Dry, Porous hair, Please help!!

Lovie

Hi, TC,
It sounds like you're trying to clarify away "rough" hair with AloeRid and ACV rinses and seal the roughness with Olive Oil ORS, Mayo, and other mixes with some protein in it. Rough hair usually means roughed up cuticles, and deeper moisturizing will smooth and seal your cuticles more than any other. Protein will reinforce and protect what you seal in with moisture, but it is easy to overdo it. Its much harder to overmoisturize, and easy to reverse if you do. :) Maybe you should consider using a rich, heavy moisturizer for this special case that you haven't been able to solve.

I would consider a 30-min (min) deep conditioning treatment with a rich, fat, humectant moisturizer. I gave some examples of products that you could try below, from $7 - $30 a bottle. All work. Sounds like you have enough protein. Even when you protein treat, moisturizing deep conditioning is still needed afterwards so that your hair doesn't "crackle" and become to stiff to move. Just helps keep the balance so your hair is smooth, healthy, swingy, and happy.

Examples of good moisturizing conditioners to use in general (or try as a deep conditioning treatment):

Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner $$20
- Available at Trade Secret, Beauty First, some BSS

Alterna Caviar Moisture Conditioner $$30
- Available at Trade Secret, Beauty First, Pure Beauty

Terax Crema Moisturizing Conditioner $$20
- Available at Sephora

Dove Intense Moisture Conditioner $5
- Drugstore, Wal-Mart, Target (white bottle with blue cap)

Clairol Hello Hydration Conditioner $5
- Drugstore, Wal-Mart, Target (baby blue bottle - ps the shampoo is no bueno)

Neutrogena Triple Moisture $7
- Drugstore, Wal-Mart, Target (orange bottle or jar)

Sorry you're hitting a bump. Don't worry, you will recover and be better off than where you first started.

PS: So far, Kenra is my fave. :)

Lovie

tuffCOOKiE

Hi, TC,
It sounds like you're trying to clarify away "rough" hair with AloeRid and ACV rinses and seal the roughness with Olive Oil ORS, Mayo, and other mixes with some protein in it. Rough hair usually means roughed up cuticles, and deeper moisturizing will smooth and seal your cuticles more than any other. Protein will reinforce and protect what you seal in with moisture, but it is easy to overdo it. Its much harder to overmoisturize, and easy to reverse if you do. :) Maybe you should consider using a rich, heavy moisturizer for this special case that you haven't been able to solve.

I would consider a 30-min (min) deep conditioning treatment with a rich, fat, humectant moisturizer. I gave some examples of products that you could try below, from $7 - $30 a bottle. All work. Sounds like you have enough protein. Even when you protein treat, moisturizing deep conditioning is still needed afterwards so that your hair doesn't "crackle" and become to stiff to move. Just helps keep the balance so your hair is smooth, healthy, swingy, and happy.

Examples of good moisturizing conditioners to use in general (or try as a deep conditioning treatment):

Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner $$20
- Available at Trade Secret, Beauty First, some BSS

Alterna Caviar Moisture Conditioner $$30
- Available at Trade Secret, Beauty First, Pure Beauty

Terax Crema Moisturizing Conditioner $$20
- Available at Sephora

Dove Intense Moisture Conditioner $5
- Drugstore, Wal-Mart, Target (white bottle with blue cap)

Clairol Hello Hydration Conditioner $5
- Drugstore, Wal-Mart, Target (baby blue bottle - ps the shampoo is no bueno)

Neutrogena Triple Moisture $7
- Drugstore, Wal-Mart, Target (orange bottle or jar)

Sorry you're hitting a bump. Don't worry, you will recover and be better off than where you first started.

PS: So far, Kenra is my fave. :)

Lovie

Thanks Lovie for the response!!!!

I'm in a towel, with a thunderstorm outside. I guess I have all these products that dont moisturize. I dont have any of the roducts you just mentioned. Not one.

As far as what I thought were moisturizing deep conditoners, I have:

Rene Furterer Karite- 'Intense nourishing, conditioning cream for very dry hair'
ORS Replenishing Pak (you know the yellow pak)

Silicon Mix (not real moisture)
Redken Real Control (not real moisture)
Dominican Wheat Germ (not real moisture)

So I guess I have only two choices!!

I will respond to ever one else-- I ahve to wach out the Aloe Rid

Lovie

I have Phytokarite and I like it alot... But you're right..that is a well-balanced protein conditioner too, which is why your hair feels so "strong" after using it.

If you like Phyto's line, here are good moisturizing only conditioners:
- Phytojojoba Conditioner $38 (Blue Jar -- Not the White One)
- Phytospecific Optimal Hydration Milk $28
- Phytosesame Express Hydrating Conditioner $32 ?

All available at sephora

Notice that nutrition often means protein (nutrients) and hydrate often means moisturizing (hydrogen, h20, etc). Of course, its best to check the ingredients to make sure you know what you're looking at.

BTW, if you have olive oil in the house hold cabinet, you can use that to tide you over for today.

Happy to help, and signing off. (I've been under the dryer too -- restocking on eBay) :)

tuffCOOKiE

It sounds like you don't have enough pure moisture in your regime.

Silicon mix is not a true moisturizer. You need something with more humectants. Real Control is a smoothing line which is little different than a moisturizing line.

My guess, you stripped your hair and you didn't replace your moisture stores yet. Instead your hair is recoated with products that are designed to seal what ever moisture is in your hair in but you don't have enough in your hair to seal.

I see what you're saying. I really do believe this was the issue. I guess now I need to figure out what a real moisturizer is or isn't. How can you tell? I fell all the descriptions say 'moisturizing', you know?

I thought I had my proteins down and my moisture down pact.:rolleyes: I guess after all this time, I still dont know jack..

tuffCOOKiE

I agree with JustKiya! I think you are using too many products. Avocado is protein and that mashed banana is a no, no on alot of people's hair including mine.

I suggest you pick one shampoo that will chelate and clarify. One moisturizing deep conditioner. That way you can pin point the issue. Mixing different products all at once can do more harm than good.

Before you relax please use a chelating/clarifying shampoo to remove the build-up or your relaxer will not process. HTH.

Thank youuu!! Do you always use a 'chelator' before you relax your hair? if so, what do you use?

It was the first time I used the Avocado and mashed banana, I'm still not sure if I was doing it wrong, applied it wrong or what.. it's just not the best for my air I guess..:nono:

Let me try to explain. I know it may seem I'm a PJ .. which I, kinda am. It's just that if one thing didn't work, I wasnt going to try and do the same thing again because I didn't have agreeable results last time. I really do think it was the ACV because that was done the second wash after my weave takedown.:wallbash:

LadyKaypnyc

My hair used to react the same way, until I realized that my hair hates heat...when I prepoo or do any sort of deep conditioner, I don't use any sort of heating caps and the problem was solved.

Oh, and I had to stop with the protein treatments for a while b/c my hair hates too much protein, that could be the culprit as well.

tuffCOOKiE

I have Phytokarite and I like it alot... But you're right..that is a well-balanced protein conditioner too, which is why your hair feels so "strong" after using it.

If you like Phyto's line, here are good moisturizing only conditioners:
- Phytojojoba Conditioner $38 (Blue Jar -- Not the White One)
- Phytospecific Optimal Hydration Milk $28
- Phytosesame Express Hydrating Conditioner $32 ?

All available at sephora

Notice that nutrition often means protein (nutrients) and hydrate often means moisturizing (hydrogen, h20, etc). Of course, its best to check the ingredients to make sure you know what you're looking at.

BTW, if you have olive oil in the house hold cabinet, you can use that to tide you over for today.

Happy to help, and signing off. (I've been under the dryer too -- restocking on eBay) :)

Thank You Lovie!!

No, my line is Rene Furterer. The jar is forest green with yellow/gole writing or lines. I haven't tried the Phyto version. I threw out the box for the one I have so I can't read the ingredients. i'm googling now to see if it's a moisturizer or a protein because that's what I ended up going with for the DC.

Thank you again for the advice!!

girlcherokee

I see what you're saying. I really do believe this was the issue. I guess now I need to figure out what a real moisturizer is or isn't. How can you tell? I fell all the descriptions say 'moisturizing', you know?

I thought I had my proteins down and my moisture down pact.:rolleyes: I guess after all this time, I still dont know jack..

same here:perplexed

Lovie

SistaSlick wrote a number of educational articles that helped me know which ingredients to look for. Here are some that you may find helpful too:

How to Select A Moisturizing Shampoo
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/313061/how_to_select_a_moisturizing_shampoo.html?cat=69

How to Select A Moisturizing Conditioner
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/313072/how_to_select_a_moisturizing_conditioner.html?cat=69

Hair Porosity Part 1
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/367189/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html?cat=69

Hair Porosity Part 2
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/375435/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html?cat=69

She published a few articles, to include info on self-relaxing, coloring, styling, establishing hair care processes for you, etc. Here is a link to a list of the articles she placed on associated content:

Hair Articles By SistaSlick
http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/83046/audrey_sivasothy.html

Her article, "selecting a moisturizing conditioner" tells you exactly the types of ingredients you should look for or stay away from.

tuffCOOKiE

SistaSlick wrote a number of educational articles that helped me know which ingredients to look for. Here are some that you may find helpful too:

How to Select A Moisturizing Shampoo
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/313061/how_to_select_a_moisturizing_shampoo.html?cat=69

How to Select A Moisturizing Conditioner
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/313072/how_to_select_a_moisturizing_conditioner.html?cat=69

Hair Porosity Part 1
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/367189/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html?cat=69

Hair Porosity Part 2
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/375435/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html?cat=69

She published a few articles, to include info on self-relaxing, coloring, styling, establishing hair care processes for you, etc. Here is a link to a list of the articles she placed on associated content:

Hair Articles By SistaSlick
http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/83046/audrey_sivasothy.html

Her article, "selecting a moisturizing conditioner" tells you exactly the types of ingredients you should look for or stay away from.

OMG!! I was just looking at this!! I found it on google. As I was looking through it though, I was hoping that she'd give some insight to the actual products used for porous hair. She said to use lines that were geared to color treated hair.

Also, I looked on Sephora and Karite is 'Nourishing' which is moisture!!:drunk: and I do see that some products from the line are 'Nutrition' which is protein. I'm so glad I picked that up. Thank you!!

lunabelle

Sorry this happened to you. When my hair craves moisture I mix ORS replenishing pak with Porosity Control Conditioner and that usually does the trick. Good Luck, wish I could help more.

tuffCOOKiE

Sorry this happened to you. When my hair craves moisture I mix ORS replenishing pak with Porosity Control Conditioner and that usually does the trick. Good Luck, wish I could help more.

Me too!! but you know what, I really think it was the ACV rinse that I did that ruined things for me. I dont think I diluted it enough. I used 1 cup ACV and 2 quarts water. One of the posters said that she uses 1/4 cup ACV to one BUCKET. I think its 2 gals.

tuffCOOKiE

:pepper: OMG LADIIEEESSSSS, :dance7:

AWESOME NEWSSSSS--

I:

- Washed with CON Moiusturizing Shampoo
- Used Aloe Rid for 5 min. Directions say three but.. whatever
Note: My hair after this felt a little weird. I was going to shampoo again (against the directions) but just 'stayed the course' and just went to theDC step
- Rinsed that out very thoroughly and decided to do the moisturizing condish- I used Rene Furterer Karite Nourishing Conditioning cream
- Did a 20 min exercise TV vid, then was under the head cap for another 20 min.
- Rinsed that out MY HAIR FELT GLOOOOOORIOUUSSSSSS and I put in
- Porosity Control for about 5 min.
- Roller set and will dry on moderate heat

I think I messed up on the last step because my hair wasnt as soft after I put in the Porosity control. :ohwell: I think I'm going to refrain from using it and use Dominican Rinses from now on if that works. My hair's just not 'soft and sleek' after the porosity control. I should have left that out.

Anyway, I think I pinpointed the issue to this. I've never done an ACV rinse and I've always had a problem with dryness. (I STILL can't get that right. I have porous hair which is.. awful.) So I thought that the ACV would help with sealing the cuticles but I used too much ACV. I used 1CUP for 2 QUARTS and it should be less than that.

I also thought that ACV would be helpful since I took out a weave and it would clean and clarify my hair but it doesn't clarify hair and it was eating at my (poor) proteins because it was too acidic I'm glad I know this now-- you have no idea.

I learned that I need to pick REALLY Moisturizing conditioners not 'fake-moisturizers' I think that may have been my problem for the last like... ten thousand years. I think I'm gonna have to be a PJ again and get s real moisturizing conditioner. I'm not going to be cheap with it either. A good deep condish is worth it.

I also learned from this lesson to not freak out. :rolleyes:

:pulpdance::grouphug2::urock::thankyou:

Seriously ladies, thank you.

gymfreak336

It can take time but you will get it.
The articles posted by Sistaslick are wonderful start.

My personal picks of quality moisturizing conditioners are Kenra mc, aubrey organics honeysuckle and rose, joico moisture recovery conditioner and the moisture recovery balm and the pantene mask is a great balance of moisture and silicones.

AtlantaJJ

No :cry3: this has never happened before. But no, I've never used ACV on my hair before taking down my weave. I used it as a clarifyer because I ran out of Suave Clarifying. do you think that may be it? I diluted the ACV so much!! and wouldn't it close my cuticle, not open it?

Also, yea, I'm not doing the avonana thing. I also tried that to soften my hair and did not work.

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING!!
I haven't read the entire thead but that was WAY to much ACV and that could be contributing to if not causing the problem in my opinion.

AtlantaJJ

AWESOME NEWSSSSS--

I:

Note: My hair after this felt a little weird. I was going to shampoo again (against the directions) but just 'stayed the course' and just went to theDC step
- Rinsed that out very thoroughly and decided to do the moisturizing condish- I used Rene Furterer Karite Nourishing Conditioning cream

I think I messed up on the last step because my hair wasnt as soft after I put in the Porosity control. :ohwell: I think I'm going to refrain from using it and use Dominican Rinses from now on if that works. My hair's just not 'soft and sleek' after the porosity control. I should have left that out.

Anyway, I think I pinpointed the issue to this. I've never done an ACV rinse and I've always had a problem with dryness. (I STILL can't get that right. I have porous hair which is.. awful.) So I thought that the ACV would help with sealing the cuticles but I used too much ACV. I used 1CUP for 2 QUARTS and it should be less than that.

I also thought that ACV would be helpful since I took out a weave and it would clean and clarify my hair but it doesn't clarify hair and it was eating at my (poor) proteins because it was too acidic I'm glad I know this now-- you have no idea.

I learned that I need to pick REALLY Moisturizing conditioners not 'fake-moisturizers' I think that may have been my problem for the last like... ten thousand years. I think I'm gonna have to be a PJ again and get s real moisturizing conditioner. I'm not going to be cheap with it either. A good deep condish is worth it.

I should start reading threads like this from the bottom up!! LOL I am so glad that worked out for you, the bolded above was the first thing that struck me as a red flag!!

Esq.2B

AWESOME NEWSSSSS--

I:

Did you use the aloe rid after the CON? I think you were supposed to clarify before the poo.

tuffCOOKiE

Did you use the aloe rid after the CON? I think you were supposed to clarify before the poo.

See, I've never used it before. On the directions, it says to Shampoo with Aloe Rid Shampoo, then put in the Aloe Rid Treatment. Then rinse, then DC w Keraphix or Humectress.

Welp, I didnt have the Aloe Rid shampoo so I used CON. and followed the instructions from there. Have you used this before?

tuffCOOKiE

I should start reading threads like this from the bottom up!! LOL I am so glad that worked out for you, the bolded above was the first thing that struck me as a red flag!!

OmG!!! where were you like, TEN YEARS AGOOOOOO... hahhaa, just kidding.

I seriously think that was the issue also. The women here have stated I kinda went overboard with that. I wish I knew. I thought I had the recipe right but when I looked again after all this it, the recipe i found online said 230ml of ACV..:wallbash:

Either way, im glad we got through this together.

Thank you for responding!!

tuffCOOKiE

It can take time but you will get it.
The articles posted by Sistaslick are wonderful start.

My personal picks of quality moisturizing conditioners are Kenra mc, aubrey organics honeysuckle and rose, joico moisture recovery conditioner and the moisture recovery balm and the pantene mask is a great balance of moisture and silicones.

I have the AO honey suckle rose shampoo :nono: it knots my hair.. I haven't tried the condish however.

I use the White Camelia condish, do you know if that's a moisturizer? I think it is.. my hair is usually great afterwards. I'm going to look into the Kenra MC and the Joico moisture recovery

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Esq.2B

See, I've never used it before. On the directions, it says to Shampoo with Aloe Rid Shampoo, then put in the Aloe Rid Treatment. Then rinse, then DC w Keraphix or Humectress.

Welp, I didnt have the Aloe Rid shampoo so I used CON. and followed the instructions from there. Have you used this before?

No, I haven't. :lachen: But my friend has.

The CON poo is moisturizing. It defeats the purpose to use the CON poo before the aloe rid. The Aloe Rid is removing whatever build-up is in your hair...and in the process it will remove the moisture from the CON poo too.

Should you ever try this again, clarifying should be first. Then use the CON moisturizing poo to replenish the moisture that the clarifying steps removed. Then continue with the remaining steps.

HTH

Irresistible

AWESOME NEWSSSSS--

I:

Glad you found some answers! Seriously I just dont mess with ACV or Baking Soda, despite the posts on them that are good, because of seeing SOOOOO many posts like this-If I dont 'NEED' it I just simply dont risk it! I think you should go back and use that conditioner that you used pre-porosity control and DC again to get your hair back to where it was before that step! :yep:

I read also that you used two kinds of protein treatments/conditioners, now that you have had plenty of protein and stripped your hair with ACV and Aloe Rid, now just give your hair plenty of moisture and oils

gymfreak336

I have the AO honey suckle rose shampoo :nono: it knots my hair.. I haven't tried the condish however.

I use the White Camelia condish, do you know if that's a moisturizer? I think it is.. my hair is usually great afterwards. I'm going to look into the Kenra MC and the Joico moisture recovery

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Try the conditioner. They are very moisturizing, full of fatty alcohols, oils, butters....The white camellia is a good one too. Kenra mc is also a great one you could find in a trade secrets or ulta. Cost effective too when you are able to get on the sale at trade secrets.

Pheonixx

HEY TUFFCOOKIE...

I'm so glad you got through your hair issue. :yep:
Don't feel bad...I thought ACV was a clarifier as well... Never used it though.

This is some good info in here...(going right in my bookmarks)...

Tamrin

unapologetic
My best advice to you : Keep it Simple. Stop using too many products at once. All you need is : 1 Good protein conditioner, 1 good Moisturizing condioner, 1 moisturizing poo (pref con) and clariying poo (or Baking Soda added to CON), 1 water based moisturizer and a good oil to seal in moisture.

After being a junkie, I have learned the hard way. Now my hair is happy.