Dyson Hair Dryer

GeorginaSparks

Dyson teased the event by sending out tiny, sharp motor parts to journalists (including this one), but now we get to see the rest of the thing. Unsurprisingly, the company's first foray into beauty is, perhaps predictably, a hairdryer. The Supersonic has all the design hallmarks of a Dyson: it's all circular and smooth, metallic with a splash of loud color. Compared to everything that's come before it, however, it's so... small.

Four years in development, the company spent $71 million (and took four years) to make its hair dryer, with the sort of specifications and research backstory of a car. The press release explains the 600 prototypes , over 100 patents pending, and a cast of 103 engineers that worked on it. It helps to explain the price ($400), but even salon-level hair dryers hover around the $300 mark. Founder James Dyson reckons existing dryers can be "heavy, inefficient, and make a racket."

"By looking at them further, we realized that they can also cause extreme heat damage to hair." He believes the Supersonic solves those issues. Three magnetically-connecting attachments can adjust the output for different hair styles, and include a diffuser and... can you tell I'm out of my depth? Those accessories have a "double skin", so that while the inner part gets hot, the outer stays cool.

However, the engineering jewel inside is a new V9 digital motor, which is Dyson's smallest, lightest motor yet. The company even drafted in a team of aero-acoustic engineers (new career goal) to tinker with the noise the Supersonic makes. The team increased the motors' blades from 11 to 13, which meant that one of the tones made by the motor was shifted beyond audible for humans. Sir James Dyson also noted at the press launch in Tokyo that it rotates fast enough (110,000 rotations per minute) to classify itself as ultrasonic -- if not quite super.

The entire dryer has also been weight balanced for easier handling -- something that isn't usually the case for hair dryers. You'll get to handle one for yourself later this year: the Supersonic will launch in the US exclusively at Sephora this September.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/27/dyson-made-a-hair-dryer/

Will you purchase? I will :look:

naturalmanenyc

I like some of their hand dryers but I'd need some reviews on this one before giving up my FHI Nano Pro 2000 hair dryer. I don't blow out my own hair much mostly because my arms get tired of holding the heavy blow dryer.

Last edited:

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I love everything DYSON! It's the best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned. I even convinced my daughter to get one..and she loves it.

I wonder if it has a long warranty like the vacuums.

I got a lavender ( my fave color) colored Shark this year for wayyy cheaper than a Dyson lol and I LOVE it and the reviews for it are excellent. It even has a lift away option so I can use it as a handheld. Huge upgrade from my old Bissell lol
What is so special about the Dyson?

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
Dyson's lane is making exceptional products :baby2:

I love his comment in the end where he said, "i work end and i deserve it so WTF." :lol: Im adding it to my christmas list or i might get it before then :look:
It's so lightweight and fast. That would change my life & hair straightening time.

Black Ambrosia

I'm not sure how I feel about it but the price isn't what first comes to mind. I need it to do something on an ionic level to help my drying and straightening efforts. It can't just be lighter. It needs to be like the first time you saw what a ceramic flat iron could do or even when you upgraded from ceramic to titanium. Better results are key. Less noise and weight are secondary features IMO.

ETA: If there was someway it could make detangling easier than I'd get it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

*CherryPie*

It sucks like crazy!!! The thing cleans extremely well. No belts and bags to replace, it doesn't lose suction, it's strong and sturdy, if something like a sock gets sucked up, it's easy to find it, and it has a 5 year warranty.

The main thing is how it cleans. Normal vacuums cleans the carpet. The DYSON cleans UNDERNEATH the carpet. That's how well it cleans.

When I used to use other vacuums, I used to go over everything more times because I knew it wasn't clean enough. When you use a DYSON, you just KNOW it's clean.

And it has a rinsable filter, and a easy way to toss the dirt...you hold the dust collector part over the garbage and push the red button, everything falls into the trash. That easy. No dirty work. :laugh:

I got a lavender ( my fave color) colored Shark this year for wayyy cheaper than a Dyson lol and I LOVE it and the reviews for it are excellent. It even has a lift away option so I can use it as a handheld. Huge upgrade from my old Bissell lol
What is so special about the Dyson?