Eating healthy to grow healthy

DivaD04

Is there a list of foods on lhcf for healthy growing hair?
If not do you ladies think we should start one?

I think its so easy to say we should eat healthy to grow healthy hair but sometimes...being young, I'm like what is that....what should I eat, apples and oranges?

Eating healthy for hair.
Water: One-fourth of the weight, of a strand of hair, is made up of water. Water makes your hair supple and soft therefore you should have enough water. Do not wait till you are thirsty keep drinking water. If you thirsty it means that you have lost water and your body is asking you to replenish the loss. Water keeps your hair silky and shiny as well.
Protein: A diet for healthy hair should be rich in protein as hair consists of primarily protein. Proteins will give your hair more strength and will prevent it from breaking and splitting. Eat protein rich foods like fish, meat, milk, cheese and cereals.
Minerals: A variety of minerals are important for healthy hair. Iron carries oxygen to the hair. Insufficient iron will starve the hair follicles of oxygen. Include red meat and dark green vegetable in your diet. Zinc prevents hair loss. Meat and seafood have a high content of zinc. To improve the natural color of your hair, incorporate copper in your diet. Fresh vegetables, nuts, seeds, meat and liver are high in copper.
Vitamins: You must ensure that you diet has all the necessary vitamins that help in the growth of healthy hair. Vitamin A makes your scalp healthy and is good for your skin as well. It is found in vegetables especially carrots. Vitamin B and C for hair growth and hair color. Include these vitamins in your diet will ensure that your hair is healthy and does not split. Eat fruits, vegetables, cereals, eggs, milk and bread.
Exercise: Along with a healthy hair diet it is important that you exercise properly as it will ensure that there is proper blood flow to your scalp and will help in the growth of hair.

Just like eating healthy helps make your skin more radiant and healthier, eating healthy also helps make your hair look awesome! Hair follicles rely on nourishment from your blood supply to maintain hair health. If you change your diet to make your hair healthier, do not expect to see a radical change for about 3 months. It takes that long for your hair to grow. So if you were to shave your entire head today, don’t expect to see any real hair growth for 3 months!
When your body is lacking in nutrients, your hair will suffer. Your hair will grow slower ad become dry. Nutrients are important in diet for many reasons. Beating this is simple, you can eat a well balanced diet rich in fruit and vegetables, with a minimum of two servings of protein a day and whole grain carbohydrates. As long as your hair is being fed your hair should grow on average a half inch per month, the hair will appear shinier, healthier, stronger and thicker.
The interesting thing I recently found out is that no amount of vitamins you can take orally will repair chemically damaged hair or split ends. What you eat will help you with certain types of hair conditions.

Oily Hair - Oily hair, if not genetic, is from the spices in your food. Any foods that cause the skin to sweat will also cause your scalp to sweat and increase the oils in your hair. Avoid eating spicy foods.
Dull Hair - Chemical processes cause hair to appear dull and lifeless as well as lack of protein in the diet. Bleaching, a common chemical practice for women will cause hair to appear dull. Bleaching is the harshest form of chemical treatment you can do to your hair. It breaks the hair cuticle and impedes the ability for light to reflect off the hair. The second reason hair may appear dull is the lack of protein in the diet. If you eat a gram of healthy protein per pound of body weight a day, your hair will become healthier and shinier. Healthy protein being lean meat, fish, dairy, poultry, nuts seeds or legumes.
Dry Hair - Dry hair is a key sign of a deficient amount of Essential Fatty Acids in your diet. If your hair is frizzy or fly away is a sure indicator of this problem. Eating fruits, nuts, seeds and oily fish like mackeral or salmon help this issue. These foods mentioned above also provide the body with much needed protein that allows hair to be healthy and shiny.
Slow Growing Hair - If this is your problem then you need more B Vitamins. B Vitamins provide the body with energy and are greatly needed for hair growth. If you are fatigued, lethargic, low energy chances are your hair grows slower the you’d like it too. Eating little and often will help keep energy levels up, and you may even lose some weight to top it off. Biotin also helps create thicker, faster growing hair. Eating more eggs, fish, milk, nuts and legumes help this problem.
Thinning Hair - Typically people with this issue are suffering from an iron deficiency. Make sure you are getting 14.8mg of iron a day, whether its by a vitamin supplement (which you should be taking anyway) or through the foods you eat. Lean red meat, dark green leafy veggies help gain more iron in your body. If you are taking vitamins, make sure you are not taking too much Vitamin A. To much Vitamin A causes hair loss and can become toxic in your body. The first sign of toxicity with this vitamin is hair loss.

tinkat

Thanks for sharing this info! Its very important to eat fruits,vegetables, milk, grains, etc etc. Water is a big one to that I need to get better on. Alot of us American lack these in our diet (especially fruits and vegetables).

DivaD04

Ur welcome, Girl yes, I told myself fruits n veggies are going to be on my menu this month, if my dd can do it, so can I. Every time we go to the store water, friuts n veggies are on her shopping list and get this, she's 3. My little healthy eater.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Excellent info. It's always good to be reminded of what you should eat for healthy hair and skin.

ImFree27

i just finished watching one of those moring shows and she said beans are good because it has biotin and also tomotatoes and oysters