Early Praise For Olaplex Shampoo And Conditioner

charmtreese

Backstory: I used the Olaplex treatment 1-3 and while I was never really impressed I didn’t write Olaplex off. I just figured since I’m natural, rarely heat style, and don’t use color, the effects were just not that noticeable.

Fast-forward: The other day I was looking at hair products online and I noticed that Olaplex recently added a shampoo and conditioner to their line. Immediately I was intrigued. The reviews were excellent, so I figured I would give it a try. I went to Cosmoprof and picked up both the Shampoo and conditioner.

Last night: I used the shampoo and conditioner on my mom’s hair last night and all I have to say is if this shampoo and conditioner leaves my hair at least half as silky, smooth, and healthy feeling as my mom’s hair, Olaplex will move to holy grail status! When I tell you, that her hair didn’t even feel like hers…it had this silk like texture that was truly amazing.

The Shampoo: A little goes a long way. This shampoo is VERY concentrated! There were suds everywhere and I only used a dime sized amount. The shampoo cleaned her hair efficiently, and smelled of citrus fruits. Once all the suds were rinsed out, her hair felt moisturized, strong, and was easy to detangle. I was impressed, I had colored my mom’s hair, and her hair NEVER feels this good after getting it colored. The bottles are pretty small at 8.5 oz. I’m not too worried about going through the shampoo too fast, but the conditioner is also only 8.5 oz., and my hair really uses a lot of conditioner at one time.

The Conditioner: THICK….this stuff is pretty thick and it too is extremely concentrated. One nice squeeze (a little bigger than a quarter) covered my mom’s entire head. The instructions state to leave on for 3 minutes (this is not a deep conditioner, however I treated it as one), I used a heated cap and it was left on for about 2 hours. When I rinsed her hair, I could not believe how good it felt…It was like her hair got renewed or something!

I applied leave-ins lightly because I wanted to see how her hair felt after being blow dried and I didn’t want the leave-ins to skew the results too much. After blow drying her hair still felt VERY silky, strong, and moisturized.

I’m excited to see if Olaplex will make my hair feel the same way, even if it doesn’t, I will continue to purchase for my mom’s hair.

Moms Stats:

· Natural

· 4a hair (Mostly 4a with 4b/4c around the front edges)

· Fine

· Low density

· Color treated

· Overall good health

· Almost APL

I will update this post after my wash day on Monday.

gemruby41

Please post pictures of the ingredients of the shampoo and conditioner. They sound like amazing products.

danysedai

I'm relaxed and did a standalone Olaplex treatment last Sunday, my hair came out amazing. I also used the Olaplex shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo truly you only have to use a very small amount, the conditioner I had to use more as I divided the sections. I used another mask after the conditioner. Both the shampoo and the conditioner are very very creamy, with a citrusy scent, very light,like grapefruit.

Attachments

• 39155857_10156571655619233_2209675002079346688_n.jpg
    39155857_10156571655619233_2209675002079346688_n.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 130

gemruby41

I'm relaxed and did a standalone Olaplex treatment last Sunday, my hair came out amazing. I also used the Olaplex shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo truly you only have to use a very small amount, the conditioner I had to use more as I divided the sections. I used another mask after the conditioner. Both the shampoo and the conditioner are very very creamy, with a citrusy scent, very light,like grapefruit.
Did the shampoo and conditioner feel moisturizing or more like protein?

danysedai

Did the shampoo and conditioner feel moisturizing or more like protein?
The shampoo felt moisturizing but I'd have to try it again both by themselves as I used a protein mask after the conditioner. Almost all reviews I found for the conditioner said to use a moisturizing or protein mask as needed as they felt that the conditioner left their hair feeling dry.

ETA: My hair hates hates hates the conditioner. It leaves my hair feeling like straw. I had to do back to back moisturizing treatments and incorporate mid week cowashing to return my hair to its moisturized status.

Last edited:

gemruby41

The shampoo felt moisturizing but I'd have to try it again both by themselves as I used a protein mask after the conditioner. Almost all reviews I found for the conditioner said to use a moisturizing or protein mask as needed as they felt that the conditioner left their hair feeling dry.
Thanks

ColibriNoir

Beautiful hair!!!!:love4:

VinDieselsWifey

Ok so I took my box braids out that had been in for 2 months and used Eqyss Premier Conditioner to help detangle. It left my hair feeling very coated. I put my hair in about 6 twists. I washed my scalp with Jason dandruff shampoo. Then I clarified with Kenra clarifying shampoo. My hair felt squeaky clean at this point.

Then I used the Olaplex shampoo. You only need a pea sized amount to cover your whole head. It’s VERY concentrated. As soon as the shampoo touched my roots they felt like pure silk, almost like I had a fresh relaxer. My hair is natural 4a/3c in the front and back, 4a/4b in the middle. But only my roots felt like silk, the rest of my hair didn’t feel that way. The rest felt not squeaky clean but not moisturized either. I will try the shampoo again when I haven’t clarified first.

The conditioner is SUPER thick. I applied it to all of my hair. I always apply conditioner like you apply a relaxer because my hair is VERY thick. I sat under the steamer for about 20 minutes. It was late Thursday night & I was sleepy so I put a shower cap over my hair & went to sleep. I wear a wig to work everyday so it was no problem. Embarrassed to say that I just rinsed this stuff out this morning. It didn’t provide any slip or moisture for me, felt more like a reconstructor or treatment. My hair wasn’t hard though. It felt strong. I deep conditioned with The Mane Choice Green Tea & Carrot mask for 30 minutes under the dryer. I’m about to rinse that out now & moisturize and seal with Shea butter.

vevster

I have to agree with these reviews. Just waiting for my wash n go to dry.

I was in the market for a shampoo and saw the raves online and decided to give it a try.

Since #3 is the treatment #4 and #5 are the poo and conditioner respectively.

I’m on the train now with a fresh wash and go but I will say that the shampoo was fantastic. You need such a small amount. The bottle will last a long time. I could finger detangle with it and didn’t leave my hair feeling like straw. It’s great.

The conditioner has cones which I don’t use a lot of, but I’m trying the set.

The conditioner was ok going in, but if it the technology of the formula kicks in I’m with it too. It was fine. I used more conditioner than poo.
Both products had a light citrusy scent. I liked it.

My hair was nice to style easy to detangle. I used the SM JBCO Leave in with the Naturelle Grow Hibiscus leave in underneath.

Once my hair dried..... it left it super soft and defined. I’m keeping it.

Last edited:

Aggie

I have to agree with these reviews. Just waiting for my wash n go to dry.

I was in the market for a shampoo and saw the raves online and decided to give it a try.

Since #3 is the treatment #4 and #5 are the poo and conditioner respectively.

I’m on the train now with a fresh wash and go but I will say that the shampoo was fantastic. You need such a small amount. The bottle will last a long time. I could finger detangle with it and didn’t leave my hair feeling like straw. It’s great.

The conditioner has cones which I don’t use a lot of, but I’m trying the set.

The conditioner was ok going in, but if it the technology of the formula kicks in I’m with it too. It was fine. I used more conditioner than poo.
Both products had a light citrusy scent. I liked it.

My hair was nice to style easy to detangle. I used the SM JBCO Leave in with the Naturelle Grow Hibiscus leave in underneath.

Once my hair dried..... it left it super soft and defined. I’m keeping it.
Great review @vevster. Thanks for all the details. I haven't gotten the set yet but I do want to get it at some point. I just have too much stuff in my stash right now and don't want to add much to it until some of it moves out.

I haven't bothered much with coloring my hair either so the need for them isn't urgent at the moment. None the less, I like hearing great things about the set.

prettyinpurple

I got the conditioner this week during the Sephora sale. Pleasantly surprised to see that it is a bigger bottle (8.5 fl oz) than the hair perfector treatment.

I cannot buy any shampoo right now lol. Still trying to use up one that I've had forever. But I will try it next. If I like the shampoo and conditioner, I'll stick with the entire line. I already like the hair perfector.

LdyKamz

Yep that's what Sephora carries.

I'm excited to use the conditioner on next wash day. Still loving #3 (hair perfector).
I wrote "I think" because my scatter brained self can't remember if I got #3. LOL I posted upthread that I had put 4 and 5 in my cart a while back but I swear I ordered #3 too. I'm really hoping I did because I'm excited to use it tonight and if I didn't get it I'm about to be disappointed. :(

LdyKamz

So I did get 3. I used 3, 4 and 5 tonight. I'm not sure if I was supposed to shampoo first or not but I did with Joico Moisture Recovery shampoo. Then I towel dried and added 3 to my hair and let it sit for 10 minutes. After I rinsed, my hair was so soft but felt strong too. The way my hair usually feels after a good protein treatment.

Then I shampooed with 4. Like everyone said, a teeny tiny dime size amount was plenty. It lathered very nicely. I wish all shampoos were like this. Once I rinsed, the soft feeling was gone and my hair just felt strong. Not exactly dry or rough or squeaky clean but clean and definitely like I needed to condition. I liked it.

Then I added 5. Another tiny dime size amount was plenty with this as well. I did add a bit more only because if my hair ended up really moisturized I wanted all my hair to get the goodness. But there wasn't much slip like a traditional moisturizing conditioner. After I rinsed, my strands felt almost thicker if that makes sense. I ended up using Moroccan Oil Intense Hydrating Mask (first time trying this conditioner) and my hair doesn't feel soft but smooth and lighter.

I think I'm going to add Olaplex to my regular routine and use as a full system protein treatment once a month and anytime I straighten. It's nice to have a full set to use.

Aggie

I used #1 and #2 as a stand-alone treatment today after my henna treatment and I have to say these are winners. My hair is strong but soft and manageable all at the same time.

I did use a moisturizing treatment afterwards per the instructions. I never got #3, 4, or 5 as yet but at this point, I honestly don't know if I need them since the above gave me stellar results.

Last edited:

LdyKamz

I used everything again tonight. I shampooed with 4 first then did the 3, 4 and 5 steps. My hair was feeling very thick after. Like filled in? Does that make sense? The feeling is so hard to explain. After I finished I deep conditioned with Nexxus Humectress. You want to talk about soft and strong hair? Woooo chile. My hair feels great. I did a few big bantu knots using shea butter on the length of my hair and eco styler on the ends to really get a good hold there. My hair feels so light and and fluffy but also when I run my hands through my hair not one single strand comes out on my hand. I so wish I could wear my hair in this cute big fluffy fro to work. But you mean to tell me I might be able to use this stuff every week?

Aggie

I used everything again tonight. I shampooed with 4 first then did the 3, 4 and 5 steps. My hair was feeling very thick after. Like filled in? Does that make sense? The feeling is so hard to explain. After I finished I deep conditioned with Nexxus Humectress. You want to talk about soft and strong hair? Woooo chile. My hair feels great. I did a few big bantu knots using shea butter on the length of my hair and eco styler on the ends to really get a good hold there. My hair feels so light and and fluffy but also when I run my hands through my hair not one single strand comes out on my hand. I so wish I could wear my hair in this cute big fluffy fro to work. But you mean to tell me I might be able to use this stuff every week?
Great review @LdyKamz. Thanks for sharing your thought on your experience with these 3 Olaplex products. I can attest to the lack of breakage after using Olaplex steps 1 and 2 for sure.

I hadn't washed my hair in 2 weeks and I still only had just a few shed hairs when I was done my deep conditioning day on Saturday past. You are right on point when you said it left your hair feeling soft and strong.