Dyson Hair Dryer

Mapleoats

Is the hot air blowing between the closed plates or is it only coming down at that little vent on the side?

Mapleoats

I don't think her technique is all the way there but interesting to see the two products compared side by side.

dyson should just merge the air straight and corrale into one product, I think that would make it a truly versatile and travel friendly product.

Lylddlebit

Is the hot air blowing between the closed plates or is it only coming down at that little vent on the side?
I saw a video talking about airflow both between the plates and blowing downward from the downwards side, but I don't remember which one.

LiLi

So, I finally tried the Dyson Airstrait, and…. it’s okay. Not a game-changer for me the way RevAir was, when it first came out.

If you already have the RevAir, I don’t see the point in getting it. Unless you want to spend $500 for a travel dryer. But then, there’s the Supersonic as well.

^^That’s the overall gist. Here’s my full detailed first use review.

The settings I used:
Wet Mode: 175 degrees
Dry Mode: Boost
Didn’t really use the cold shot because I saw a video where it created static on the strands, for some reason

Technique: at first, I used it like I have seen others in videos doing it - very slow for each pass - the way you would with a flat iron. This would get my hair mostly dry with one pass, but the ends wouldn’t be that straight and would be kinda dry. After that, doing more passes or higher heat on Wet Mode didn’t help. I discovered that one swipe with Boost did fix it.
More than half way through, I realized quicker and more swipes is better. It could be because I used the lowest heat setting, but I found doing more passes quickly, created smoother, straighter and sleeker hair. To the point I didn’t really need to use Boost after.

Pros:
- It’s light! Doing my hair today didn’t feel like a whole arm and neck workout. While the new RevAir is lighter, it’s still a hassle holding it up and the hose being shorter, it tugs a little more. I’ve often wondered if it would be feasible to age with the RevAir dryer. With the Dyson, it was easy.

- Boost mode! This is by far and away the best feature of this thing. It turns the hair so soft and so supple! Not sure how. Maybe gives a boost of negative ions? It also is the highest blast of heat, though. So, I basically used it for doing a quick final pass. I compared the RevAir and the Supersonic to the same patch, and they didn’t give that feeling.
The Airstrait really does leave the hair feeling soft, not dry and not crispy like some dryers can, including the RevAir!
My gripe with the RevAir is that while smooth, my hair and ends end up kinda breaking, when I go to comb and short pieces of hair fall. I’ve found a quick pass with the supersonic on low heat gets rid of that. So, I’m left with using 2 dryers for every wash. Really annoying. This is the main reason I was hoping the Airstrait would provide better results.

- Idle mode. Nice and convenient feature, but I can take it or leave it.

- It does seem to dry a section really fast! It’s pretty dry after one pass. A few more passes gets it straighter and finishes it off, but again that’s on the lowest heat setting. Caveat: it’s fast when compared to traditional drying methods. I don’t see a big difference between the Airstrait and RevAir with drying time.

- It doesn’t tug

Cons:
- It’s hot! What I love about the Supersonic and RevAir is that I can dry my hair without seeing steam or smelling burnt hair, like with other dryers. But, with the AirStrait, it happens on all the settings, except the 175 degrees Wet Mode. The Boost in Dry mode I believe is the highest and you can see the steam blowing off, which made me uncomfortable, so I limited that to a last quick swipe, to finish a section.

- It doesn’t really straighten the ends that well. I’m relaxed, but unintentionally underprocessed the entire back half of my head last time, so it’s like an Afro when wet. The ends stayed pretty curly. To be fair, they didn’t get much straighter with the RevAir and slightly straighter with the Supersonic using tension method.
So, I really wonder if type 4 naturals will get much benefit from this. I think for naturals, RevAir is still superior.

- Getting the roots straight not as easy. I did the tension method on the roots and aimed the dryer at them like in the videos. I do like how the shape lets you get close to the roots to do this. But it’s the same way I do it with the Supersonic and concentrator. Also, (again maybe because I used low heat), the roots never really got super straight, the way I can with the RevAir. This is key because I do long relaxer stretches, and the RevAir is critical in helping me really stretch the roots. I’m only 3 months post, and I’m thinking I may be reaching for the RevAir the longer I stretch.
This is a great review and comparison! I am a type 4 natural and the Airstrait got my roots pretty straight. However, I only did a small section as a test. I am going to test a bigger section this weekend and compare it to another section using the RevAir. Do you plan on keeping the Airstrait?

secretdiamond

Thanks for that comprehensive review @secretdiamond it's really useful. And it’s how I thought it would be to be honest. I did have concerns about the heat, I find the curler function on the Airwrap to be very hot so I'm not surprised about that.

Regarding the Coralle, I actually like mine, it gets my hair straight in one pass. The only negative is I can’t really curl with it which is irritating.
I agree! I guess I should give the Corrale more credit.
Pros for me:
- Gets my hair and roots super straight with just one pass and on the lowest heat setting! Love that!
- I can curl/bump my hair with it. Creates tons of volume

Cons for me:
- Heavy
- While my hair initially looks sleek and shiny, the ends kinda frizz or slightly fray after like 30min-1hr and the sleekness dulls a little, for some reason. Several others showed the same in YouTube videos, especially when they compared to GHD. I thought it wouldn’t bother me ( cause I love volume). I thought it was because my hair was damaged, so I chopped it off. Nothing changed.
But it began to bother me, when I used the Hot Tools flat iron or hot tools curling iron, or the Steampod. My hair stayed softer, sleeker, shinier with all those tools, than the Dyson.

So, my thought is, for $600 (what I paid) is it really that much better than the rest??? And, is copper actually better than Ceramic, in terms of preventing damage or giving better results? These questions are what led me to believe that it’s not worth the price tag.

Last edited:

secretdiamond

This is a great review and comparison! I am a type 4 natural and the Airstrait got my roots pretty straight. However, I only did a small section as a test. I am going to test a bigger section this weekend and compare it to another section using the RevAir. Do you plan on keeping the Airstrait?
Thanks! I read your review as well, and it seems like you used the highest temp on Wet mode, and I used the lowest. I think had I used higher heat on Wet Mode, with as much heat as it puts out, my roots definitely can get straighter! Plus, it wouldn’t take as long? It still did a pretty good job though.

I also think, I started taking larger sections because of the time. With RevAir I can do larger sections, with my roots getting straight. With Dyson, it appears you just have to take smaller sections, which means more time. It definitely did not feel like the Dyson saved me time. I mean, unless I up the heat, but then that defeats the purpose of picking Airstrait over the Supersonic or RevAir - because I can achieve good results on low-med heat.

This is why I’m eager to hear other reviews, techniques, temps, etc. I can learn and see what works and if it’s worth keeping.
I’m leaning towards returning. If I didn’t have the RevAirs, I would definitely keep it. But, I don’t see that great of a difference or benefit over what I use now. But, Im willing to keep trying for another week?

Last edited:

LushLox

I agree! I guess I should give the Corrale more credit.
Pros for me:
- Gets my hair and roots super straight with just one pass and on the lowest heat setting! Love that!
- I can curl/bump my hair with it. Creates tons of volume

Cons for me:
- Heavy
- While my hair initially looks sleek and shiny, the ends kinda frizz or slightly fray after like 30min-1hr and the sleekness fills a little, for some reason. Several others showed the same in YouTube videos, especially when they compared to GHD. I thought it wouldn’t bother me ( cause I love volume). I thought it was because my hair was damaged, so I chopped it off. Nothing changed.
But it began to bother me, when I used the Hot Tools flat iron or hot tools curling iron, or the Steampod. My hair stayed softer, sleeker, shinier with all those tools, than the Dyson.

So, my thought is, for $600 (what I paid) is it really that much better than the rest??? And, is copper actually better than Ceramic, in terms of preventing damage or giving better results? These questions are what led me to believe that it’s not worth the price tag.

Yeah I’ve heard about people having problems with their ends after using it, fortunately I never really had that experience, it leaves my whole head very straight. It’s very nice to have, but I agree with you, it’s not worth all of that money, so I wouldn’t buy it again at that price point. But watch them come out with a new and improved Coralle 2.0 now! :lol:

I’m quite tempted by the Steampod 4.0 :look:

You're as bad as me, you have ALL of the top hair tools! :rofl:

secretdiamond

Yeah I’ve heard about people having problems with their ends after using it, fortunately I never really had that experience, it leaves my whole head very straight. It’s very nice to have, but I agree with you, it’s not worth all of that money, so I wouldn’t buy it again at that price point. But watch them come out with a new and improved Coralle 2.0 now! :lol:

I’m quite tempted by the Steampod 4.0 :look:

You're as bad as me, you have ALL of the top hair tools! :rofl:

WAIT!! There’s a 4.0 version out?!
yes, we’re both as bad, and look what you did telling me about this new one! :lachen:
That was fast! I only bought the 3.0 last year!
Off to research :look: devil:

LushLox

WAIT!! There’s a 4.0 version out?!
yes, we’re both as bad, and look what you did telling me about this new one! :lachen:
That was fast! I only bought the 3.0 last year!
Off to research :look: devil:

Yeah the 4.0 came out late last year I think. I believe it's only available in Europe at the moment, but it will be released in the US soon.

What stopped me from buying the 3.0 is that I would prefer a tool that can get close to the roots, the 4.0 version looks to be more slimmed down so getting to the root should be much easier.

The way I'm talking this up, it's likely to be in my future very soon! :lol:

secretdiamond

Yeah the 4.0 came out late last year I think. I believe it's only available in Europe at the moment, but it will be released in the US soon.

What stopped me from buying the 3.0 is that I would prefer a tool that can get close to the roots, the 4.0 version looks to be more slimmed down so getting to the root should be much easier.

The way I'm talking this up, it's likely to be in my future very soon! :lol:
That is really the main con with the Steampod…. Can’t get really close to the roots like you can with Dyson. Also, wish it had lower temps than 350, like Dyson, so that my hair wouldn’t be so sleek and have more umph. But, I know that with the steam to not wet the hair, the temp likely has to be at least a certain temperature.

Other than that, I absolutely love it. It actually feels like I’m putting moisture back into my hair when I use it. And, it doesn’t frizz back up at all (even in humidity, rain, shower, etc) and the style locks in! No flexi rods to keep a curl, no rollers, no steam rollers, no wrapping, pin curls, etc

At night, I literally just comb my hair back and tie a scarf. Next morning, all I have to do is fluff it up and comb it out, and it looks exactly as the day I first did it. I’ve gone 2 weeks and maybe used a bit of oil once or twice. That’s it.

I’ll love to know if you get the 4.0, and if it can get closer to the roots!

secretdiamond

Stumbled on this video that ironically gives almost the exact same comparison review I did above of the Steampod 3.0 vs Corrale.
Gives a visual of what I mean of the frizz the Dyson leaves after a while, but is awesome at getting to the roots. And, I do the same as she does: Dyson for the roots and Steampod for the rest. So, can’t wait to hear about the 4.0. Lol

LushLox

The SteamPod is an absolute dream, :love: those with the 3.0 will know that your hair needs to be totally detangled before using it otherwise it tugs. But once you have combed through properly it slides through like a dream. And the curl it gives are *chefs kiss* and the steam leaves my hair feeling so moisturised and soft. It will get your hair very straight too if that’s the look you’re going for.

And the shine is lovely, this pic isn’t just shine from the iron as I put some oil on it, but yeah it’s impressive.

Attachments

• IMG_8368.jpeg
    IMG_8368.jpeg
    731.1 KB · Views: 35

secretdiamond

The SteamPod is an absolute dream, :love: those with the 3.0 will know that your hair needs to be totally detangled before using it otherwise it tugs. But once you have combed through properly it slides through like a dream. And the curl it gives are *chefs kiss* and the steam leaves my hair feeling so moisturised and soft. It will get your hair very straight too if that’s the look you’re going for.

And the shine is lovely, this pic isn’t just shine from the iron as I put some oil on it, but yeah it’s impressive.
I’m so happy you bought it and love it!!! As always, your hair looks amazing!! :love:

And yes, I use a tangle teaser brush before each pass. At first, I removed the comb, but then realized the comb really allows the comb chase method for better results.

So jealous you have access to the 4.0! How was it with your roots?!
Just thought about it, and I was invited to Paris by a friend yesterday. I may just go and nab one while I’m there! :angeldevil:

LushLox

Thank you @Lylddlebit and @secretdiamond :blush:

I’m so happy you bought it and love it!!! As always, your hair looks amazing!! :love:

And yes, I use a tangle teaser brush before each pass. At first, I removed the comb, but then realized the comb really allows the comb chase method for better results.

So jealous you have access to the 4.0! How was it with your roots?!
Just thought about it, and I was invited to Paris by a friend yesterday. I may just go and nab one while I’m there! :angeldevil:

Yeah it got to and straightened my roots very well.

Before you buy one be mindful of the voltage issue. If the plug has too much power then you won't be able to use it in the US, so please research first before you spend that money.

Last edited:

Mapleoats

I have been patiently waiting for this review :lachen: It starts around the 28 minute mark.

if I could get results like this I would be very happy with the product. I would wear my hair out just like that tbh. Granted her hair is a looser texture than mine but still nice to see her results

I think. The key really is that the hair needs to be soaking wet to get good results

LushLox

This is an excellent review and closer to the results I think I would get
I would definitely wear this blow out out

The slip on that Miele Sea Moss gel mask is insane, great cheap buy!

Nice review. I don't know what to feel about using heat on dripping wet hair though, feel a bit wary about that.

She achieved a very good result, but I'm glad it's not available for me to buy right now. :look:

LHDC3

Living
This is an excellent review and closer to the results I think I would get
I would definitely wear this blow out out
Omgeee, this is my video (and so is the YouTube short in @Mapleoats previous post)!! I just looked at my analytics and noticed that the video was getting views from this site and it warmed my heart ☺️. Had to go pay my $6.50 so that I could post lol. I’ve been gone for a couple of years but I first started lurking on LHCF waaay back in 2008, then I would post a bit in the Health & Fitness forum.

Back on topic, it’s been over a week and I still have pretty minimal reversion despite doing a bunch of hiking and outdoorsy stuff. See photo from yesterday (no clue how to make it smaller!).

I didn’t want to like the Airstrait because I already have the Airwrap and RevAir but I’m sold on this one. I’m going to work on a side-by-side comparison of all three tools next. Happy to answer any questions you all may have!Hair photo.jpg

Last edited:

Mapleoats

@LHDC3 Aww thank you for coming in here!! You have such beautiful hair! Girl you sound just like me. I have the airwrap and revair as well and I definitely don't need the airstrait but it has (obviously) peaked my interest!

I cant believe that is over a week of blown out hair! Amazing! I would love to see your side by side comparison on the airstrait and revair. Do you think the air strait left your hair as soft as the revair does?

LHDC3

Living
@LHDC3 Aww thank you for coming in here!! You have such beautiful hair! Girl you sound just like me. I have the airwrap and revair as well and I definitely don't need the airstrait but it has (obviously) peaked my interest!

I cant believe that is over a week of blown out hair! Amazing! I would love to see your side by side comparison on the airstrait and revair. Do you think the air strait left your hair as soft as the revair does?

Thank you! I feel like I've just started to get a grip on heat stying within the last 8-9 months, it's been a journey! I'm also surprised that it's held up this long, especially considering that I live in humid Houston. As far as softness is concerned, I think it's similar to the RevAir results. It's honestly been a while since I've used my RevAir which got me thinking that a side-by-side comparison is warranted.