E-spirituality

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Seems like the Digital Age is not going anywhere anytime soon. As we spend increasingly more time online, what are some guidelines that are reinforced in your church / household / work/ circle of friends / individually when it comes to social media and use of the internet? It's kinda like what the world calls e-tiquette.

I'll go first:

* As a church, we are normally supposed to fast from food and social media as a collective, once every week. For me this means: no Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. Just WhatsApp in case of emergencies.

* In my solo household, I try to not be on social media after 10pm or before I've done my devotions in the morning.

* At work I tend to check my phone a lot, but since my apps are being disinstalled due to system overload :look:, I don't do it as often anymore.

* People in my circle of friends abhor social media and prefer to meet and talk face-to-face. One of my close friends is not even on Facebook at all. She recently joined Instagram though.

* Individually it's hard because I am somewhat of a hermit and really prefer e-communication :yep:. BUT...I've got to step out of my comfort zone. Other than this there are some guidelines I go by: I only post positive and uplifting messages, whether about my life or something going on in the world. I NEVER partake in the mass grief that takes place whenever something like a shooting goes by. What I do is bring it about in our prayer circle on Saturday, we pray about it, discuss it and continue to pray about it at home. I find this to be more effective.

Recently a lady from our church lost her sister in the DRC. I had planned to post something uplifting again, but as a token of respect for her grief, I didn't. So that whole day I didn't post anything and just let her be in my thoughts. Also, on FB, whenever I see that everyone has put a 'thumbs up' on a post or a 'heart', I follow suit. It's more beautiful to be 'in agreement' sorta say, rather than bringing discord if y'all know what I mean.

Your turn, let's discuss! :yep:

blessedandfavoured

Seems like the Digital Age is not going anywhere anytime soon. As we spend increasingly more time online, what are some guidelines that are reinforced in your church / household / work/ circle of friends / individually when it comes to social media and use of the internet? It's kinda like what the world calls e-tiquette.

I'll go first:

* As a church, we are normally supposed to fast from food and social media as a collective, once every week. For me this means: no Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. Just WhatsApp in case of emergencies.

* In my solo household, I try to not be on social media after 10pm or before I've done my devotions in the morning.

* At work I tend to check my phone a lot, but since my apps are being disinstalled due to system overload :look:, I don't do it as often anymore.

* People in my circle of friends abhor social media and prefer to meet and talk face-to-face. One of my close friends is not even on Facebook at all. She recently joined Instagram though.

* Individually it's hard because I am somewhat of a hermit and really prefer e-communication :yep:. BUT...I've got to step out of my comfort zone. Other than this there are some guidelines I go by: I only post positive and uplifting messages, whether about my life or something going on in the world. I NEVER partake in the mass grief that takes place whenever something like a shooting goes by. What I do is bring it about in our prayer circle on Saturday, we pray about it, discuss it and continue to pray about it at home. I find this to be more effective.

Recently a lady from our church lost her sister in the DRC. I had planned to post something uplifting again, but as a token of respect for her grief, I didn't. So that whole day I didn't post anything and just let her be in my thoughts. Also, on FB, whenever I see that everyone has put a 'thumbs up' on a post or a 'heart', I follow suit. It's more beautiful to be 'in agreement' sorta say, rather than bringing discord if y'all know what I mean.

Your turn, let's discuss! :yep:

Hi @Maracujá, I try to let Philippians 4:8 guide my online activities - "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

Just today, my pastor reminded us that we are Christ's ambassadors wherever we go, even on the internet! I try to keep that in mind.
God bless you loads!

Last edited:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I truly don't like social media, however I am there to give and share love and support whenever I can. There are some times when it's the only available platform to reach out to family members all at once. One 'click' and you have made everyone aware. It's a time saver for sure.

I have to admit that my children and I text each other every morning to 'check in' with each other. We spend more time on Facetime and talking on our phones than time online. We prefer this as a closer connection with each other. :yep: My poor iPhone is in need of a serious upgrade / replacement as it does not do well online; but I refuse to spend a huge number of dollars for a new phone.

I do have Bible apps on my tablet and iPhone. The convenience of these are a treasure to have as I am able to read the Word while in my travels a lot easier than carrying several books. At home, I treasure my actual Bible and my other study books and would never want to be without them. I have Bibles, Devotionals and study books all over my home and I love it.