to our hair. Just follow the advice you've been given here. Clarify, then start getting condition back in your hair. I have never used pure proteins; I always use reconstructors which are protein and moisture in one. I think they are gentler and less likely to make your hair hard. Also get a shower filter so that you're not undoing any of the good conditioning and smoothing of your strands w/ hard water. And don't be afraid of ACV. Just err on the side of caution and make it very dilute. Find one really good product in each category and use just that. Or think back to the last time your hair felt good and try to remember what you used then. Jumping on every PJ rave can wreck havoc on your hair, so KISS and things should start to get better.

Don't despair. People have done worse things to their hair and recovered, so you'll be OK. :kiss:

JustKiya

whhaattt?? I'm so confused. I've read in so many places that it cleans your hair and scalp. UGH *** THIS. I'm SO ANGRY

I think im just going to wash my hair again. I have some Nexus Aloe Rid here but on the label it says it should be used after the Aloe Rid shampoo. I dont have the Aloe Rid Shampoo. Has anyone ever used Aloe Rid?? Do you use the instructions on the bottle??

I have no baking soda in the house. how would that help if I put it in my condish? It's used to clarify, right? I would do one and not the other, right?

See, it's not that my hair is 'unable to get wet' it's just that when it is wet, it feels dry because its so rough. You know how when your hair is wet, its alway softer than your hair dry? I mena, my wet hair is pliable, but its rough to the touch. like sandpaper

WE MIGHT BE ONTO SOMEHTING!!!

ACV does clean. :yep: It cleans oils, dirt, etc. It does not clarify, which involves stripping product buildup.

I always mix my baking soda with conditioner to clarify - that way, I don't have to worry about stripping the moisture out of my hair along with the left over products....I use about a tsp of BS to about 8 oz of conditioner (yeah, I use a lot of con, my hair is THICK!)

Hrm. Yeah, you might have gone overboard with the ACV. Going too acidic will make your hair rough as well. The baking soda might help with that, too, since it's alkaline - it'll reverse some of the effects if you have over-acidified your hair.

:yep: I know exactly what you mean about it being rough to the touch - Hrm. That could be the over-acidification, as well.

tuffCOOKiE

ACV does clean. :yep: It cleans oils, dirt, etc. It does not clarify, which involves stripping product buildup.

I always mix my baking soda with conditioner to clarify - that way, I don't have to worry about stripping the moisture out of my hair along with the left over products....I use about a tsp of BS to about 8 oz of conditioner (yeah, I use a lot of con, my hair is THICK!)

Hrm. Yeah, you might have gone overboard with the ACV. Going too acidic will make your hair rough as well. The baking soda might help with that, too, since it's alkaline - it'll reverse some of the effects if you have over-acidified your hair.

:yep: I know exactly what you mean about it being rough to the touch - Hrm. That could be the over-acidification, as well.

I guess that's why I'm confused.. I just learned from Nonie that ACV can strip your proteins but it doesnt remove buildup?

Hold on, I'm about to Wash my hair w Con and do the Aloe Rid. Does anyone know how long I should leave it in?? Does everyone follow the instructions?

Nonie

I guess that's why I'm confused.. I just learned from Nonie that ACV can strip your proteins but it doesnt remove buildup?

Hold on, I'm about to Wash my hair w Con and do the Aloe Rid. Does anyone know how long I should leave it in?? Does everyone follow the instructions?

Not ACV per se. But a concentrated acidic solution, like ACV that isn't well diluted, can break down your proteins.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HAIR FACTS[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]pH and hair[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The key to the perming process lies in the fact that perming solution is alkaline. What exactly does this mean in relation to hair?
When scientists talk to each other about alkaline solutions and acid solutions, they need a way of measuring alkalinity and acidity. The scale they use for their measurements is called the pH scale.
The pH scale ranges from pH 1 to pH 14. All you need to remember is that acids have pH numbers less than 7. Alkalis have pH numbers greater than 7. The more acid the solution, the lower is the pH number; the more alkaline the solution, the greater the pH number.
pH is measured using special indicator papers which change color when the pH changes.
Hair responds to changes in pH. If a hair is placed in an alkaline solution it swells, and the scales of the cuticle lift. In a slightly acid solution, the scales lie smoothly and the hair is soft. In a strongly acid or alkaline solution, however, the keratin protein starts to break down.
[/FONT]

Source: http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_83.htm

JustKiya

Hrm, how to best explain it...... the interactions are different.
High levels of acid will negatively interact with protein - it's a chemical reaction, just like high levels of base will affect proteins (that's how relaxers works). Just because something is strong enough to affect your protein, doesn't mean that it's strong enough to strip mineral and silicone buildup, interestingly enough.

I don't know anything about Aloe Rid, but I'd follow the directions, for now, esp. if this is your first time using it. :yep: