Eczema on scalp

nomoweavesfome

Has anyone at one time or still does have eczema and it has reached your scalp? I have as a young girl had eczema in the back nape area which may have contributed to my signature thinness for as long as I can remember. From time to time I get that irritation on my neck very close to the nape. I'm afraid if I go to the dermatologist that whatever is prescribed may stunt my growth potential.

just curious if anyone has dealt or know anyone who has dealt with that?

HoneyDew

I have never had it on my scalp, but i have on my face.

Some natural oil/Essential oil mixtures may help - Coconut oil, hemp seed butter/oil, jojoba oil, etc. You can find all kinds of info online re: the benefit of oils.

You could try using Pine Tar Shampoo. I think the Grandpa's brand has one.

You could also try the Henna treatments that are so popular now. After doing much research, I found that these natural treatments are good for scalp problems. You could try a neutral henna (cassia obovata) paste.

Good luck.

Miss.Que

Yes in the past I had frequent eczema break outs on my scalp (mainly edges and nape area). These break outs also caused extreme hair breakage.
I have found a way to successfully combat this problem. When I feel or see any sign of eczema I mix cortizone cream and cocoa butter and put it on the effected area. Usually with in a few days it is cleared up.
I would not worry about any perscription affecting or stunting your hair growth. Please take care of your health first and don't worry the hair growth will come.

nomoweavesfome

Thanks guys, I will try all of the above methods. It's just so irritating especially the back nape area. It's sensitive to relaxers and everything. Now it's rearing it's ugly head with the help of MTG, SURGE, and MN. By the end of next month, I will begin to wear phony ponies but I'm so self - conscious of the breakage/rash. I just need SOMETHING.

melodee

If it's bad, get treatment. I've had it before, and my Dr. prescribed various things that never bothered my growth. Derma Smoothe is a great oil for treating scalp ailments such as eczema. It's greasy, but it's sooo effective.

Nizoral shampoo (OTC) is also very helpful. As long as you're not using it every day, you won't have dryness.

Getting help for it will serve your hair better than leaving it to wreck your hairline and cause pain.

melodee

A WORD OF CAUTION!

Girl, stop using MTG and SUrge!!! Those with sensitive scalps like ours cannot handle the chemicals in those products. If I had to pick, I'd say Surge is the offending product.

There have been several threads on Surge and the rashes it causes. It happened to me. Discontinue all products until the problem goes away...then you can try them again ONE AT A TIME(give yourself two weeks before adding another one) if you dare. But I'd say, just toss Surge. Your hair will grow with TLC!

HTH !:D

nomoweavesfome

really??? ok. That's a heartbreaker. Toss the Surge? AND the MTG??? I'm doing sooooo good on growth with the combo though!!!!!! unha unha unha!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: killin me softly.

But those products sound like they will work. I'll notify my dermatologist next appointment about those products.

thanks guys! ya'll are the best!!!

krissyprissy

I get flare ups on my arms and thighs. I use cortizone and lots of moisturizing.
My baby also has it and cortizone 2.5% keeps him clear.

rocky

I had an eczema breakout all over in the winter of 2003/04. It spread to my scalp and I suffered hair loss. A dermatologist prescribed meds. The skin ones were great but the only thing that really relieved and cleared up my scalp was Apple Cider Vinegar.

nomoweavesfome

rocky said:
I had an eczema breakout all over in the winter of 2003/04. It spread to my scalp and I suffered hair loss. A dermatologist prescribed meds. The skin ones were great but the only thing that really relieved and cleared up my scalp was Apple Cider Vinegar.

hmm - that is interesting because I DRINK apple cider vinegar everyday. Everymorning a tablespoonful in 16 oz's of water. Maybe I need to start APPLYING that stuff heh?

I'll try it!

thanks!

ebony757

I have always had Eczema on my skin but I have never had problems with it on my scalp until now. I aslo started using MTG recently. I think thats what caused my sudden flare up. No more MTG.:cry:

ebony757

I have always had Eczema on my skin but I have never had problems with it on my scalp until now. I also started using MTG recently. I think thats what caused my sudden flare up. No more MTG.:cry:

nomoweavesfome

ebony757 said:
I have always had Eczema on my skin but I have never had problems with it on my scalp until now. I also started using MTG recently. I think thats what caused my sudden flare up. No more MTG.:cry:

ebony don't say that!!!!!- melody says she thinks it is too!!!!!!
But it's growing my hair sooooooooo good!!!!!

This is awful!!