Early Praise For Olaplex Shampoo And Conditioner

scoobygirl

I have not tried Olaplex 1&2 or 4 but I have tried 3 & 5. I am natural with fine strands and low density. Recently I started using the Brazilian Smoothing System to help with retention loss from breakage and tangles due to handling while styling. The Brazilian alone made a big difference but the Olaplex really helped take things to the next level. I've been using the #3 for the last 10 weeks and my hair looks shinier with less hair loss while washing. I started with the #5 (conditioner) just 2 weeks ago. It does feel wonderful, very moisturizing, but too soon to tell what the overall impact will be. I would like to work #3,4, and 5 into my permanent rotation but they are a bit pricey. I hope to use this the system at least once a week.

Jalen's Mom

I'm relaxed and did a standalone Olaplex treatment last Sunday, my hair came out amazing. I also used the Olaplex shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo truly you only have to use a very small amount, the conditioner I had to use more as I divided the sections. I used another mask after the conditioner. Both the shampoo and the conditioner are very very creamy, with a citrusy scent, very light,like grapefruit.

@danysedai How often do you use the standalone treatment? Is it the Olaplex 3?

Wenbev

I love olaplex. My stylist mixes it in with my color. I bought 1 and 2 on grou.pon for stand-alone treatments week 2 after relaxing and have been using for a couple months. I normally use 3 the day before I color. I didn’t bother buying the shampoo, but I used the conditioner and agree it’s very thick and left my hair feeling luscious. I don’t treat it as a dc and use it only 1x a month and a little goes a long way.

LdyKamz

Is the conditioner supposed to act as a protein? It doesn't feel particularly moisturizing to me. I actually like what it does for my hair...but as a protein and I have used a more moisturizing conditioner after it.

VinDieselsWifey

Is the conditioner supposed to act as a protein? It doesn't feel particularly moisturizing to me. I actually like what it does for my hair...but as a protein and I have used a more moisturizing conditioner after it.

It wasn’t moisturizing for me either. I followed it with a deep conditioner.

prettyinpurple

I used the conditioner for the first time a couple of days ago.

Products used:
Hair perfector (#3), shampoo, Olaplex conditioner (#5), color gloss.

My hair felt great after the conditioner. Nice and strong. I didn't feel the need to use a moisturizing DC.

I ended up air drying my and twisted it the next day. Hair still feels great.

I will definitely get the shampoo once I finish my neverending bottle. I'll still keep a clarifying shampoo on hand too.

Aggie

Still waiting on my Olaplex Shampoo, Protector and Conditioner that I ordered from September 9th. I called CosmoProf and they dispatched another package to me since the original package was shipped but never moved from it's original location when I ordered it. So we shall see :look:.

Aggie

MY OFFICIAL OLAPLEX UPDATE:

I skipped my Olaplex step 3 today since steps 1 and 2 were enough for now. I will try to remember to use step 3 during my next wash day.

By the way, that step #4 (shampoo) is the business.

It really is very concentrated, smells wonderful and cleaned my hair while maintaining softness. It's a hit and a keeper for sure.

Now as for step #5 - the rinse out conditioner):

My take on this one is that it did it's job as a rinse out, ie., strengthens and moisturizes. However, I believe it is the perfect conditioner for oilier hair types. If it had more slip than it did for our African American hair, it would not be suitable for oily hair.

So in my honest opinion, it was a perfect medium for both oily and dry hair. Now mind you, it did not leave my hair hard or dry. On the contrary, it had just enough moisture and just enough strengthening properties. So I would even go so far as to call it a balancing conditioner.

It is a hit for my hair. I just wished it came in 16 or 32 oz bottles because I can go through that 8 oz bottle with 3-4 washes alone. I will use it sparingly as best I can and try to get about 6 rinses out of it instead.

Last edited:

gemruby41

I skipped my Olaplex step 3 today since steps 1 and 2 were enough for now. I will try to remember to use step 3 during my next wash day.

It really is very concentrated, smells wonderful and cleaned my hair while maintaining softness. It's a hit and a keeper for sure.

My take on this one is that it did it's job as a rinse out, ie., strengthens and moisturizes. However, I believe it is the perfect conditioner for oilier hair types. If it had more slip than it did for our African American hair, it would not be suitable for oily hair.

So in my honest opinion, it was a perfect medium for both oily and dry hair. Now mind you, it did not leave my hair hard and dry. On the contrary, it had just enough moisture and just enough strengthening properties. So I would even go so far as to call it a balancing conditioner.

It is a hit for my hair. I just wished it came in 16 or 32 oz bottles because I can go through that 8 oz bottle with 3-4 washes alone. I will use it sparingly as best I can and try to get about 6 rinses out of it instead.
Great review! I really like the shampoo, but the conditioner not as much. The shampoo made my hair soft, and the conditioner made it feel a little stripped. I did not get any slip from it. I’ve mixed it with another conditioner, and it was just ok. I don’t know yet how often I want to use it. Olaplex 3 & 4 are a definite hit for me.

Aggie

Great review! I really like the shampoo, but the conditioner not as much. The shampoo made my hair soft, and the conditioner made it feel a little stripped. I did not get any slip from it. I’ve mixed it with another conditioner, and it was just ok. I don’t know yet how often I want to use it. Olaplex 3 & 4 are a definite hit for me.
Thank you @gemruby41. I had a great Olaplex day yesterday. I did use steps 1,2, 4, and 5. I skipped the Perfector treatment. I did end my wash day with using JMoniques Charcoal Treatment mixed with Naturelle Grow Rose Clay Mask, so my hair was super soft at the end of it all.

gemruby41

Thank you @gemruby41. I had a great Olaplex day yesterday. I did use steps 1,2, 4, and 5. I skipped the Perfector treatment. I did end my wash day with using JMoniques Charcoal Treatment mixed with Naturelle Grow Rose Clay Mask, so my hair was super soft at the end of it all.
How often will you use the shampoo and conditioner?

Aggie

How often will you use the shampoo and conditioner?
I plan to use them only after I henna my hair and of course, after I heat style/straighten my hair. I rarely ever put heat on my hair but I do henna my hair frequently - once every 3-4 weeks. So I guess once every 3-4 weeks would be my answer to your question. I'll only do extra if it is needed.

gemruby41

I plan to use them only after I henna my hair and of course, after I heat style/straighten my hair. I rarely ever put heat on my hair but I do henna my hair frequently - once every 3-4 weeks. So I guess once every 3-4 weeks would be my answer to your question. I'll only do extra if it is needed.
Thank you

LdyKamz

So in my honest opinion, it was a perfect medium for both oily and dry hair. Now mind you, it did not leave my hair hard or dry. On the contrary, it had just enough moisture and just enough strengthening properties. So I would even go so far as to call it a balancing conditioner.

Yes a balancing conditioner! Perfect description for the conditioner. I was trying to think of a better way to describe it than I have been. That's it. A while back I used to use a balancing conditioner once a month and then when I got the hang of my moisture/protein rotation I only used it when I couldn't remember whether I was on a moisture or protein week.

In other news, I have used Olaplex practically every wash day since I got it. My hair is doing great so I guess I needed this? I have zero breakage, my hair is super soft and maintains moisture very well. This with my shea butter and daily rosewater and glycerin spritz is doing my hair just right.

Aggie

Yes a balancing conditioner! Perfect description for the conditioner. I was trying to think of a better way to describe it than I have been. That's it. A while back I used to use a balancing conditioner once a month and then when I got the hang of my moisture/protein rotation I only used it when I couldn't remember whether I was on a moisture or protein week.

In other news, I have used Olaplex practically every wash day since I got it. My hair is doing great so I guess I needed this? I have zero breakage, my hair is super soft and maintains moisture very well. This with my shea butter and daily rosewater and glycerin spritz is doing my hair just right.
Glad I could help hon. This post reminds me of one my Aha! moments. Like you, I used a balancing conditioner in the past and my hair behaved the same way - it was simply perfect. My hair is wonderfully balanced right now.

I have been using a lot of moisturizing products in my hair lately so I believe that's why I didn't get the drying effect like some have experienced from the #5 Conditioner.

vevster

Yeah I returned the conditioner. I use the poo every week though.

BonBon88

I used #1 and #2 as a stand-alone treatment today after my henna treatment and I have to say these are winners. My hair is strong but soft and manageable all at the same time.

I did use a moisturizing treatment afterwards per the instructions. I never got #3, 4, or 5 as yet but at this point, I honestly don't know if I need them since the above gave me stellar results.

Thank you for this comment! I usually use 1 and 2 while in the shower, then rinse (without shampooing) and apply my henna. After a few hours (or sleeping with it in my hair overnight) I step back into the shower to rinse the henna out then shampoo with 4 and condition with 5. After this I deep condition, rinse then style. This routine has worked super well.

I may henna first next time to see if there’s a difference.

Aggie

Used my Olaplex system right after my last henna treatment on Tuesday and it still has my hair feeling really awesome. The #5 conditioner made my hair even softer this time than the first 2 times I used it. I wonder what's up with that :look:.

jamaica68

Used my Olaplex system right after my last henna treatment on Tuesday and it still has my hair feeling really awesome. The #5 conditioner made my hair even softer this time than the first 2 times I used it. I wonder what's up with that :look:.

Maybe your hair is getting used to the conditioner.

I've been hearing so much about this brand, I may try it after I use up some other products I already have.

Thanks for all of the info ladies.

BonBon88

Thank you for this comment! I usually use 1 and 2 while in the shower, then rinse (without shampooing) and apply my henna. After a few hours (or sleeping with it in my hair overnight) I step back into the shower to rinse the henna out then shampoo with 4 and condition with 5. After this I deep condition, rinse then style. This routine has worked super well.

I may henna first next time to see if there’s a difference.

@Aggie

As an update, I hennaed my hair first then used 1 & 2 and loved it! My hair feels like the finest silk and detangling was a breeze, with is amazing because my hair already felt great the way I was doing it before. Thank you :)

Aggie

@Aggie

As an update, I hennaed my hair first then used 1 & 2 and loved it! My hair feels like the finest silk and detangling was a breeze, with is amazing because my hair already felt great the way I was doing it before. Thank you :)
You're quite welcome. I henna first now as well, then apply steps 1 and 2. It still works well on my hair this way.

Aggie

Wellllll, finally Olaplex brought out a large size (67.62 oz) of shampoo and conditioner (their #4 and 5). I saw them on Cosmoprof.com for $100 each. This would be almost the equivalent of purchasing 7 of the 8 oz bottles and getting the 8th bottle free. Not sure if I'll get them yet though.

Last edited:

blazingbeauty

Can the #3 replace Aphogee 2 Step? Tempted to try something new for fun when I run out of Aphogee . I heard #3 can “repair” mechanical damage/weathering, not just chemical damage.